Which car to choose?

Butterss

(edited)

Out of those 3 I would go for the Outlander. It's the one that seems like the best compromise for your needs.

But if you willing to consider non-Japanese, within your budget there's also Chevrolet Orlando Turbo and Kia Carens. Both are okay choices as well. The Carens especially is quite well-specced and is economical too because diesel.

Edited by Benarsenal
↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

This thread started so promising... talks of Harrier Turbo. Now suddenly say 120k max budget cannot exceed at all.

Big hats are nice but think for your head get a Wish can liao.

Opel Astra Sports Tourer 1.4 Turbo. Think it is 118K now. 5 year unlimited mileage warranty.

The only thing is that it can seat 5 people only (Driver + 4 paxs).

More than adequate power for the trip up north to Ipoh....Oh yes, nobody will steal an Opel in Malaysia.So you can sleep peacefully.

Someone even drove the Sports Tourer 1.0 up to Genting already.

So many pple recommend Opel Astra Tourer. Ok I will go to their showroom to take a look.

TS got kids sitting behind row it is better you buy a car with rear aircon vents.

Besides Harrier, there's still many cars which cost lesser but have aircon vents to blow the second row.

What about Hyundai Tyson ?

The Hyundai Tucson's interior seems to be quite tight and small despite the exterior looking quite big.

If getting a harrier at $160k will make you stain your finances, I would say don't buy it.

Get the outlander instead, both are quite similar in terms of practicality.

Outlander is much cheaper than harrier and it's 7 seater. Which means , if u fold down the last row seats , u will get a massive space.

By all means, buy something that you can afford it financially. It's not good to sacrifice and pay all for the car as it's just a 10 years thing.

Not many SUVs are around $120k. So outlander is the best you can get with this budget.

ASX and outlander FC not much difference.

But ASX is a very very basic car. Especially in the interior. So cramped up.

Korean cars generally have a different feeling than any other cars. So yeah.

I don't think Hyundais age well.

Hmm.. so you suggest Outlander over Wish?

http://www.toyotasingapore.com.sg/showroom/sienta/

AD is selling the 7-seater Sienta which falls within your budget and it has the Toyota badge.

No offense but I feel Toyota is trying too hard with the Sienta. Toyota is like trying to make Sienta sounds like a big MPV but in fact, it's quite small and 1.5 NA engine will be tough to overtake with full load.

Can share with me more why you prefer X-Trail?

Xtrail has a much more upmarket interior with soft touch plastics throughout the cabin. The zero gravity seats are one of the most comfortable in its class. Huge moonroof and has 360 degree camera as well. Finally, it's a quieter drive due to better sound insulation.

In contrast, Outlander interior is very dated and basic. Seats are just OK. 3Rd row is marginally more spacious, but both are clearly 5+2 rather than true 7 seaters. Only area it trumps the Xtrail is on power/ acceleration.

Test drive both back to back and you'll know what I mean.

• Praise 2

I think TS is a school holiday troll. Talk so much about bad fuel economy of the outlander but want a big suv with 2.0L turbo. Like that will give you fantastic fuel economy. What ppl suggest he will mention Harrier. So what TS is looking for is a donation of $40K lah? What a waste of time.

I guess you are missing the point of my post. I'm trying to balance the views of Wish, Outlander and Harrier turbo with my knowledge and experience limited to Toyota cars and thus, I wish to get the comments and opinions of pple here.

I find it hard to stomach that the Outlander manages 8-9km/l while the 2013 Lexus RX 270 which I drove for 2 years could manage 10-11km/l.

Subaru Forester XT.

It's pretty comfortable and I love the high driving position.

There's also plenty of storage space for your family.

If you're concerned about the FC, you should be able to get around 10km/l, pretty decent for a turbocharged SUV.

The price is slightly more than $120k but you get a made in Japan SUV, electric tailgate and plenty of other amenities.

I think I will shortlist Forester XT too. Been reading about this a lot these few days.

To be honest, I'm happy to get anything above 10km/l.

Out of those 3 I would go for the Outlander. It's the one that seems like the best compromise for your needs.

But if you willing to consider non-Japanese, within your budget there's also Chevrolet Orlando Turbo and Kia Carens. Both are okay choices as well. The Carens especially is quite well-specced and is economical too because diesel.

Thanks for your suggestions. I think I will still stick to Japanese brands for now.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Go to sgcarmart n hunt for a 1.5 year old harrier.. recently, saw 1 low mileage going for 116k neg...

Edited by Freeder
  • Praise 15

Honestly FC is also really depend on your driving style la. Official figures for Outlander is around 12-13km/L. Realistically I think 11km/L is achievable.

This thread started so promising... talks of Harrier Turbo. Now suddenly say 120k max budget cannot exceed at all.

Big hats are nice but think for your head get a Wish can liao.

Frankly speaking, $120k is a comfortable budget. As in I do not have to change my lifestyle or anything if I stick to this budget.

If I go for the $160k Harrier Turbo, I will need to adjust my lifestyle and cut down on certain luxuries. As my job isn't too stable now, it's a matter of heart vs mind now.

Xtrail has a much more upmarket interior with soft touch plastics throughout the cabin. The zero gravity seats are one of the most comfortable in its class. Huge moonroof and has 360 degree camera as well. Finally, it's a quieter drive due to better sound insulation.

In contrast, Outlander interior is very dated and basic. Seats are just OK. 3Rd row is marginally more spacious, but both are clearly 5+2 rather than true 7 seaters. Only area it trumps the Xtrail is on power/ acceleration.

Test drive both back to back and you'll know what I mean.

I test drove the X-Trail and Harrier NA 2.0 back to back but somehow I wasn't impressed by the X-Trail. I think I will go test drive the X-Trail again. Thanks for your suggestion.

• Praise 1

So many pple recommend Opel Astra Tourer. Ok I will go to their showroom to take a look.

The Hyundai Tucson's interior seems to be quite tight and small despite the exterior looking quite big.

Hmm.. so you suggest Outlander over Wish?

No offense but I feel Toyota is trying too hard with the Sienta. Toyota is like trying to make Sienta sounds like a big MPV but in fact, it's quite small and 1.5 NA engine will be tough to overtake with full load.

Yes. Outlander anytime over wish.

Wish is a very very old chassis & interior.

No point cos the last row is very cramp.

Better check made in where, maybe indonesia.

Oh yeah.. very true.. Borneo motors have yet to claim where the harrier turbo is made from.. they only said more features and more power..
  • Praise 1

Yes. Outlander anytime over wish.

Wish is a very very old chassis & interior.

No point cos the last row is very cramp.

Oh yeah.. very true.. Borneo motors have yet to claim where the harrier turbo is made from.. they only said more features and more power..

vios n sienta made in indonesia

altis made in Thailand

not sure abt the rest of the models. but seems like high chance not from japan

Frankly speaking, $120k is a comfortable budget. As in I do not have to change my lifestyle or anything if I stick to this budget.

If I go for the $160k Harrier Turbo, I will need to adjust my lifestyle and cut down on certain luxuries. As my job isn't too stable now, it's a matter of heart vs mind now.

I test drove the X-Trail and Harrier NA 2.0 back to back but somehow I wasn't impressed by the X-Trail. I think I will go test drive the X-Trail again. Thanks for your suggestion.

U may not like what i say.

讲来讲去,

if ur budget is 120k,

ur job isnt stable,

need to adjust lifestyle,

need to cut down certain luxuries,

Then u are not ready to buy a 160k car, whether or not u get a hard on every time just by looking at it or put ur hands on the steering wheel.

讲来讲去,

if u are concerned abt fuel consumption,

Why this car can do 12km/l why that car cannot,

Then go consider NA cars especially Toyota.

There is no such thing as

Cheap,

Fast,

Good FC,

when it comes to cars. Maybe i shld refer cheap to value for money in SG context.

No need what mind vs heart emo. No 160k, then dun consider. Else Volvo will next come into picture. Dun be a slave to ur car.

Now that we gotten all these out of the way, can we move on to which car servicing, maintenance and parts are the cheapest after getting THE car?

• Praise 7

astra tourer? Well, I mean, if it's that good, you will see many on the road.

But it's rarely seen....

So.. so many Mazda 3 Ubers on the road must mean the are damn good ya? Wow.. great theory. Genius.. round of applause!!

Twincharged
(edited)

I am not sure if those good to have features exist in the models shortlisted.

But based on your profile, Wish fits the bill best. The extra 50k is actually closer to 60k with interests. The extra 50 or 60k can make a big difference to your life 10 years down the road.

Within 10 years, your two kids will still be small enough to fit into the third row of Wish comfortably. Fetching parents 2-3 times a month does not warrant getting a very large car but your third row can also be boot space when you travel north. Moreover, Harrier is a large SUV iirc but still only seats 5 so I am not sure if it fits your needs well. But it is a beautiful car externally and internally.

That said, if getting a certain type of larger or more specced up car benefits your job or profits, then go for the best you can stretch.

Edited by Showster
  • Praise 2

vios n sienta made in indonesia

altis made in Thailand

not sure abt the rest of the models. but seems like high chance not from japan

Harrier may be from Japan because the Current RAV4 is from Japan..

So.. so many Mazda 3 Ubers on the road must mean the are damn good ya? Wow.. great theory. Genius.. round of applause!! ð

So , how bad the Mazda 3 is?

Please share :)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1