Switch Off Aircon and Media Player before Turning Off Engine

Jaason3138

(edited)

Mine got one climate control power button that will turn off the entire thing including fan, and another A/C button that shut down the cooling/heating system only it seems

Most of them can be smarter than their drivers :wacko:

Why else would the car actually have signal stalk? :a-fun:

Ok I found the right method for my car.

Same as my previous car

AC button only off AC, fan still blow.

Turn fan volume knob to off will also turn off AC.

If overturn too much anticlockwise, goes to high speed fan. The knob is free turning one.

And the climate control part only set temperature cannot turn on/off.

Edited by Atonchia
↡ Advertisement

The only thing I do nowadays is to engage the handbrake before setting the gear to P, just to ease the pressure on the transmission. Not sure if it helps though.

Turbocharged

The only thing I do nowadays is to engage the handbrake before setting the gear to P, just to ease the pressure on the transmission. Not sure if it helps though.

It doesn't help unless you take your foot off the brake before you pull the handbrake. The car won't roll as long as you are stepping on the brake, and if it doesn't roll then it doesn't matter whether you pull handbrake before P or P then pull handbrake.

Some people have a bad habit of shifting to P then releasing brake, then pull handbrake. That puts some stress on the transmission.

Interestingly, I found that there is only mute but not off button for the audio system in my wife's new car, so maybe switching off the radio or CD player does not matter ;)

Which car? Some cars don't have a dedicated off button (like mine) and need to do some stunt like press volume button and hold for a few secs to 'off' it.

Supercharged

Which car? Some cars don't have a dedicated off button (like mine) and need to do some stunt like press volume button and hold for a few secs to 'off' it.

It's Mazda 6 2017 model. Long press on the mute button does not turn off audio either. I learnt from Mazda forum to turn off the audio by leaving a spare phone headset plugged in the auxiliary port and selecting the auxiliary port to turn off audio. 

Supersonic

Electronic hand brake then how ?

Since it's electronic, some may recommend dun use coz will spoil the car and maybe manually put timber blocks at the tyres instead.....

Since it's electronic, some may recommend dun use coz will spoil the car and maybe manually put timber blocks at the tyres instead.....

i agree...

Supercharged

Haha, do we know one another? :) I've been practising exactly what you described your first friend did since my first car, and that's what Honda had recommended too:

http://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-industry-news/hondas-tips-on-proper-use-of-car-aircon.html

Furthermore this helps to conserve energy, as even after the aircon has been switched off with the fan remaining on, cool air will continue to be blown for a period of time that is usually sufficient for one to have parked his or her car.

I'm also worried that the CD may be jammed in the CD player if the player is not switched off properly before cutting off the power supply.

Lastly, switching off the aircon, fan and audio before switching off the engine will help to avoid excessive drawing of current when the engine is being restarted. However little the help may be, it does not inconvenient me by doing so anyway and has become my driving habit, while I've not found any switch being spoiled as a result.

Interestingly, I found that there is only mute but not off button for the audio system in my wife's new car, so maybe switching off the radio or CD player does not matter ;)

I got the same habits too.

Alays off everything before shutting down engine.

Honda also said about the older Honda car, that when cranking engine, wait for check engine lights to go off first. Been doing that to my older Honda car and they were v happy about it. I don't get any problems from them.

But with keyless ignition and push start engine button in new cars, I think this "check engine light go off first" not applicable anymore

But it's always a good habit to off everything first before shutting off engine. I sound like a OLD SCHOOL. but Old is Gold. LOL

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Wheel chocks. Steady. [thumbsup]

chocks_tire.jpg

Still too high tech. Next thing is maybe scared string will spoil.

This is the bestest:

post-1105-0-66939700-1495158062.jpg

Supercharged

Hi, how will applying electric park brake harm the car? The feature is becoming standard in modern cars.

Supersonic

Hi, how will applying electric park brake harm the car? The feature is becoming standard in modern cars.

Wrong number leh. I not the scared everything oso spoil type.
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Electronic hand brake then how ?

No difference what...handbrake is hand brake. Electric means automatic help you pull when you press button, underlying mechanism never change

Turbocharged

My previous car, i45, it does not come with a mute button for the head unit. But got off button.

Mine got power button for entertainment system, but it doesn't shut off the head unit entirely, only disconnects media bluetooth (phone connection remains) and stops playback, probably because the head unit controls a number of other systems including the A/C. 

It just stops the entertainment, but there's also a mute button on the steering wheel that sends a playback stop command to the Bluetooth device and mutes the sound. 

A little peculiar but it actually works better that way.

It's just the usual fear of anything electronic. Some even scared of electronic engine timing control, go buy Toyota, thinking VVT-i is some mechanical technology.

• Praise 1

I listen to laydio only, so I don't bother to switch off/on.

For aircon, will switch off first before shutting down the engine. And for the first trip of the day, will drive with windows down for 5 mins before switching on aircon. Old personal habit.

I listen to laydio only, so I don't bother to switch off/on.

For aircon, will switch off first before shutting down the engine. And for the first trip of the day, will drive with windows down for 5 mins before switching on aircon. Old personal habit.

My parents does that too, but for me I'll just switch the aircon off before shutting off the engine. As for switching on, as soon as I start the engine. Hadn't had a problem with it thus far.

• Praise 1

I will also turn off the aircon before turning off the engine. Learned it from uncles 10 yrs ago.

Now I also uncle liao but still practising it. lol.

I believe got some benefit in doing that cos imo, if you dont off it, when u start to crank your engine, your aircon will turn on that tat sec before it off again for the cranking and then on again after the cranking. so in all you on and off it twice the amt den normal.

Ive been doing this for 10 yrs and touch wood, I never have an air con spoil on me before.

Edited by Bigbadguy
  • Praise 1

I will also turn off the aircon before turning off the engine. Learned it from uncles 10 yrs ago.

Now I also uncle liao but still practising it. lol.

I believe got some benefit in doing that cos imo, if you dont off it, when u start to crank your engine, your aircon will turn on that tat sec before it off again for the cranking and then on again after the cranking. so in all you on and off it twice the amt den normal.

Ive been doing this for 10 yrs and touch wood, I never have an air con spoil on me before.

I share the same practise too when my first car had those knobs turning aircon. I off the blower fan and the aircon switch before turning off the engine.

With a digital aircon now, I just switch off the aircon directly. I even turn down my HU volume to zero and switch off the HU, followed by switching off my ioniser. When i crank start the engine the next time, everything switch on in the reverse order again.

↡ Advertisement