• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
107 replies to this topic | 479 praises

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:53 PM

Jaason3138
  • Premium member
    Jaason3138
    Neutral Newbie
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

What's the best care or best practice? Do we have to switch off our aircon and media player before turning off engine? Any thoughts and considerations? Will it harm the batteries or fuse and etc... please comment
Philipkee and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:58 PM

Phang
  • Premium member
    Phang
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

it will harm the switches and shorten their life
Soya, Volvobrick, RadX, Picnic06-Biante15, Vratenza, ins1dious, Atonchia, 3 other members and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:36 PM

Philipkee
  • Philipkee
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

What's the best care or best practice? Do we have to switch off our aircon and media player before turning off engine? Any thoughts and considerations? Will it harm the batteries or fuse and etc... please comment

I have a friend who switches off the aircon and lets it run in fan mode as he enters the car park to park. Reason he gave is that it would allow the condensate at the aircon to evaporate faster cos when the car is not moving and there is a lot of water around the aircon bacteria can grow and you start breathing it when you next on the aircon.

But I don't share his view but that's his logic.

Another friend will switch off the stereo system before he switches off the engine but that is because he is playing a cd on it and he is quite anal of it being ejected "properly" rather than switching it off while it is still playing. So not sure if this point answers your question cos he is not switching off the radio but rather the CD player. He claims it will prolong life of the CD. I also don't agree but I am the kind who can just pull out USB without clicking the eject button or switching off a laptop with USB still inside the laptop then yanking it out. So not too sure if he is right in the sense of prolonging the lifespan of cd by ejecting it properly.

Edited by Philipkee, 16 May 2017 - 09:40 PM.

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:37 PM

Victor68
  • Victor68
    6th Gear
    Author Image

My humble opinion. Switching off AC and Media player will not harm your battery but a good habit. More of the AC because it draws more current than any of the equipment in the car.

However, it is better to start car engine first before switching on AC because starting current is already very high. Although the compressor of the AC may not have cut in yet, the total current draw will shorten your battery life.

Based on this theory, start/stop the engine too often, you know what happen. [bigcry] But many manufacturers claim they have taken that into consideration when designing their car and battery.

Some may not agree with me. So it is for you to try out.

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:41 PM

Tianmo
  • Premium member
    Tianmo
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I off everything before i off engine. And on engine before I on everything else.

This has been a habit for many years.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

so far, none of my cars has spoken to me on is it good for them or are they happy with it.  [:p]

Edited by Tianmo, 16 May 2017 - 09:54 PM.

Kangadrool, kykh, Xanavi, Atrecord, Kklim, Buadongdong, SGCMmaomao and 3 other members praised this
芸芸人海,罪孽深重,神佛不渡,唯我魔渡

with the spirit of the MCF tiko club..............We are................ TIKO RANGERS!!!

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:51 PM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Walau....these sound so analogue. Might as well say better turn off a/c, headlights, stereo manually each time b4 start-stop function kick in
Davidtch and Volvobrick praised this

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:30 PM

uniquely_ad
  • Premium member
    uniquely_ad
    4th Gear
    Author Image

I have a simple answer

I buy a car to let the car serve me, not the other way round
Steptronic, SGCMmaomao and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:54 PM

Mockngbrd
  • Mockngbrd
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I off everything cos laupokchia
Tianmo praised this
Garage36.com

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:58 PM

Kangadrool
  • Premium member
    Kangadrool
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I manual operate everything even though comes with auto this and that. Yes, I deactivated auto headlights, auto wipers, autolock doors...

I buy a car for me to command, control and dominate it, not the other way round. :grin:

Edited by Kangadrool, 16 May 2017 - 11:00 PM.

Victor68, Tianmo and Stratovarius praised this

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:11 PM

flashbang
  • Premium member
    flashbang
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Left the car to do what it wants to do regarding aircon and stereo. 2017, not 1987.

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:19 PM

Phang
  • Premium member
    Phang
    5th Gear
    Author Image

when I was a new driver and younger, I have many many "driving rituals" too..

i.e. step on clutch before cranking, wait for check engine light to go off before cranking, make sure everthing is power down before the next cranking, install turbo timer for turbo car etc.

now I still practice some old habits, I start the engine first before I adjust the memory seat to my setting and yell at my wife for not doing so.
Atrecord, Mits_jc and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:21 PM

kykh
  • Premium member
    kykh
    4th Gear
    Author Image

I have a friend who switches off the aircon and lets it run in fan mode as he enters the car park to park. Reason he gave is that it would allow the condensate at the aircon to evaporate faster cos when the car is not moving and there is a lot of water around the aircon bacteria can grow and you start breathing it when you next on the aircon.

But I don't share his view but that's his logic.

Another friend will switch off the stereo system before he switches off the engine but that is because he is playing a cd on it and he is quite anal of it being ejected "properly" rather than switching it off while it is still playing. So not sure if this point answers your question cos he is not switching off the radio but rather the CD player. He claims it will prolong life of the CD. I also don't agree but I am the kind who can just pull out USB without clicking the eject button or switching off a laptop with USB still inside the laptop then yanking it out. So not too sure if he is right in the sense of prolonging the lifespan of cd by ejecting it properly.

Haha, do we know one another? :) I've been practising exactly what you described your first friend did since my first car, and that's what Honda had recommended too:

http://www.autoindus...car-aircon.html

Furthermore this helps to conserve energy, as even after the aircon has been switched off with the fan remaining on, cool air will continue to be blown for a period of time that is usually sufficient for one to have parked his or her car.

I'm also worried that the CD may be jammed in the CD player if the player is not switched off properly before cutting off the power supply. 

Lastly, switching off the aircon, fan and audio before switching off the engine will help to avoid excessive drawing of current when the engine is being restarted. However little the help may be, it does not inconvenient me by doing so anyway and has become my driving habit, while I've not found any switch being spoiled as a result.

Interestingly, I found that there is only mute but not off button for the audio system in my wife's new car, so maybe switching off the radio or CD player does not matter ;)

Tianmo, Atrecord, Buadongdong, alphard96, Mazda2gal and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:13 AM

Benarsenal
  • Benarsenal
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

On older cars I will off the aircon first before turn off engine. Newer cars I don't bother.

Nowadays got sophisticated climate control etc, just leave them be la.

Tianmo, Atonchia and Roadrunner2029 praised this

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:20 AM

Volvobrick
  • Volvobrick
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I never bother with turning off anything before shutting down the engine, nor starting it with minimal "load".

Nothing has ever happened to any of the more than 10 cars I have had before, including turbo'ed ones that could be attributed to my laziness.

Some modern cars will auto blow the air con for a while after engine is stopped, and also delay engaging the compressor.  Perhaps that helps too!

Tianmo, Soya, SGCMmaomao and 2BDriver praised this

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:57 AM

Xanavi
  • Premium member
    Xanavi
    5th Gear
    Author Image

I off everything before i off engine. And on engine before I on everything else.

This has been a habit for many years. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

so far, none of my cars has spoken to me on is it good for them or are they happy with it. [:p]

I do this for all the time I drive. 99% of the time. Simple and fuss free. Didn't even think of the rationale. Just habit. Like switching off lights and fans when leaving house. Haha..

TS, dont think so much. Prolong or not, maybe differences is minimal, no statistics, but batt, 2year change. Engine just regular servicing. Alternator, 7 years? Aircon, mine around 7 year change compressor, and clutch. Also dont know is it normal or not. Dont think so much.
Think about what beer to drink tonight bro!

i.e. step on clutch before cranking, wait for check engine light to go off before cranking, make sure everthing is power down before the next cranking, install turbo timer for turbo car etc.

now I still practice some old habits, I start the engine first before I adjust the memory seat to my setting and yell at my wife for not doing so.

You mean brake or clutch?? Dont yell at wife lah... cheers.
Tianmo, SGCMmaomao, Volvobrick, Mazda2gal and 1 Anonymous member praised this
發啊!

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:30 AM

RCTP
  • Premium member
    RCTP
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

I switch off aircon and head unit before switching off engine. Wait for check engine light and some lights to extinguish before cranking engine (not applicable now cos of push start button). And when my cars stopped having temperature gauge, I wait till the cold engine light extinguish before moving off.

No real reason or logic behind it, just habits carried over from previous cars. And those habits form from a mixture of strict rules to follow if wanna drive father's car to driving instructor last time informed.

Like I also don't turn my steering wheel when I'm completely stationary, last time drive those old vehicles no power steering. I only switch between R and D when the vehicle is completely stationary.

So yeah, for me even though I do most of those stuff it's just due to habit.
Tianmo and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:56 AM

Axela72
  • Axela72
    6th Gear
    Author Image

What about auto headlight and auto wiper? Do we just left it auto or better to switch off before turn off engine? Ty
NoT foR tHe FaInT HeArt! CLICK & JOIN ME IF YOU DARE!

Knight
http://world5.knight...m...45&ref=link

Vampire
http://world8.monste...d&vid=190036371

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:06 AM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

At home what do ppl do? Do they off the socket switch of the things like TV and aircon or do they use the remote control first? Same for your PC/laptop?

So what do you think? For cars, no need to care?

Think before you comment. Don't just blurt out what others might say. Ask yourself what is the purpose of a on/off switch then?

Edited by Watwheels, 17 May 2017 - 08:15 AM.

The chosen one will bring balance to the Force...I mean Singapore. Even star wars do not reserve "the chosen one" to a sith lord or a jedi or a wookie.

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Wah sei....long time neber hear ppl mention turbo timer.

Brings back memories of cassette tape, aiwa mini compo, Brother Beyond, etc.....LOL

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:20 AM

Atrecord
  • Premium member
    Atrecord
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Haha, do we know one another? :) I've been practising exactly what you described your first friend did since my first car, and that's what Honda had recommended too:

http://www.autoindus...car-aircon.html

Furthermore this helps to conserve energy, as even after the aircon has been switched off with the fan remaining on, cool air will continue to be blown for a period of time that is usually sufficient for one to have parked his or her car.

I'm also worried that the CD may be jammed in the CD player if the player is not switched off properly before cutting off the power supply. 

Lastly, switching off the aircon, fan and audio before switching off the engine will help to avoid excessive drawing of current when the engine is being restarted. However little the help may be, it does not inconvenient me by doing so anyway and has become my driving habit, while I've not found any switch being spoiled as a result.

Interestingly, I found that there is only mute but not off button for the audio system in my wife's new car, so maybe switching off the radio or CD player does not matter ;)

I also read decades ago that it'll help to prolong the life of the, i think, battery (or was it the aircon), if we switch off the aircon before cutting engine. 

And i've been doing that religiously.

Then only maybe 2-3 mth ago, read in Sat's ST Life/motoring section got those letters written in on this exact topic, and the reply was that vehicle technology has improved a lot from about 10-15 yr ago, and that it is no longer necessary to do so.

I've been trying to search for that article, but couldn't find it.

What car is your wife driving? I also thought for ~3 wk since collecting my car that the headunit radio can only mute but not off. Two days ago, called up manufacturer, and learnt that it can be off. But only the technician knows, even the second person (the first was recept) i spoke to, who explained to me the different icons and the instruction manual, etc., didn't know...

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: aircon engine audio, engine and 5 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users