Switch Off Aircon and Media Player before Turning Off Engine

Jaason3138

I have a friend who switches off the aircon and lets it run in fan mode as he enters the car park to park. Reason he gave is that it would allow the condensate at the aircon to evaporate faster cos when the car is not moving and there is a lot of water around the aircon bacteria can grow and you start breathing it when you next on the aircon.

But I don't share his view but that's his logic.

I tried but stopped after finding out that when the aircon is turned off, the coolant temperature will increase above the "normal". 

On the bacteria issue,  I send it for cleaning at AD. 

↡ Advertisement

I tried but stopped after finding out that when the aircon is turned off, the coolant temperature will increase above the "normal". 

That should not be happening. Your temp should actually be going down slightly with the ac off le. 

Turbocharged
(edited)

For me it's simple, if I expect to be turning engine on and off then I turn off the air-con as I also don't believe it's good to repeatedly switch states of the compressor...

But on a day to day basis the radio/air-con I leave on, they automatically start normally. The entertainment system is practically always on and auto-stops when a door is opened while ignition is off.

I don't think I will save much battery by turning off the air-con, because the car consumes more fuel to supply the air-con when it's running. What will affect battery though is having air-con running without engine running (i.e. only in Accessory mode)

Edited by 7hm

That should not be happening. Your temp should actually be going down slightly with the ac off le. 

The data from two different cars were as such.

AFAIK,  some folks like to switch off AC during causeway jams.  

While I don't know all the reasons,  for some,  perhaps is to prevent heating.

In that sense,  it is exactly the opposite. 

Supersonic

last time no turbo timer people will say the heat will cook the engine oil spoiling the shaft, bearings and seals of the turbocharger.

now my turbo car got eco stop-start, suka suka kill the engine. Initially I thought the engine has electric motor driven oil pump and water pump but no, they are still engine driven.

speaking of turbo timer, it was a cool thing to have till some NA car also install turbo timer... haha

Yeah, remember reading on some forums last time ppl asking where to fit turbo timer.....for their Vios! LOL!

Supercharged

The data from two different cars were as such.

AFAIK,  some folks like to switch off AC during causeway jams.  

While I don't know all the reasons,  for some,  perhaps is to prevent heating.

In that sense,  it is exactly the opposite. 

pretty strange... cos turn off aircon engine work less harder as no need to power the aircon so coolant temp should not go up...

Yeah, remember reading on some forums last time ppl asking where to fit turbo timer.....for their Vios! LOL!

maybe they snail charged their vios leh.. :yeah-im-not-drunk:

Supersonic

pretty strange... cos turn off aircon engine work less harder as no need to power the aircon so coolant temp should not go up...

maybe they snail charged their vios leh.. :yeah-im-not-drunk:

If ppl lup snail in their Vios, they shld be asking where to buy life insurance instead of turbo timer....

Twincharged

nowadays, even after the engine is switch off and door is lock, my car still running for 2 mins with fan running. So I suppose its doing some cycling down of the engine and cooling it down.

Supercharged
(edited)

If ppl lup snail in their Vios, they shld be asking where to buy life insurance instead of turbo timer....

actually in Thailand there is a turbo version (factory fitted) on the model 2 gen back... but not sold in SG... however some ppl import the turbo mod to fit it locally...

https://paultan.org/2005/11/26/toyota-vios-turbo/

nowadays, even after the engine is switch off and door is lock, my car still running for 2 mins with fan running. So I suppose its doing some cycling down of the engine and cooling it down.

it does for some car... radiator fan to further cool down the engine...

Edited by Xers007

My understanding is that the cooling system includes the AC, fan and radiator.  

E.g. in the Chevrolet Optra twin fan design,  when the AC is off,  the temperature is allowed to

rise to just above 100 degrees Celsius before the twin fan kicks in to rapidly force cool the radiator

back to 90+ degrees Celsius.  If the AC is on,  the cooling systems maintains the temperature at 

87 degrees Celsius (IIRC). 

Also,  there are 2 types of AC compressors - variable displacement and fixed displacement. 

For variable displacement, how hard the AC work an be controlled compared to fixed. 

(edited)

The first thing when i am seated in the car before touching anything at all. Ask my wifey anything to talk about? Nothing ok i start engine now. Hahaha

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

On the bacteria issue,  I send it for cleaning at AD. 

On some cars, turning on the aircon will start another fan.

Maybe that's why you find the coolant a bit "cooler".

My Caddy van had 3 fans, 1 or 2 fan starts when the aircon is turn on, otherwise, it remains off, even when the engine is running.

From outside, you may not be able to tell how many fans your car actually has. It may be hidden from view, but they are stacked together.

Supercharged

The first thing when i am seated in the car before touching anything at all. Ask my wifey anything to talk about? Nothing ok i start engine now. Hahaha

same here, I will wait for the moment of silent in the cabin before I crank the engine as I want to hear and count the cranking duration.

(edited)

I am getting to enjoy my current ride's convenience:

-Stop the car in the parking lot

-press the park button

-press the Engine start/Stop button

-Open door to get out of the car

-close door

-touch the handle to lock the car

-walk off.

In future if they come up with telepathic control for cars, I'll be the first to sign up for it. :D

it's true what they say about getting older and getting lazier....I think is just me..... :D

I remember it's already very popular in the 80s. Edited by Atonchia

same here, I will wait for the moment of silent in the cabin before I crank the engine as I want to hear and count the cranking duration.

Mine more like...Let go north for meal..After start engine maybe we should go south instead. Bo bian.