Fidget Spinners anyone?

Showster

Twincharged

My kid is going half crazy over this. Apparently, it is a craze in school now. Anyone bought one?

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/in-a-spin-over-use-of-fidget-toys-in-school

In a spin over use of fidget toys in school

1 of 2

The Straits Times journalist Alyssa Woo makes her own fidget toy using everyday objects to combat stress, restlessness and fidgety fingers.

PUBLISHED8 HOURS AGO

FACEBOOK85TWITTERWHATSAPPEMAIL

Debate rages on among teachers and paediatricians over gadgets that can help kids with ADHD

WASHINGTON • Kids love those fidget spinner toys. But are they too much of a distraction?

Ms Erin Silver Melissa Ferry is a big believer in the benefits of allowing students to use fidget toys in the classroom.

She points to research indicating that playing with fidget toys - little gadgets, cubes, putties and spinners - is effective in improving concentration and focus in students with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

She also has seven years' worth of anecdotal evidence that shows how beneficial they can be for some children.

"If we see students are unfocused, getting up to use the washroom, sharpening their pencil frequently or causing a disturbance, they might need a sensory tool to help them focus," says Ms Ferry, a special-education teacher at Ganiard Elementary School in Mount Pleasant, Michigan, who also writes for The Friendship Circle, a blog geared towards the special-education community. "There are lots of adaptive learning tools; just like some kids need glasses, others need fidgets."

She maintains a wide selection for her students to choose from, and she also helps them make stress balls filled with sand, oatmeal or flour.

Make your own fidget toy

Related Story

Feeling fidgety? There are toys that can help you focus

Ms Ferry points to one case study involving a sixth-grade classroom in Georgia, in which students who were given stress balls increased their average scores on a writing assessment from 73 per cent to 83 per cent; those with a medical diagnosis of ADHD improved their results by 27 per cent.

Her pro-fidget toy stance is a good thing for her students, now that the gadgets are all the rage.

Ms Cathy Siegel, owner of Party Rock, a small party-supply store in Toronto, says she began stocking the toys in February and now she can't keep them on her shelves. "It's craziness," she said. "This weekend, we sold over 200 spinners alone."

USEFUL IN CLASSROOMS

If we see students are unfocused, getting up to use the washroom, sharpening their pencil frequently or causing a disturbance, they might need a sensory tool to help them focus. There are lots of adaptive learning tools; just like some kids need glasses, others need fidgets.

MS ERIN SILVER MELISSA FERRY, a special-education teacher at Ganiard Elementary School in Mount Pleasant, Michigan, on how fidget toys can be beneficial for some children.

While some shoppers are buying fidgets to help manage ADHD symptoms, Ms Siegel says most customers buy them because they do not want to be the only one without it. "Once one kid bought one, everyone wanted one. It's a trend," she says.

They are so popular that some teachers have banned them from the classroom. Some schools in Manchester, England, made headlines recently when they announced a fidget toy ban, enraging parents of special-needs students.

"At first I thought it was brilliant that other kids had them because (my son) wouldn't have to answer any questions or feel awkward using it," one mum told the Manchester Evening News. "But now that they're being banned in schools, it means he will have to lose an aid that is extremely beneficial to him."

Seventh-grade science teacher Cory Sicard recently banned them from his class at Sierra Middle School in Parker, Colorado, and says many colleagues are doing the same. "The need for these spinners stemmed from a desire to control the symptoms of ADHD," Mr Sicard said. "Unfortunately, the spinners can also take children's attention away from what they are seeing and hearing. Plus, the spinning and movement serves as a distraction to other students in the room."

Theft is also an issue. "Now that kids can't pull them out in class, there's less incentive for others to steal them," Mr Sicard said.

"Out of sight, out of mind, which is how most of the kids feel towards them now."

NOT JUST CHILD'S PLAY

These little gadgets should be called fidget tools, not toys, and they can be part of a successful strategy for managing fidgety behaviour if they are introduced as a normal part of the classroom culture.

MS CLAIRE HEFFRON, a paediatric occupational therapist in Cleveland, who is concerned about outright bans on fidgets and says the whole discussion needs to be reframed.

Mr Sicard says parents were understanding. Even students were supportive. "Most kids will pull out a fidget spinner in class and are easily distracted by it, also distracting other students around them," wrote Jade Miracle in the school's student-run newspaper, the Sierra Summit Online. "Students can also forget these items in the classroom if they leave in a rush; putty will most likely end up on a floor, or stuck to a computer; fidget cubes or spinners can be forgotten under or on desks, then found and taken by another student."

Despite such support, outright bans on fidgets concern experts such as Ms Claire Heffron. A paediatric occupational therapist in Cleveland, Ms Heffron says the whole discussion needs to be reframed. "These little gadgets should be called fidget tools, not toys, and they can be part of a successful strategy for managing fidgety behaviour if they are introduced as a normal part of the classroom culture," she says.

Ms Heffron says there needs to be rules about when and how fidgets can be used if they are to be part of an effective learning strategy. Fidgets should also be part of a much larger discussion, she says, about managing behaviour in classrooms and what the school day looks like for children.

"Kids spend a lot of time sitting in class, and recesses are shorter than ever at 15 or 20 minutes. Developmentally this doesn't even come close to the amount of movement kids need in a day," says Ms Heffron, co-author of child-development blog The Inspired Treehouse and author of the book Sensory Processing 101.

Ms Heffron says students are also feeling increased pressure over standardised testing, which, combined with the decreased movement, results in an overflow of problem behaviour in school. "We need to come up with strategies to meet it," she says. "Fidget tools are a profound piece of the discussion, but they are just the tip of the iceberg."

Dr Julie Schweitzer, a clinical psychologist at the Mind Institute at the University of California at Davis, has been studying ADHD for 25 years.

Her 2015 study, published in the journal Child Neuropsychology, measured the impact of fidgeting on cognition among a group of children aged 10 to 17. Her work revealed that students with ADHD performed better on a computerised attention test the more intensely they fidgeted. Meanwhile, typical children did not improve their test scores with fidgeting. While her test results were interesting, she cannot endorse fidget toys yet.

She points out that people have been fidgeting for years (think the Rubik's Cube), and that chewing gum or tapping your foot might be less disruptive but just as effective in satisfying a need to fidget. "We need to study (these toys) to find if they make a difference and for whom," Dr Schweitzer says.

In the meantime, experts say fidgets can be successfully incorporated in classrooms, with the following rules to minimise disruptions to learning: If you're not using it, leave your fidget on the table or keep it in your desk. When you need it, use it in your lap so others do not see you playing with it. Teachers should explain that fidgets are a learning tool, not a toy. Parents can talk to their kids about how and why fidgets are used in school and at home, to reinforce these guidelines.

WASHINGTON POST

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic

buy it for him/her if she really wants one.

But best way to get kids not to fidget is for them to sleep at least 8-9 hours a day, and cut out the sugar.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

Unless u really have ADHD or am trying to break a habit like biting your nails. No need to have one.

Hypersonic

my daughter bought one, played for like 2 days or so

now dunno where it was discarded

Twincharged

Saw a kid playing with one on Saturday . . . . . ehh where to get ahh? ToysR'us?

Any mamak shop or those selling gadgets should carry.

I also have 4 at home, Haha....

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Saw a kid playing with one on Saturday . . . . . ehh where to get ahh? ToysR'us? 

buy from qoo10 if can wait (delivery time)

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Unless u really have ADHD or am trying to break a habit like biting your nails. No need to have one.

I Guess I have ADHD, or used to have.

Love to spin it then rotate the toy to feel the force.

Supercharged

I bought form Sim Lim sq.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

I Guess I have ADHD, or used to have.

Love to spin it then rotate the toy to feel the force.

no lah. It's no different from people spinning pens in class last time.

Anyway it's just a craze. 90% of the kids probably would forget about this in a few weeks.

• Praise 1

6th Gear

Current craze in school. My son's classmate got one that cost $200+. Really that ex??  Probably good therapy for ADHD sufferers. To me more of a distraction than to prevent people from fidgeting.

Twincharged

Current craze in school. My son's classmate got one that cost $200+. Really that ex?? Probably good therapy for ADHD sufferers. To me more of a distraction than to prevent people from fidgeting.

200+!

Hypersonic

Current craze in school. My son's classmate got one that cost $200+. Really that ex??  Probably good therapy for ADHD sufferers. To me more of a distraction than to prevent people from fidgeting.

wah..$200+!! head spinning more than the fidget

[hur]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1