What's So Special About These Cars

Carbon82

Twincharged

that's VR4

1989-mitsubishi-galant-vr4-4ws.jpg

Anyone knows what the 2 bumps on the front fender for? Any use or just cosmetic only?

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Anyone knows what the 2 bumps on the front fender for? Any use or just cosmetic only?

Marker lights for ppl who cannot park. JDM cos Japan roads are tiny and made during an era when other cars in Jipun used poles as guides instead.

230669d1238685941t-mercedes-benz-parking

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 3

Marker lights for ppl who cannot park. JDM cos Japan roads are tiny and made during an era when other cars in Jipun used poles as guides instead.

230669d1238685941t-mercedes-benz-parking

how does it work?

Actually there are quite a handful of models having 4 wheel steering as a cost option in the late 80s to mid 90s, but most of them sold here in Singapore do not have it for the obvious reason: COST!

maxresdefault.jpg

Mazda-626-2.2-1988-4.jpg

nissan_cefiro_1988_images_1.jpg

1994-nissan-laurel-c34-hardtop-4.jpg

1993-toyota-camry-10.jpg

Looking forward, 4 wheel steering seems to be making a comeback recently, for it make the cars safer at sudden direction changes, faster in the corners and not to mention, easier parking.

Some of the new model which offer 4 wheel steering are:

renault_megane_estate_gt_9.jpg

2016-Renault-Espace.jpg

2015-Lexus-RC-side-profile.jpg

embed-porsche-panamera-2017.jpg

2017-mercedes-amg-gt-r-goes-official-wit

• Praise 11

The Europeans are about 20 years late wrt 4WS.  I remember the 4WS was dismissed as having unnatural feel and gimmick then when it was rolled out by Honda.

Now it is all praises.

• Praise 3

The Europeans are about 20 years late wrt 4WS.  I remember the 4WS was dismissed as having unnatural feel and gimmick then when it was rolled out by Honda.

Now it is all praises.

obviously cannot compare systems from 20yrs ago to modern day ones. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDka_YN0EKk

Had this system in the 5er i was driving in Germany. It really works and is just crazy.  

(edited)

obviously cannot compare systems from 20yrs ago to modern day ones. 

Had this system in the 5er i was driving in Germany. It really works and is just crazy.  

Of course I would like 4WS in my car as some of the carparks here are really ridiculously poorly designed, and my car needs 2.5 lanes to U-turn!

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 4

(edited)

how does it work?

The pole or the marker lights? For the pole, self explanatory (bonus info: the Mercedes S class W140 had retractable parking poles in the rear).

For the Galant marker lights, they are lit (in this case, a dim green light) backwards, facing the driver and turn on with the headlights so the driver will know where the front corners are. 

Edited by Mockngbrd
  • Praise 1

Of course I would like 4WS in my car as some of the carparks here are really ridiculously poorly designed, and my car needs 2.5 lanes to U-turn!

This reminds me of a vehicle that I had for about a year when i was around 20-21 year old.

The vehicle can do pivot steering of 360 deg without moving forward.

Here's a video of a similar vehicle (different purpose only) doing the same thing, but called neutral turn...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBbo3TelVnU

:XD:

• Praise 4

(edited)

What is one of the most important differences between this 2 units of 3rd generation Honda Civic Sedan (beside the refreshed look / change in the rear tail light cluster)? And I am not referring to the engine either.

Pre-facelift Model (1983 - mid 1985)

autowp.ru_honda_civic_sedan_62.jpeg

Facelift Model (late 1985 - 1987)

honda_civic_si_sedan_60.jpg

You are excused if you can tell the difference, but this feature, which we are so used to (and most will take it for granted), is still around today, as such, you might not know the "pain" without it. Yes, I am referring to the boot lid / the way the boot open.

For the pre-facelift model, the boot can only open at the top level (top cover), instead of all the way to the bumper level. The video below (not a very pleasant sight, but the only one I can find with a quick search on youtube) will give you an idea how small the boot opening was, and assessing items in the inner part of the boot is going to cause pain in your back, over a long period of time.

When the facelift Civic was introduced, special mention was made to highlight about how useful is the new boot (opening) design, as can be seen in the video below.

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 10

What do these car have in common?

Citroen-Grand_C4_Picasso-2007-1024-02.jp

Peugeot-3008-2010-1024-07.jpg

Mazda-5-2008-1024-17.jpg

mercedes_a-class_w34btt4.jpg

BMW-i3-2014-1024-07.jpg

Yes, they are all MPV in one way or another, but that is not what I am referring too. Still no clue, well, you are excused.

These cars has plastic, instead of steel for some of their body panel:

Citroen => Plastics fender wing

Peugeot => Plastics fender wing

Mazda => Plastics tailgate

Mecerdes => Plastics fender wing

BMW => Full plastics body panel

The key advantages of using plastics in-lieu of steel include but not limited to: 

- Weight reduction

- Corrosion free

- Dent resistance

- More flexibility in body design

- Certain type / grade of plastics (e.g. reinforce plastics) offer better impact resistance than steel

- Better sustainability (environmental aspect)

st_20160319_ycpug4_2148927.jpg

• Praise 10

What is that special thing about this MPV from Honda? Beside being the first large size MPV (almost comparable in size with Alphard/Vellfire & Elgrand) from this Japanese auto manufacturer, it has something else under it sleeve, or I should say, bonnet.

autowp.ru_honda_elysion_6.jpgautowp.ru_honda_elysion_7.jpg

The photos I have shown above is the 3.0L V6 variant, which has something innovative with its engine, i.e. Variable Cylinder Management system (VCM). So what is VCM and how does it work? 

VCM is Honda's term of variable displacement technology, which main aim is to save fuel, through deactivating some 50% of it cylinders, during specific driving conditions, such as coasting on highway.

The 'Variable Cylinder Management' V6 3.0-liter i- VTEC Engine (J30A) was first announced in Japan, on 18 June 2003, and installed in the JDM Honda Inspire (aka 7th generation Honda Accord). Below information was taken from Honda website.

Through new ‘Variable Cylinder Management’ technology, the V6 3.0-liter i-VTEC engine runs on all six cylinders during acceleration and when high output is required, yet employs only three cylinders during cruising and at low engine loads. The new engine thus combines the effortless performance of a 3.0-liter V6 engine, while offering superior fuel economy of 11.6 km/Liter — comparable to that of a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine. This new powertrain will debut in the new Inspire model scheduled for release in Japan June 19, 2003.

In addition to its low fuel consumption, this V6 3.0-liter i-VTEC engine also significantly reduces exhaust emissions, helping the Inspire meet Japan’s Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transportation requirements for Ultra-Low Emissions and 2010 fuel consumption standards, making it eligible for preferential ‘Green Tax’ treatment.

The ‘Variable Cylinder Management’ system analyzes throttle opening, vehicle speed, engine speed, and gearing to determine that the car is cruising, and then idles the intake and exhaust valves of the three cylinders in the rear cylinder bank. With zero valve lift, the cylinders are sealed, and no fuel is injected. Pumping losses are thus reduced by as much as 65% and low fuel consumption is realized. 

When operating in 3-cylinder mode, engine vibration is reduced by extrapolating vibration from the change in crankshaft rotation speed and sending the information to the ‘active control’ engine mount, which compresses/extends an actuator in same-phase, same-period motion to dampen the engine mount. Similarly, a speaker creates an opposite phase sound or ‘active noise control’, to provide a canceling effect, for a quieter interior which leaves the driver unaware of changes in cylinder activation. 

The engine was then put into the Elysion, making it the 2nd model from Honda Japan to have VCM technology. In the other part of the world (mainly USA), it was deployed also in the Accord, Odyssey, Pilot, and a handful of Acura models.

An improved version of VCM, known by Honda as Advance Variable Cylinder Management, was introduced in late 2007, and debut in the new Inspire (aka 8th generation Accord). Key differences is that the newer engine is allow it to go from 6 cylinders, down to 4, and further down to 3, depending on driving and load conditions.

For more information (and illustration), you may like to check it out on Honda website.

Till date, beside Honda, Chrysler and VW group has also introduce their own version of variable displacement technology, better know as Multi-Displacement System (MDS) and Active Cylinder Management (ACT) respectively.

• Praise 8

Turbocharged

What is that special thing about this MPV from Honda? Beside being the first large size MPV (almost comparable in size with Alphard/Vellfire & Elgrand) from this Japanese auto manufacturer, it has something else under it sleeve, or I should say, bonnet.

You mention special thing about Honda MPV... I am straightaway reminded of what @Fuelsaver demo to me...  :XD:

• Praise 1

You mention special thing about Honda MPV... I am straightaway reminded of what @Fuelsaver demo to me...  :XD:

Glad it did left an impression on you, be it good or bad :)

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Glad it did left an impression on you, be it good or bad :)

The steering angle display is one of those things probably don't get used much in practice, but still cool :XD:  

• Praise 1