Switch Off Aircon and Media Player before Turning Off Engine

Jaason3138

Turbocharged

For me it's simple, if I expect to be turning engine on and off then I turn off the air-con as I also don't believe it's good to repeatedly switch states of the compressor...

But on a day to day basis the radio/air-con I leave on, they automatically start normally. The entertainment system is practically always on and auto-stops when a door is opened while ignition is off.

I don't think I will save much battery by turning off the air-con, because the car consumes more fuel to supply the air-con when it's running. What will affect battery though is having air-con running without engine running (i.e. only in Accessory mode)

In fact nowadays modern cars have a lot more logic built in. In my car, the aircon only switch on after engine is started. For radio I think it switches on at the same time, but needs about 2-3 seconds before it is operational and got sound coming out of speakers.

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

In fact nowadays modern cars have a lot more logic built in. In my car, the aircon only switch on after engine is started. For radio I think it switches on at the same time, but needs about 2-3 seconds before it is operational and got sound coming out of speakers.

Agree, nowadays cars are more advanced.

When you crank the engine, everything else is shut off, headlights, aircon, etc, by the computer.

Only after the engine started, are the aircon and headlights allowed to turn on.

So in fact, the car builders already know the issues and have built this into the latest cars.

For older cars, you still need to manually turn off/on this and that.

I read my car manual and still can't figure out how to off the Air-con.

When press Air-con off, the fan will still blow.

I still cannot find what is the ambient temperature or why the fan will auto start before I enter the car or once I open the door.

So I just leave that as it is.

The radio too.

Turbocharged

Agree, nowadays cars are more advanced.

When you crank the engine, everything else is shut off, headlights, aircon, etc, by the computer.

Only after the engine started, are the aircon and headlights allowed to turn on.

So in fact, the car builders already know the issues and have built this into the latest cars.

For older cars, you still need to manually turn off/on this and that.

Yes, I forgot about headlights. Mine is left in auto position and they only switch on after engine is started.

Supersonic

I still cannot find what is the ambient temperature or why the fan will auto start before I enter the car or once I open the door.

The radio too.

Aircon and blower fan is 2 separate thing.

Aircon usually means running the compressor + blower fan.

However, you can just run the blower fan without running the compressor, in that case, you "don't have aircon" but just fan.

• Praise 2

On some cars, turning on the aircon will start another fan.

Maybe that's why you find the coolant a bit "cooler".

My Caddy van had 3 fans, 1 or 2 fan starts when the aircon is turn on, otherwise, it remains off, even when the engine is running.

From outside, you may not be able to tell how many fans your car actually has. It may be hidden from view, but they are stacked together.

It seems regardless of the number of fans,  the operation is somewhat similar 

i.e.  AC on,  temperature is kept at lower limit and AC off, temperature allow to rise before being kept to a lower limit.

I suspect it maybe relating to heater.

The only part I am still trying to figure out is why the fan on the Toyota Corolla Altis and old Honda Civic would turn on as if it was on a timer during cold start. 

Agree, modern cars are so much advanced..  

Just last night, my car just "told" me that the battery on my key fob is low !

This morning,  my car again "told" my key fob is still in the car - I brought 2 key fob, one left inside the car, one in pocket.  I was trying to lock the car. 

[laugh]

It seems regardless of the number of fans, the operation is somewhat similar

i.e. AC on, temperature is kept at lower limit and AC off, temperature allow to rise before being kept to a lower limit.

I suspect it maybe relating to heater.

The only part I am still trying to figure out is why the fan on the Toyota Corolla Altis and old Honda Civic would turn on as if it was on a timer during cold start.

Agree, modern cars are so much advanced..

Just last night, my car just "told" me that the battery on my key fob is low !

This morning, my car again "told" my key fob is still in the car - I brought 2 key fob, one left inside the car, one in pocket. I was trying to lock the car.

[laugh]

Nice!

I am still looking for my spare key fob. I wish my current one could tell me where is the spare one.

Nice!

I am still looking for my spare key fob. I wish my current one could tell me where is the spare one.

If you find it, maybe can tag it with a tracker !

Turbocharged

The radio too.

Mine got one climate control power button that will turn off the entire thing including fan, and another A/C button that shut down the cooling/heating system only it seems

Most of them can be smarter than their drivers  :wacko:

Why else would the car actually have signal stalk?  :a-fun:

If ppl lup snail in their Vios, they shld be asking where to buy life insurance instead of turbo timer....

Amazingly, the actual reason was mental horse power +500mhp than the +15bhp after force induction.
  • Praise 1

The radio too.

My previous Renault ride is like that too. The "AC OFF" button only switches off the AC, then fan is still running. So need to lower fan speed till zero to switch off the fan too.

Seems rather troublesome as my ride before that and ride after that all have master AC switch, ie press it switch off means everything off.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

My previous Renault ride is like that too. The "AC OFF" button only switches off the AC, then fan is still running. So need to lower fan speed till zero to switch off the fan too.

Seems rather troublesome as my ride before that and ride after that all have master AC switch, ie press it switch off means everything off.

I think for Renault, when you start your enigine, only ac fan is running and air circulation is outside air. You need to swtich on ac manually and change to internal circulation.

OK for fan to run when you start engine because fan draws very small current. the idea of drawing outside air is also good as it provide fresh air into the cabin. once your engine starts, you can do the rest.

they are actually very advance in many areas. that is my experience with Renault

3rd Gear

All the cars that I own or driven cuts off electricals to accessories such as radio and aircon.

The saying that aircon is drawing current when the engine is being started is not true.

However, I still don't on the aircon before I start the engine, just a habit.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

If too much worry, just go for the World Cheapest Car.

Breakdown then scrap and get another one...

[:p]  [:p]

Edited by jasonteo86

I tot KITT is black in colour!?

kitt is only the voice right.

The car was so well groomed, it reflect the blue sky.

↡ Advertisement