Got my NS50 pack liow !

Ysc3

I won't say I was best soldier or super on during my army days. Only a corporal. Fail ippt those kind of soldiers. During those years I do think that NS was a waste of time and if we could get the time back that would be wonderful.

Over the years I kind of start to realise that we take the peace in our country for granted. After all we never go to war and all we do are training or "wayang". And if we were ever to go to war we sure die. Or enemy die laughing.

But I start to realise. Why we think this way is because we take what we have for granted. We forget that war can come at any time. We think that if war comes we sure die so fight for what?

During SARS many healthcare professionals had the opportunity to flee their jobs and even the country but most stayed and did their jobs until the crisis ended and some paid with their lives. Nobody says it is spreading like wildfire around Asia so no point fighting just carry on life as usual and when we die we die but no point struggling. And prior to SARS not many people considered the possibility of a major epidemic in modern day Singapore. In the back of mind of planners maybe but not far beyond that. Like no one really considers an all out invasion of Singapore as likely. But it can happen and that is why we still have NS.

I believe that is what will happen to our NSFs and regulars when the balloon goes up, just that in times of prolonged peace we think they are overpaid and underworked. Maybe we think the regulars are there for the money. Possible. But people also say nurses work cos it's a stable career, not necessarily for the calling. Until SARS came and suddenly everyone wants to be a nurse (then).

When I look at some remarks here criticising NS or MINDEF I just wonder if they never thought that it seems weird to be criticising an organisation charged with protecting a country over what seems to be an administration matter. Don't get me wrong. They need to improve. But it's like scolding a nurse for not doing her christmas decorations in the hospital ward. Yes there should be improvements but the focus seems wrong.

Two cents.

Most parts I agree with you, in fact very much in agreement, except what is highlighted in red. 

NS45 they sent out everything together to everyone, membership cards and vouchers. NS50 they took the trouble to to do up a website and a flow chat for those SAFRA members and NON-SAFRA members, you classified this as an administration matter? Or a project done on purpose? 

A 2nd timer and after 5 years, why do we get such "administration matter"? Are we moving backwards with our system? Or is this just a way to punish NSmen for not wanting to renew their SAFRA memberships? 

Comparing this to a nurse not decorating the hospital ward is plain stupid, I am sorry for the words, but it is really stupid to compare it that way. The nurse has more important thing to do, but here we are with SAFRA/MINDEF creating something out of nothing to delay a process. If this is not stupid, then I must be the stupid one. 

Seriously, and I swear that I will be most happy if they have not done this, and spend the money buying weapons or upgrade facilities for our NS boys. 

This action just piss me. 

Edited by Tianmo
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Most parts I agree with you, in fact very much in agreement, except what is highlighted in red.

NS45 they sent out everything together to everyone, membership cards and vouchers. NS50 they took the trouble to to do up a website and a flow chat for those SAFRA members and NON-SAFRA members, you classified this as an administration matter? Or a project done on purpose?

A 2nd timer and after 5 years, why do we get such "administration matter"? Are we moving backwards with our system? Or is this just a way to punish NSmen for not wanting to renew their SAFRA memberships?

Comparing this to a nurse not decorating the hospital ward is plain stupid, I am sorry for the words, but it is really stupid to compare it that way. The nurse has more important thing to do, but here we are with SAFRA/MINDEF creating something out of nothing to delay a process. If this is not stupid, then I must be the stupid one.

Seriously, and I swear that I will be most happy if they have not done this, and spend the money buying weapons or upgrade facilities for our NS boys.

This action just piss me.

I agree. Mindef and safra is stupid for this mistake. I fully agree.

If the criticisms had remained at MINDEF/SAFRA making unnecessary mistakes over unnecessary work OK, no arguments

But you see the criticisms seem to deviate from safra /mindef stupid for not even handling this well to NS is a waste of time, no pride in serving army......

+1

Is this the same SAF that can organize NDP, SAF day etc?

I agree that they should put their efforts into something good, but as my commander once said: want to do, do it good

一不做,二不休。

No pride in work.

Think of this as an exercise to make sure all contacts of our vital reserve force are in order.

If stuff hits the fan and we need to mobilize, what happens?

As a bro said, if IRAS or TP can find us, why can't the SAF.

To think that I almost signed on..

And wanted to go to the Middle East as a volunteer...

I agree, take the $100, give it to disaster relief or put it into making a rifle left handed troops can use!!

Edited by therock
  • Praise 1

+1

Is this the same SAF that can organize NDP, SAF day etc?

I agree that they should put their efforts into something good, but as my commander once said: want to do, do it good

一不做,二不休。

No pride in work.

Think of this as an exercise to make sure all contacts of our vital reserve force are in order.

If stuff hits the fan and we need to mobilize, what happens?

As a bro said, if IRAS or TP can find us, why can't the SAF.

To think that I almost signed on..

And wanted to go to the Middle East as a volunteer...

I agree, take the $100, give it to disaster relief or put it into making a rifle left handed troops can use!!

+5!!!

this one is long long over deal!

They sld consider putting a left handed as COA sometime down the road.  It is so dangerous during live firing when empty cartridges fly pass the face. And for the record, I am right handed, but my buddy is left handed. One empty cartridge actually hit his face during range, and for those interested to know how that may feel, put a heated up iron to your face, same sensation. 

Thats why the more they wanted to force me into signing up for their SAFRA membership by such stupid act, the more they wont get it for me. They will get a cut up return card instead. 

For all the tear and sweat we had gone through, training hard and standing tall for the country, this is the kind of treatment/ punishment we get because of a stupid membership card they have problem maintaining. Why do i have to use your club when I have my own private club to use? 

SAFRA, if you are reading this, please behave like what an army would do and sld be ( after all I believe you are run by ex- military personals) , go ahead and convert all the money into membership and just mail that damn card out, dont act as if you are giving NSmen an option. Save yourself extra work and money, and some face on the way. 

Be a man, and do what a man sld do.  Dont behave like a kuniang!!!

• Praise 1

I agree. Mindef and safra is stupid for this mistake. I fully agree.

If the criticisms had remained at MINDEF/SAFRA making unnecessary mistakes over unnecessary work OK, no arguments

But you see the criticisms seem to deviate from safra /mindef stupid for not even handling this well to NS is a waste of time, no pride in serving army......

You are here long enough to know that I am always for NS, for the very same reason you have stated, no two way about it, and I am always for the idea that as long as you served, you contributed. NS is not all about combat and combat only, there are other important vocations of lesser know, but just as important. 

A discussion on serving NS is the same as a discussion on election and politics, the for and the against, no way we can run from it. But hey whatever discussed, they served, so they did their part, that is no turning back. Whatever they said they did,  thats their life. It can get quite tiring to repeat the same principle again and again, simple fact is , no defense force we are dead, period. 

Who gave the opportunity for these ppl to proof a point, to throw ice right into our face and say, " see lah, this is how MINDEF/SAFRA will treat us, why play ball, best is to keng, we are $3 paying citizens comparing to those $1 paying new ones!" You see my point? 

I have always been this side, but nope, I am 100% on the other side this time. For the $100 voucher? whatever anyone wants to believe, I dont give a damn, but one thing for sure, they treat me in this punishment way, they will get my treatment back in the same way. period. 

I am still waiting..

Is there a portal for old soldiers like me to check on how it's going?

I agree that this PR exercise has failed big time.. 

bro, you older or i older?

i'm also waiting.

The 2.5 yr i got it more siong than most, i dare say. The 13-cut-short-by-2-yr cycle also not easy...

Now just kanna cold storage.

Is this what the cantonese say 打完斋就不要和尚 ? :TT_TT:

Well I enlisted at Dempsey

Grab a coffee sometime and we can talk about the old days of Camp 3 tekong etc etc :)

i also. 

but i more pai miah, stay more backwards bunk in camp 1... maybe the only advantage is no need march so far during book in/out - or it is you guys got tonners to take??

Three tonner?

I sat in it once to get to camp three..

Then every time we booked out, our instructors will tell us, unless we ran or quick marched, we will miss our boat.

So our entire BMT was like a Forrest Gump movie :

"If we were going anywhere, we were running!"

Even our bayonet fighting lessons, we never got past the first lesson. Every session was about running, touching some tree or push-ups ..

i also.

but i more pai miah, stay more backwards bunk in camp 1... maybe the only advantage is no need march so far during book in/out - or it is you guys got tonners to take??

Me too! Camp 1, Charlie Company.

• Praise 2

hmmm..still no sound no pic

:TT_TT:

why dont they let us collect (at several places across island, eg safra or CC) with our IC, 

[furious]

Three tonner?

Then every time we booked out, our instructors will tell us, unless we ran or quick marched, we will miss our boat.

Even our bayonet fighting lessons, we never got past the first lesson. Every session was about running, touching some tree or push-ups ..

Not bayonet trained nevermind. At least you are well trained for a real war - can run damn fast.

Three tonner?

OK. Then i don't feel so jealous...

Were you from Gryphon? That's the only company that i think was famous for champion tekan...

For bayonet fighting, the trainers used to tell us that it is to simulate the real situation. By the time you need to do bayonet fighting, it means no more bullets, all half dead already... so must make it really like that during practice... make us half dead before starting  :TT_TT:  [sweatdrop]  [hur]

Me too! Camp 1, Charlie Company.

i Alpha lor...

A few years later, got one comic book on NS written by <can't remember the name>, i think he from same company, just dunno which batch...

Is Camp1 still there ? Or demolished ?

i'm curious too. Never been back there since posted out in Jun 88... from changi beach can see the island got many more concrete structures near the jetty...

dunno how is the place now...

• Praise 1

Yes sir, Gryphon.. 

we have leopard crawled through the parade square, ran to the jetty, I only saw the canteen once in my entire BMT...

I am still waiting..

Is there a portal for old soldiers like me to check on how it's going?

I agree that this PR exercise has failed big time.. 

My dad, first batch of NS just got his package. I think you shouldn't be too concern. It maybe slow but the letter will reach you someday. [laugh]

Yes sir, Gryphon.. 

we have leopard crawled through the parade square, ran to the jetty, I only saw the canteen once in my entire BMT...

OK. Then you cannot complain it was siong - Gryphon was famous for it.

You can complain why you kanna gryphon, but got others kanna those known for relac one, like I think Kilo or Mike, if my memory serves me right?

My (eventual unit) platoon the men later told us they were in same BMT batch as the son of the then boss of SAF. Whole BMT never ever needed to do more than 20 push ups...

After the heaven, went for armour conversion that time, they were shocked NS can be so siong  [laugh]  [smash]

It is not the cost of the watch i am interested in. I have more atas watches than that. It is a Token that represent my hard sweat that i have contribute to the country. I can seek for downgrade easily before joining the army . Why do i get myself fixed in order to join army to chiong the hill?

I have no idea until i ROD that the gov has double standard for NS reservist. Those that ROD frim army are given a token watch but SCDF is a piece of paper, even though i have served the full 2.5 yrs in the army.

I was naive enough to call SCDF asking them whether is there a mistake that they have forgotten to sent me the watch.lol

Din know there are no watches for SCDF. Maybe Mindef and hometeam have different budget?

I got my MR package this year, other than the watch, they also include some medals which I don't know what it represents. While the watch has some uses, I find the medals and collar pins redundant. We were joking that we can pin them on our work clothes.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2