How would you invest with SGD 1 million

Hypersonic
(edited)

Actually I mentioned before, recommended by some Taiwanese anal-list

Start spending your 2/3 of savings from 50yo....

Not one time spend all

Do what one like to do or missed to do..eg go far far land, wave at atb etc...

Reward yourself for working so hard till 50yo

1/3 save as reserve till end of life

Edited by Sunny
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Just be kind to those ard u n help those who needs money for their daily expenses..spend wisely n reward ur self for all those hard days of working..buy a nice car to pamper urself.. u only live once..

Invest a little as not to stress urself..

Remember this quote , a fool n his money are soon parted..

• Praise 18

If I have S$1mil, I would likely buy into Unit Trust with returns of 7-9%pa in which the monthly dividend payout will be between $5800-$7500. This amount will be enough for daily expenses and some extra to maintain certain lifestyle like tour and personal hobby. If one is still in the working age, this extra passive income will enhance one's living standard and enable a little extravagance to enjoy life.

I am buying Toto for this Thursday draw....good luck... [bounce1]    

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

My error. 

Based on 4% annual gains, drawing $6,000 monthly will allow drawdown for about 20 years only, excluding inflation.

Ha...

So the solution has to be something that is tagged to inflation, allow net $8,000 per month (based on 1 million capital placed in tranches or full sum), capital protected, allow regular and predictable draw down per month, and be able to trade for future prices even after 30-40 years...

No idea what can satisfy all these.  [smash]

For a present value of $1M, one will need an annual rate of return close to 9.5% to sustain the said annuity. Assuming 3% inflation, the required annual rate of return will need to be around 12.5% - may not be sustainable over 40 years especially given that one should avoid too risky investments during retirement. I wonder what annuity program would offer such guaranteed returns :D

Edited by Showster
  • Praise 2

That's why Singapore lao nangs emulated Hong Kong lao nangs collecting cardboards to survive.

But, accordingly to some "research", some choose to collect cardboards to keep themselves fit. [laugh]

• Praise 4

Supercharged

I hope I did strike that $1 M toto, definitely will try to buy toto since you guys suggested [inlove] 

I think it is good to plan ahead for retirement. The amount of $1 M is a sum pluck out from the air. If don't have $1M, then $500K mean half the expected monthly allowance lor. [bigcry]

Don't forget, this amount has to see the 2 old folks through our remaining years. If one retires at 65 as recommended, with average life span of 85, likely the money would have to see us through the next 20 years.

Most insurance related scheme will not enjoy yield of more than 3.4%. Of course if you drawn down the principle sum for 20 years, maybe you can enjoy $100K a year or $8K pm for 2 person. What happen after that 20 years you are still alive and kicking? Some has advised parking some funds in investment funds which can enjoy around 3% return plus possible appreciation of investment.

Many of us would simply just put in FD or buy some insurance or stocks. Good to hear from others how they plan while we try to save toward that plan. :a-aggressive:

If one is not prudent with his money, even if he were to receive a windfall it will be a matter of time before he depletes it. Invest in ourselves, live within our means, appreciate the value of delayed gratification and compound interests, learn about value investing to build passive income streams, and return to the community to help the less fortunate. It's never too late to start. As a wise person ever told me, successful people take actions.

Twincharged

I damn prudent already, bro

So hopefully i tio toto a few times over....

wah !! you very greedy man !! a few times ... ??

but nevertheless honest... greedy but honest !! [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

wah !! you very greedy man !! a few times ... ??

but nevertheless honest... greedy but honest !! [thumbsup]

Want to tio better tio a few times mah....

$1mil nowdays is not much, most people in mcf have that. Seriously.

• Praise 1

If I have S$1mil, I would likely buy into Unit Trust with returns of 7-9%pa in which the monthly dividend payout will be between $5800-$7500. This amount will be enough for daily expenses and some extra to maintain certain lifestyle like tour and personal hobby. If one is still in the working age, this extra passive income will enhance one's living standard and enable a little extravagance to enjoy life.

I am buying Toto for this Thursday draw....good luck... [bounce1]

Don't want to pour cold water but unit trusts will never give you that kind of returns. Minus management fees they are likely to underperform the market. You are better off buying ETF. Or use a monkey to pick stocks randomly.

Just look at the dismay performance of Tiomasak and GooInCharge. Professional managers all.

• Praise 3

Twincharged

Want to tio better tio a few times mah....

$1mil nowdays is not much, most people in mcf have that. Seriously.

in asset or cash ?

an average person (who cannot freely afford a car) earns about $30 /yr ...

and they can make do with the and feed their families amply.

so if one mil, should be able to last 30 years - if they spend wisely.

don't say kid want to go uni or those extended expenses .... coz even if you don't have the 1 mil and you kid can go uni; beg borrow or steal - you will still do it.

its "not much" when one is thinking about that  nice car and a condo ...

anyway you and me sama sama ...  got my HDB deed and don't owe anything ... i even completed my reservist !!

in asset or cash ?

an average person (who cannot freely afford a car) earns about $30 /yr ...

and they can make do with the and feed their families amply.

so if one mil, should be able to last 30 years - if they spend wisely.

don't say kid want to go uni or those extended expenses .... coz even if you don't have the 1 mil and you kid can go uni; beg borrow or steal - you will still do it.

its "not much" when one is thinking about that nice car and a condo ...

anyway you and me sama sama ... got my HDB deed and don't owe anything ... i even completed my reservist !!

In net cash of course, MCF is full of such people.

But No lah, we are not sama sama.

With $1mil you can retire and sit back, i cannot.

Heavy burden on my shoulders

So we are not sama sama.

You are luckier. Cherish that.

The amount actually doesn't really matters but what's more important is discipline.

Money is never enough.

When you were a kid, $10 seems a lot, but when you become a teenager it is not enough. Then when you go to university / poly $50 seems a bit short of the many things you would like to buy. Entering the workforce, you realised $50 cannot stretch very far.

Similarly, when you have $100,000 in your bank account, you will start to think of how to get it to $500,000. Then when you reached $500,000 you are eager to target $1milion. After than dreaming of more than a million. It never stops.

I learnt:

you need to be discipline and not influence by advertisement or social / peer pressure

the discipline needed is very hard is like abstaining from sex for 10years

aim for your target lifestyle and be content with what you have

life is much more than just killing yourself chasing paper that you cannot carry along when you ....... Scotty beam me up

calculate how much you need when you retire and live to 80 plus then start saving and investing smart

everybody is different when comes to investing, there is no one size fits all

good luck and have a good life

PS A lot of people even with lots of material things and apparent good life still money not enough and have to punish themselves by taking on extra job like "table wiper", "window cleaner" and lately "desk-bound job".

• Praise 13

The amount actually doesn't really matters but what's more important is discipline.

Money is never enough.

When you were a kid, $10 seems a lot, but when you become a teenager it is not enough. Then when you go to university / poly $50 seems a bit short of the many things you would like to buy. Entering the workforce, you realised $50 cannot stretch very far.

Similarly, when you have $100,000 in your bank account, you will start to think of how to get it to $500,000. Then when you reached $500,000 you are eager to target $1milion. After than dreaming of more than a million. It never stops.

I learnt:

you need to be discipline and not influence by advertisement or social / peer pressure

the discipline needed is very hard is like abstaining from sex for 10years

aim for your target lifestyle and be content with what you have

life is much more than just killing yourself chasing paper that you cannot carry along when you ....... Scotty beam me up

calculate how much you need when you retire and live to 80 plus then start saving and investing smart

everybody is different when comes to investing, there is no one size fits all

good luck and have a good life

PS A lot of people even with lots of material things and apparent good life still money not enough and have to punish themselves by taking on extra job like "table wiper", "window cleaner" and lately "desk-bound job".

Pai miah lah.

Singapore lang.

And its not extra job, its only job.

• Praise 2

You ask, I will answer in our prata meet!

how i wish I can ask this kind of question.  [:(]

1M is not enough for my needs and plans. That is why I stopped buying ToTo with 1st price anything less than 12M.

(edited)

https://zuuonline.sg/money/lifestyle/10-unexpected-countries-to-retire-in-for-singaporeans/

10 unexpected countries Singaporeans can go to retire

"Invest" in the any of the above.

I think Panama is really not bad.

Can imagine the scene....

Back to topic.

Investing is as personal as one's home or car

To some its easy, to others its hard.

I say ignorance is bliss....

Good luck folks

Edited by Throttle2
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

if i got sgd 1 mil, i will buy blue chips and sti index reits. that should give me a yield of 4-5% on average. i will continue to work for as long as i can, and at the same time, i will reinvest the dividends back in those counters.

1M is not enough for my needs and plans. That is why I stopped buying ToTo with 1st price anything less than 12M.

You Better watch how you spend...

Muayhahahahahaha

↡ Advertisement