How would you invest with SGD 1 million

Supercharged

If whichever market drops, it is not difficult to decide what to invest.

The difficult part of the game is what if everything is on uptrend? How then should we allocate the portfolio?

This one difficult but all the chartists will come out and offer their tips......
↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Equities are more liquid and come with lower transaction cost, so I will buy equities first as the drop is larger in your scenario, then switch to properties, the latter should lag equities in a recovery.

Equities/ bond usually cannot leverage as much as property (assume no CM).

Absolutely, Marketable securities are most fluid by nature.

Prices are there to get in and out.

Properties are way too illiquid to consider for anything other than long term investments.

Bro, decent equities and bonds can get easily 70% lending value or even more

So its even better than properties.

Edited by Throttle2

Twincharged

Yes its a lifestyle choice.

My choice would be a min. $10k per month lifestyle for me and my wife.

Which is definitely not extravagant today

10 yrs later or 20-30yrs later $10k a month would be nothing

30 yrs later

$10k for 2 ppl don't know what kinda lifestyle

Hopefully still can make it

30 yrs later

Yeah, thats the problem, so start with $10k first in 2027, then see how things go, adjust accordingly.

Maybe to $15k or $20k.

Old already no point spending too much.

But no worries, sure can make it.

Still have Rolexes to sell mah....

30 yrs later

$2.4m invested at 5% yield would yield $10k a month. Assume it is a diversified portfolio of good income producing assets, it should keep up with inflation.

I remember DBS used to pay dividend of below 30 cents a year but is now paying 60 cents. Long run, valuation should be driven by yield and/ or cashflow.

Absolutely, Marketable securities are most fluid by nature.

Prices are there to get in and out.

Properties are way too illiquid to consider for anything other than long term investments.

Bro, decent equities and bonds can get easily 70% lending value or even more

So its even better than properties.

Property used to be able to leverage up to 80-90%. Agree leverage on equities and bond can be decent but it also depends on volatility and rating (more for bonds) and the borrower's credit profile since all are with recourse, at least in SG market.

(edited)

so many millionaires (talking about cash and liquidity) here waiting to whack STI and property ... how to down [sly][laugh]

there is only 1 direction for spore ... UP ... high go higher ... lol

sky is not the limit ... still got outer space

i am thinking invest outside spore leh

now PRC bei song spore ... spore bo "luck" how to huat?

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

(edited)

as long as credit card allow 36 months installment can buy gold rolex liao [laugh]

36 x $800 = $28,800 ... huat until siao ah !

Aiyah same thing with cars and properties.
As long as pass TDSR means "Accredited " liao
Muay Wahahahahahaa

Edited by Wt_know

HSBC clearly thinks Singapore Millennials are blissfully unaware of the changing retirement landscape — even its press release announcing the findings was aptly titled “Singapore Millennials – Waking Up to Retirement Reality”.

Mr Anurag Mathur, head of retail banking and wealth management at HSBC Singapore, is also concerned that Millennials are failing to fully understand the complex issue at hand:

While Singapore millennials are broadly aware of the economic and demographic challenges they face, they do not appear to have grasped its full implications on their retirement.

With low interest rates, rising healthcare costs and potentially declining social provisions for retirees in the future, it has never been more important to save for a comfortable retirement. Starting to save early – and saving enough – can reduce the need to continue working in later life.

Living in a concrete jungle is already stressful enough — realising that you’re now going to be even further pressed for money definitely doesn’t help with morale.

If you’re worried about your future, it’s in your best interest to do up a retirement plan as soon as possible. Live within your means, invest widely and wisely, set aside some money for contingency purposes and use tools like retirement calculators and eBooks to help you on your journey.

Unless you’re planning to migrate to alleviate your financial stress — it’s worth noting that the gloomy outlook for Millennials applies to other countries as well — securing your freedom during your golden years in advance is perhaps the best thing you could do in this bad, bad situation.

• Praise 17

as long as credit card allow 36 months installment can buy gold rolex liao [laugh]

36 x $800 = $28,800 ... huat until siao ah !

Exactly, huat ah.

Muayhahaha

(edited)

$2.4m invested at 5% yield would yield $10k a month. Assume it is a diversified portfolio of good income producing assets, it should keep up with inflation.

I remember DBS used to pay dividend of below 30 cents a year but is now paying 60 cents. Long run, valuation should be driven by yield and/ or cashflow.

Yeah, $10k per month is really nothing in todays context.

$5k per month is considered low income already.

Dont like anyone bluff anyone otherwise.

Edited by Throttle2

Hypersonic

From what i read, it's more likely that average equity yields are dropping. I think a more realistic conservative yield rate will be 3-4% in the longer term, equities with some bonds.

Does mean the current working class generation actually have to save more and for longer periods than their predecessors to have a fully funded retirement.

(edited)

3-4% yield cant even cover the "real" inflation rate of food, FMCG and dont even need to mention property

the millenials are fcked if they dont have a rich parents or sugar-daddy

the bleed situation of stress in tokyo, beijing, taipei, seoul, shanghai, hk will come to spore faster than you think

1000sqft > 700sqft > 500sqft > 200+ sqft (current HK)

in asia besides property what else to invest in terms of "idiot proof lazy investment tool"?

when everyone cheong to property investment it makes it hot and hotter ...

Edited by Wt_know

Wtknow, to think that only one asset class is the key, is stupidity, sorry.

If got serious money ( not just $1mil) one should be using various asset classes to tackle the issue.

Not just in properties or just in marketable securities.

They are not mutually exclusive

But of course not everyone is as knowledgeable , capable, smart or have the dough.

Thats life lor.

Live your own.

Supercharged

Property used to be able to leverage up to 80-90%. Agree leverage on equities and bond can be decent but it also depends on volatility and rating (more for bonds) and the borrower's credit profile since all are with recourse, at least in SG market.

My elders always tell me to buy property and keep cos Singapore so small it can only go up over long term. Proven over the last 4 decades. Market may dip but it will always come back and create the next high.

So far so good but OBOR disturbs me.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Wtknow, to think that only one asset class is the key, is stupidity, sorry.

If got serious money ( not just $1mil) one should be using various asset classes to tackle the issue.

Not just in properties or just in marketable securities.

They are not mutually exclusive

But of course not everyone is as knowledgeable , capable, smart or have the dough.

Thats life lor.

Live your own.

[bigcry] ... that's why i cant be jobless and gotta work pass 65 at Mcdonald ... [bigcry]

should i start to invest in rolexes now to sell in 20 years time for passive income ... lol [laugh]

yes, i truly understand that property aint the only investment vehicle but is the most loaded vehicle be in spore, hk, taipei, beijing, entire asia. why asia is sibei crazy on property investment huh ... everyone think and say it's a sure win formula

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement