What's So Special About These Cars

Carbon82

(edited)

Hi all,

Inspired by this thread, and with the blessing of @carbon82 [:)] , the sgCarMart Editorial team has come up with its own article on What's So Special About These Cars.

Take a read here.  [thumbsup]

http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/events_features.php?AID=3414

Thanks for liking what I have posted, and also inserting a link (to this thread) in your article. I would like to add some more info on the part about Hidden Umbrella. Actually the very special part about the hidden umbrella compartment in the Phantom is that it can also dry the wet umbrella, by circulating warm air into the storage compartment.

Beside RR, another inexpensive model from a "budget" brand also has it, and that is none other than my favorite Skoda Superb - all 3 generation has it. (I owned a 2nd gen Superb for close to 4.5 years).

2005016_skoda_superb_umbrella.jpg

SC18-SUPERB-umbrella.jpgfirst-2015-skoda-superb-commercials-show

Before that, the concept also make it into production model of 2006 VW Passat,

MVpvmfm.jpg

and certain batch of Golf & Jetta (European model).

volkswagen-passat-2007-tdi---29.jpg

It can also be found in the 2014 Chevrolet Impala.

KtARhi6.jpg

Wanna to guess which is the first car to have such design? Answer: VW Transporter in the mid '80s.

car-door-umbrellas-03.JPG

Interestingly, the idea was patented by various companies (including Nissan),  as early as in 1982, or 35 years ago! But it seems that not many put it to good use (in production model).

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 11

Turbocharged

Here's a small contribution from me;

This here is the utterly bonkers looking GT90's rear end.

Take a look at that ridiculous looking exhaust.

fordgt90conceptcar-2.jpg

Then have gander at the McLaren F1's engine bay...

03cf3af321e1971c954326f5b212d4e8.jpg

Now why would I be mentioning these two together?

Because both of them required extra special materials for insulation from their engines.

fordgt90-engine.jpg

The GT90's one-off spliced engine, a 6.0L quad-turbocharged DOHC V12 (the great grandaddy of modern day EcoBoost?  [laugh]) made of two Ford Modular 4.6 V8s with two cylinders lopped off each. The GT90's exhaust was claimed to be so hot it required special ceramic tiles similar to those used on the Space Shuttle to prevent the surrounding bodywork from melting.

The McLaren F1 on the other hand, built of a still incredible carbon-fibre monocoque and body panels, used a different solution, devised by Gordon Murray (the F1's chief designer), to stop that chassis from melting; approximately 16 grams of gold foil, a particularly efficient heat reflector, was used in each car to line the bay surrounding the BMW S70/2.

Besides that, since we mentioned the GT90, why not have a gander at its exotically colored space-age interior?

1995-ford-gt90-concept-dashboard.jpg

Fitting, for a concept with an equally space age exterior. The GT90 also had a pretty wild looking active wing: maxresdefault.jpg

And now for something completely different as a bonus, as it's relevant to this post's subject;

Meet the MTT Turbine Superbike:

a6a5af96192cb1e1a37ac5a47d00c91e.jpg

This thing has a 420hp (originally 320hp) helicopter turboshaft engine powering the rear wheel through a two-speed semi-automatic, which, according to Jay Leno, literally melted off the bumper of a car behind him.

• Praise 2

(edited)

Rear spoiler of a car used to look like these:

2013-acura-ilx-endurance-racer-rear-spoiSPL-AI94-BK-L-3.jpg

Spoiler-S550.jpg

Until retractable spoiler were made available on Porsche, Audi, BWM, Mercedes Benz, Chrysler and such:

2017-Porsche-911-Carrera-S-rear-spoiler-

maxresdefault.jpg9fffd886e320fe1ec31fefa23ac83b1c.jpgMercedes-AMG-GT-Carscoops55.jpgChrysler-Crossfire-2004-1600-33.jpg

But the one that really take the cake is none other then the 3 piece adaptive spoiler, found on the 2017 Porsche Panamera! Love it...   :wub:  :wub:

2017%20spoiler%20up%20and%20down.jpg

Jump straight to 38 sec if you can't wait to see how the spoiler was deployed, with style. [cool]

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 9

Turbocharged

Until retractable spoiler were made available on Porsche, Audi, BWM, Mercedes Benz, Chrysler and such:

But the one that really take the cake is none other then the 3 piece adaptive spoiler, found on the 2017 Porsche Panamera! Love it...   :wub:  :wub:

Jump straight to 38 sec if you can't wait to see how the spoiler was deployed, with style. [cool]

my fave porsche spoiler is actually still the active whaletail

997-carrera-rear-spoiler-copyright-stutt

The older Panamera's three piece also swee.

And of course I always remembered those on the F1 (well an airbrake), Veyron and of course GT90... But now I would love to have a 3GT simply because it has an active wing  :wub:

@ @Carbon82... maybe i'll write about active grille shutters ... or you can 

SGCM_editorial, on 31 Jul 2017 - 10:56 AM, said:snapback.png

Hi all,

Inspired by this thread, and with the blessing of Carbon82 [:)] , the sgCarMart Editorial team has come up with its own article on What's So Special About These Cars.

Take a read here.  [thumbsup]

http://www.sgcarmart...es.php?AID=3414

Regarding the F1's centralized layout I believe the main motive was placing the driver in the middle for the most perfect control... the extra chick spot and lack of need for conversions were bonuses.... but well don't quote me on that.

And re: the Citroen airbump...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTX_R85GMwM

Quite remarkably clever actually, Skoda clever even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfJqqQAmf44

Edited by 7hm
  • Praise 3

(edited)

my fave porsche spoiler is actually still the active whaletail

997-carrera-rear-spoiler-copyright-stutt

The older Panamera's three piece also swee.

And of course I always remembered those on the F1 (well an airbrake), Veyron and of course GT90... But now I would love to have a 3GT simply because it has an active wing  :wub:

@Carbon82... maybe i'll write about active grille shutters ... or you can 

SGCM_editorial, on 31 Jul 2017 - 10:56 AM, said:snapback.png

Regarding the F1's centralized layout I believe the main motive was placing the driver in the middle for the most perfect control... the extra chick spot and lack of need for conversions were bonuses.... but well don't quote me on that.

And re: the Citroen airbump...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTX_R85GMwM

Quite remarkably clever actually, Skoda clever even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfJqqQAmf44

Hi pal, really nice to find a 知音 (kahki) here. You go ahead to write about the active grille shutters, while I complete my original planned topic on the door edge protectors (what a perfect match with Citroen's Airbump). BTW, your favorite whale tail spoiler of Porsche reminded me of this.  [grin]  [grin]

911bbq600.jpg

Many a times, we experienced severe heart pain, when some careless / boh chap driver or passenger open their car door in full swing, and in the process, creating dents and scratches mark on our car. So when I was running through the press release (and introduction videos) of the 2016 Skoda Kodiaq, this feature captured my attention immediately: Automatic Door Edge Protector.

2017-skoda-kodiaq-price-set-from-21495-6

While there are many aftermarket protectors available, but the size and position where such stick-on / clip-on protectors were installed become a decisive factor to it effectiveness, and not to mention, it made the car less classy (with that unsightly plastic or rubber piece sticking out on the smooth surface of the sleek looking car body), imo.

So how does the one on Skoda works? It is a smart pull-out strips designed to protect the door edges against dents and scratches, everytime when the door was opened (and it will retract automatically when the door closed). Upon searching for more information, I then realized that Ford already introduce a similar system in its Focus, since 2012 (but I am not sure if it is a cost option, or simply available across the entire range). OK, video speak a thousand words...

For god sake, please place your attention on the protector mechanism, instead of the butt of that model in white, ok? [sly]  [sly]  [sly] 

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 8

Turbocharged

Hi pal, really nice to find a 知音 (kahki) here. You go ahead to write about the active grille shutters, while I complete my original planned topic on the door edge protectors (what a perfect match with Citroen's Airbump). BTW, your favorite whale tail spoiler of Porsche reminded me of this.  [grin]  [grin]

911bbq600.jpg

Many a times, we experienced severe heart pain, when some careless / boh chap driver or passenger open their car door in full swing, and in the process, creating dents and scratches mark on our car. So when I was running through the press release (and introduction videos) of the 2016 Skoda Kodiaq, this feature captured my attention immediately: Automatic Door Edge Protector.

While there are many aftermarket protectors available, but the size and position where such stick-on / clip-on protectors were installed become a decisive factor to it effectiveness, and not to mention, it made the car less classy (with that unsightly plastic or rubber piece sticking out on the smooth surface of the sleek looking car body), imo.

So how does the one on Skoda works? It is a smart pull-out strips designed to protect the door edges against dents and scratches, everytime when the door was opened (and it will retract automatically when the door closed). Upon searching for more information, I then realized that Ford already introduce a similar system in its Focus, since 2012 (but I am not sure if it is a cost option, or simply available across the entire range). OK, video speak a thousand words...

lol its a grille plate indeed. especially since the engine is right there

I think it's a cost option, seeing as I don't seem to recall it being equipped on our Focuses  :a-bang:

It'd be really nice if Ford had also expanded it across the rest of the lineup...

The commercial with the sumos I posted above is really funny  :D

as for writing about grille shutters... it may be a little while before I wriggle out of a lazy bout.  [sleeping]

Also gotta dig up on what cars do have it. I know many many modern contis do. Not sure which was the first consumer car to do so, although I know the 2012 Focus and Fusion had it as options...

Edited by 7hm
  • Praise 1

Sometime back in this thread, I shared about the Mitsubishi i, which has a rather rare mid-engine layout, especially so for a Kei car. And recently while browsing the web for mystery car for the Guess the Cars thread, I chance upon this forgotten one.

2nd Generation Honda Z (1998 - 2002)

autowp.ru_honda_z_turbo_2.jpegautowp.ru_honda_z_turbo_1.jpegautowp.ru_honda_z_turbo_4.jpeg

Beside the unusual mid engine layout (for a Kei car), it is only available in AWD, and come with a 4 Speed automatic transmission (the same unit deployed in the EF Civic).

z-x-ray.gif

And the bonnet as boot? Well, not really...

18tyi2vvhyyf1jpg.jpg

• Praise 7

Sometime back in this thread, I shared about the Mitsubishi i, which has a rather rare mid-engine layout, especially so for a Kei car. And recently while browsing the web for mystery car for the Guess the Cars thread, I chance upon this forgotten one.

2nd Generation Honda Z (1998 - 2002)

autowp.ru_honda_z_turbo_2.jpegautowp.ru_honda_z_turbo_1.jpegautowp.ru_honda_z_turbo_4.jpeg

Beside the unusual mid engine layout (for a Kei car), it is only available in AWD, and come with a 4 Speed automatic transmission (the same unit deployed in the EF Civic).

z-x-ray.gif

And the bonnet as boot? Well, not really...

18tyi2vvhyyf1jpg.jpg

Where is the fuel tank located for such cars? Under the seat or in the boot?

Where is the fuel tank located for such cars? Under the seat or in the boot?

Under the seat. As you can see, no more space in the boot already.

big_16177_0.jpegbig_16177_4.jpeg

And here is a larger diagram showing the mid engine layout.

1998_Honda-Z_09.jpg

• Praise 8

(edited)

There is something special about this Porsche Boxster Spyder... can guess it?

Porsche-Boxster_Spyder-2010-1600-03.jpgPorsche-Boxster_Spyder-2010-1600-19.jpg

No idea? Here is one clue, or rather, what is this thing found in it?

sEZnmu3.jpg

Got it?

Porsche-Boxster_Spyder-2010-1600-40.jpg

Yes, I am not pulling your leg, instead of having a regular plastics / metallic ring type door handle, Porsche choose to go with a pull strap. And the reason behind this "innovation"? Weight saving!!!

Porsche-Boxster_Spyder-2010-1600-42.jpg

Taken from a car review:

Inside you’ll find those lightweight sport buckets and optional Alcantara on the wheel, handbrake, and shift lever. The center console and dash trim wear the same color as the car’s exterior (quite dramatic in my test car, which was white with red leather and the contrasting white interior paint). Door handles are replaced by cloth loops — another small weight saving. In fact, if you’re really into jettisoning mass, Porsche will offer an optional lightweight lithium-ion battery-for about $3000.

OK, before some reader start to make nasty remark like "can buy Porsche, cannot afford to pay for fuel meh", all these weight saving trick contribute to a better drive and handling, according to... Porsche.

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 8

There is something special about this Porsche Boxster Spyder... can guess it?

Porsche-Boxster_Spyder-2010-1600-03.jpgPorsche-Boxster_Spyder-2010-1600-19.jpg

No idea? Here is one clue, or rather, what is this thing found in it?

sEZnmu3.jpg

Got it?

Porsche-Boxster_Spyder-2010-1600-40.jpg

Yes, I am not pulling your leg, instead of having a regular plastics / metallic ring type door handle, Porsche choose to go with a pull strap. And the reason behind this "innovation"? Weight saving!!!

Porsche-Boxster_Spyder-2010-1600-42.jpg

Taken from a car review:

Inside you’ll find those lightweight sport buckets and optional Alcantara on the wheel, handbrake, and shift lever. The center console and dash trim wear the same color as the car’s exterior (quite dramatic in my test car, which was white with red leather and the contrasting white interior paint). Door handles are replaced by cloth loops — another small weight saving. In fact, if you’re really into jettisoning mass, Porsche will offer an optional lightweight lithium-ion battery-for about $3000.

OK, before some reader start to make nasty remark like "can buy Porsche, cannot afford to pay for fuel meh", all these weight saving trick contribute to a better drive and handling, according to... Porsche.

It looks like the door opening lever has broken and the cheapo owner just use the strap to improvise it! To me, it does seem practical!

• Praise 4

(edited)

It looks like the door opening lever has broken and the cheapo owner just use the strap to improvise it! To me, it does seem practical!

Reminded me of what some owners used to do on the older Datsun, Ford, Toyota, etc.

DoorPanel2.JPG

Do these straps last?

Because the doors of the 2 door sports cars tends to be pretty heavy.

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 8