How would you invest with SGD 1 million

Supersonic

I damn prudent already, bro

No loans, no debt.

Everthing all fully paid.

But $1mil today is not enough as i am sole breadwinner.

My children still young.

Monthly expenses are high and can only get higher.

So hopefully i tio toto a few times over....

Everything is relative ain't it?

I reckon I could survive on 800 per month w/o loans/debts but for you, that would be asking for your life  :D

*above figures not including expenditure on children.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

The amount actually doesn't really matters but what's more important is discipline.

Money is never enough.

When you were a kid, $10 seems a lot, but when you become a teenager it is not enough. Then when you go to university / poly $50 seems a bit short of the many things you would like to buy. Entering the workforce, you realised $50 cannot stretch very far.

Similarly, when you have $100,000 in your bank account, you will start to think of how to get it to $500,000. Then when you reached $500,000 you are eager to target $1milion. After than dreaming of more than a million. It never stops.

I learnt:

you need to be discipline and not influence by advertisement or social / peer pressure

the discipline needed is very hard is like abstaining from sex for 10years

aim for your target lifestyle and be content with what you have

life is much more than just killing yourself chasing paper that you cannot carry along when you ....... Scotty beam me up

calculate how much you need when you retire and live to 80 plus then start saving and investing smart

everybody is different when comes to investing, there is no one size fits all

good luck and have a good life

PS A lot of people even with lots of material things and apparent good life still money not enough and have to punish themselves by taking on extra job like "table wiper", "window cleaner" and lately "desk-bound job".

Very true. Learn to let go. Materialism can be a burden. We start with little, it's also ok to end with little.

Don't be like my friend. 50 yr old, last time stay in GCB drive rolls Royce.

Business failed now rent condo.

Even considering migrating to a cheaper country cos cannot accept that he has to soon stay in hdb... cannot let go haiz

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

I reckon I could survive on 800 per month w/o loans/debts but for you, that would be asking for your life  :D

Good post

I also can survive on $800

*above figures not including expenditure on children. wife, home, car

:D 

I reckon I could survive on 800 per month w/o loans/debts but for you, that would be asking for your life :D

Yes it is.

My goal is to acheive and more importantly SUSTAIN a relative that is relatively more relative to other people's relative.

Therefore, while i can also survive on the same $800 per month, it's my conscious choice not to do so since i can afford much more.

If $800 is all i can afford per month today, you can bet i will be operating only at a $500 level.

As mentioned, i am sole breadwinner and my children are still young. Very prudent one.

(edited)

The amount actually doesn't really matters but what's more important is discipline.

Money is never enough.

When you were a kid, $10 seems a lot, but when you become a teenager it is not enough. Then when you go to university / poly $50 seems a bit short of the many things you would like to buy. Entering the workforce, you realised $50 cannot stretch very far.

Similarly, when you have $100,000 in your bank account, you will start to think of how to get it to $500,000. Then when you reached $500,000 you are eager to target $1milion. After than dreaming of more than a million. It never stops.

I learnt:

you need to be discipline and not influence by advertisement or social / peer pressure

the discipline needed is very hard is like abstaining from sex for 10years

aim for your target lifestyle and be content with what you have

life is much more than just killing yourself chasing paper that you cannot carry along when you ....... Scotty beam me up

calculate how much you need when you retire and live to 80 plus then start saving and investing smart

everybody is different when comes to investing, there is no one size fits all

good luck and have a good life

PS A lot of people even with lots of material things and apparent good life still money not enough and have to punish themselves by taking on extra job like "table wiper", "window cleaner" and lately "desk-bound job".

Abstaining from sex for 10 years? Might as well become a monk and live on the kindness of others. hahaha.... I think it is more realistic to peg spendings/ consumption (including primary residence) to income and/ or net worth and to cap it at a certain ratio during income generating period.

Agree it is important to be disciplined and to live within one's means. Seeing many with $1 million net worth but staying in $2m condo and think they are "investing". Better to stay HDB and invest the rest for passive income.

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 1

Very true. Learn to let go. Materialism can be a burden. We start with little, it's also ok to end with little.

Don't be like my friend. 50 yr old, last time stay in GCB drive rolls Royce.

Business failed now rent condo.

Even considering migrating to a cheaper country cos cannot accept that he has to soon stay in hdb... cannot let go haiz

I agree.

However, it may not be a simple case of Materialism.

It may be a case of biting off more than one can chew.

Resulting in mismanagement of one's true capability.

Just like how some people buy a car or a property simply base on the ability to cover the instalments.

Their whole lives are about paying for instalments and living from one instalment to another.

I know some idiot is going to twist my words again saying that everything i do must be full cash.

But i say, not every payment must be an instalment.

• Praise 1

Abstaining from sex for 10 years? Might as well become a monk and live on the kindness of others. hahaha.... I think it is more realistic to peg spendings/ consumption (including primary residence) to income and/ or net worth and to cap it at a certain ratio during income generating period.

Agree it is important to be disciplined and to live within one's means. Seeing many with $1 million net worth but staying in $2m condo and think they are "investing". Better to stay HDB and invest the rest for passive income.

Well said.

When the tide is low, we will know.

And sorry, i have no sympathy, pity, empathy for these.

So how would i invest with $1mil.

I wonder wonder wonder

T2 - U R the man man man mannnnnn

Bro, dont suan me hor

We know each other since the biking days.....

By the way, i still have a bike. Do you still ride?

Twincharged

Ok those with 1 mil or 10 mil can think about it.

But if don't have yet, the best ticket to it is still to depend on your abilities, plus save and invest wisely.

And our calculations show even 1 mil does not fully suffice for someone with family and kids. Still need to use our abilities to work and save and invest till our comfort retirement level.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Ok those with 1 mil or 10 mil can think about it.

But if don't have yet, the best ticket to it is still to depend on your abilities, plus save and invest wisely.

And our calculations show even 1 mil does not fully suffice for someone with family and kids. Still need to use our abilities to work and save and invest till our comfort retirement level.

I started this is to 'learn' from others how to retire gracefully with a min sum. it is never meant to feed a whole family but maybe just your partner and you. 

if you already have that $1 m good but if you are still short, time to think how to achieve that. if you strike toto with that $1 m,  at least you know what to do. haha

• Praise 1

Twincharged

I started this is to 'learn' from others how to retire gracefully with a min sum. it is never meant to feed a whole family but maybe just your partner and you.

if you already have that $1 m good but if you are still short, time to think how to achieve that. if you strike toto with that $1 m, at least you know what to do. haha

One alternative way to look at it is most of us all have 2 million, even the average worker... IF, and only if we are willing to work for 30 years, based on a 5K salary no increment, but adding in CPF.

How we allocate that 2 million (or more for most of us) in our lifetime, or if we factor in stopping work prematurely, will influence how much we have at the actual point of retirement.

Turbocharged

it doee not mean if you earn $10k a month you will be able to. save $1m or if you are from a lower income group, you will not achieve it. 

this $1M i am referring to is also liquid cash not asset. we would still need a rood over our head regardless if we have that million. of course you coukd choose to downgrade to secure that million too. 

Still have a Kawasaki 150 ( have it since 2002 to keep a number plate ), stopped super bikes after a 2004 ZX-10R..vividly remember u used to own some kawas.

I am working now at MW ( only 1 company, u should know ) dealing with all makes & models luxury and high end supercars. My name starts with T

:)

Yes yes i too had a ZZR11, ZX9R and Z1000.

You the Mr. T, one and only

The whole street knows! Muayhahahah

Twincharged
(edited)

it doee not mean if you earn $10k a month you will be able to. save $1m or if you are from a lower income group, you will not achieve it.

this $1M i am referring to is also liquid cash not asset. we would still need a rood over our head regardless if we have that million. of course you coukd choose to downgrade to secure that million too.

That's why my example. The idea is to settle first housing by 35, latest 40. Thereafter, work towards the amount that gives you the option to retire. Every choice in life either adds to that or subtracts to that, and the most tricky is to differentiate which is which.

Note: this does not apply well to bosses and persons whose incomes are hugely dependent on expenditure.

Edited by Showster

(edited)

One alternative way to look at it is most of us all have 2 million, even the average worker... IF, and only if we are willing to work for 30 years, based on a 5K salary no increment, but adding in CPF.

How we allocate that 2 million (or more for most of us) in our lifetime, or if we factor in stopping work prematurely, will influence how much we have at the actual point of retirement.

Interesting maths.

Without adjusting for inflation over 30 years

Income: $5k x 2 pax x 12 months X 30 years = $3.6m

Expenses

HDB flat (including interest): $750k

Expenses (assuming 50% of household income - $5k x 12 months x 30 years) = $1.8m

Kids, parents, medical....

Most people with 5k income (10k for dual income family) don't have $1m to retire on if you exclude the primary residence, which is difficult to monetize if it is just a HDB.

So 10k per month better stay in HDB and invest.

Edited by Voodooman

That's why my example. The idea is to settle first housing by 35, latest 40. Thereafter, work towards the amount that gives you the option to retire. Every choice in life either adds to that or subtracts to that, and the most tricky is to differentiate which is which.

Note: this does not apply well to bosses and persons whose incomes are hugely dependent on expenditure.

10k income can settle housing loan in 10 years? Possible but no expensive holidays. Lol
↡ Advertisement