Which car to choose?

Butterss

The Opel Astra SportsTourer 1.4 T annual road tax is $600+, 2 litre cars like ASX, X-Trail is $1200+.

So it's a saving of $600 per year. Do the math if you are driving for 6 years or more.

I believe that the insurance for the Opel is cheaper than the Jap ones too.

Do go and check it out at Auto Germany, Alpine Centre,

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

No need to imply  Mit, Suzuki, Subaru, BMW, Merc, Jag good or no good and our panties in wedgies. 

All cars are good up to their price point and our fatness of our wallet. You drive Mazda 3 right? of course it is good. U say u have Harrier right? Sure good. Opel not many on the roads is no good? Of course, cos you are not driving a Opel.

Tianmo (sorry to use u as example) and some bros here drives an Astra, maybe he is driving a no good car. When I drove Justy, I felt good too.

damn... Rolls Royce must be a farked up car. I hardly see them on the road too.

I song, you song, we song and they is song can already.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

U may not like what i say.

讲æ¥è®²å»,

if ur budget is 120k,

ur job isnt stable,

need to adjust lifestyle,

need to cut down certain luxuries,

Then u are not ready to buy a 160k car, whether or not u get a hard on every time just by looking at it or put ur hands on the steering wheel.

讲æ¥è®²å»,

if u are concerned abt fuel consumption,

Why this car can do 12km/l why that car cannot,

Then go consider NA cars especially Toyota.

There is no such thing as

Cheap,

Fast,

Good FC,

when it comes to cars. Maybe i shld refer cheap to value for money in SG context.

No need what mind vs heart emo. No 160k, then dun consider. Else Volvo will next come into picture. Dun be a slave to ur car.

Now that we gotten all these out of the way, can we move on to which car servicing, maintenance and parts are the cheapest after getting THE car?

Exactly, after talk so long, in reality there is only 1 choice which is Wish. Outlander FC no good and Harrier Turbo out of budget.
  • Praise 2

So , how bad the Mazda 3 is?

Please share :)

Everyone's bar is different. Just becoz there are more of a certain model is on the road does not mean its good and vice versa... 

it only means the replacement parts are cheaper becoz they are more common. 

Oh.. and TBF to TS...  there has been some insinuated barbs here and there.. i probably contributed the first few...  

but his replies has really been gentlemanly... and seems genuine in seeking opinions..  

i believe thats the reason why this thread is still ard..  considering it is the school holidays..  lol 

• Praise 1

(edited)

astra tourer? Well, I mean, if it's that good, you will see many on the road.

But it's rarely seen....

Your argument is so flawed

For TS, for your budget ballpark, and considering you need to drive into MY here and there, I feel the Astra tourer and the Subaru Forestor XT stand out the most.

They have the most (i think) of what you want. Go test it out and feel free to disagree after testing. Its gonna be your backside in the car after all.

Edited by Genes

Your argument is so flawed

For TS, for your budget ballpark, and considering you need to drive into MY here and there, I feel the Astra tourer and the Subaru Forestor XT stand out the most.

They have the most (i think) of what you want. Go test it out and feel free to disagree after testing. Its gonna be your backside in the car after all.

Last time 1 of an altis owner also tell me this.

He post something like this

"If your model is good, then it should be the top seller in sg"

• Praise 1

By that reasoning, the Koenigsegg Agera S must suck so bad, because there is only 1 in Singapore.

• Praise 1

perhaps TS ended up buying none of the three and went for other.

TS, your heart has already settled for one car. Just buy... In the end, "compromise" is the key word unless you are willing to spend more.

• Praise 3

Neutral Newbie

Been thinking for a long time on which car to buy and can't arrive at a conclusion.

Background: My family of 4 (including me, my wife, a toddler and an infant) is looking for a new car. I drop my toddler at school before going to work everyday. I will also fetch my parents/parents in law around maybe 2-3 times per month for outings. I drive to Malaysia (Ipoh) around 2 times per year and probably have some road trips to other places in Malaysia as well.

Budget: $120k

Features (good to have): Electric tailgate/boot, Keyless entry, Blindspot detection.

I'm looking at only AD cars Toyota Wish, Mitsubishi Outlander and the latest Toyota Harrier Turbo (price exceeds my budget a lot but I like this car a lot and it has all the features I want) which will launch in July 2017.

Not looking at Honda HRV/Vezel.

1. Toyota Wish (price is around $110k)
Pros:
- Spacious interior.
- Fuel consumption quite ok at 12-13km/l.
- Adequate power.
- Budget friendly.
Cons:
- Dated engine. Think the Wish was last launched in 2009 or 2010 and then had a facelift 2-3 years ago.
- Very basic interior.
- Does not have many features. The Wish is just like a Toyota Altis with 3 rows of seats.
- Does not have rear air con vents.

2. Mitsubishi Outlander (price is around $120k)
Pros:
- Spacious interior.
- Packed with features not found in Wish.
- I love driving SUV. Wife mentioned that she prefers higher cars though it's not a priority.
Cons:
- Bad fuel consumption. Seems like it can only achieve 8-9km/l as it's a 2.4 SUV.
- Read reviews that power is lacking despite it being a 2.4 SUV.
- 3rd row is not that spacious despite it being a bigger car than Wish.

3. Toyota Harrier Turbo (price is likely to be $160k)
Pros:
- Spacious and luxurious interior.
- Powerful engine (go NSH overtaking no problem).
- Fuel efficient at 10-12km/l (as achieved by Lexus NX. Harrier should get better FC).
- Packed full of features which I want.
- Has air con vents for 2nd row.
Cons:
- Burst budget big time. Will be straining my finances if I go with Harrier.
- Does not have 3rd row of seats.

My own thoughts so far (but welcome to have more comments and opinions):
- Heart is with Toyota Harrier but wallet says no.
- Wallet says go for Toyota Wish which is an outdated car with not much features.
- My wife and me prefer SUV but the pricing of Wish and the interior space make us consider it.
- I have been driving 2 generations of Toyota Altis (for 10 years) and 2013 Lexus RX (for 2 years) company car. Really like driving a SUV - the feel and higher driving height is really different from a sedan.
- Mitsubishi Outlander seems like an in-between as it has good features but read that FC is really bad.
- I intend to drive at least 5 years. If huat then change car, if bo huat then drive 10 years.

What are your thoughts guys? Thanks in advance!

Outlander seems like the good middle ground between these 3. Personally I would omit the wish altogether, given that the outlander costs only 10% more than the wish, but feels more premium with a lot of features and comfort with the added bonus of being an SUV. If I may suggest, I highly recommend you to take a look at the X-trail. It's the same class and price point as the outlander, with a lot of features and tech including 360 surround view, and saves you some money on the road tax given that it's a 2.0 instead of a 2.4.

• Praise 2

TS, you already mentioned job not stable. Why still think of spending more on a car?

For me, I will just settle for a car that is lighter to my wallet. Between Outlander and Wish, I will take Wish.

No doubt it is not a new model, but nevertheless, it is still a good car to drive. And I feel you will not regret with Wish.

Supercharged

Buy used outlander lar. Save money

Why stretch urself unnecessarily?

Buy used outlander lar. Save money

Why stretch urself unnecessarily?

U may not like what i say.

讲来讲去,

if ur budget is 120k,

ur job isnt stable,

need to adjust lifestyle,

need to cut down certain luxuries,

Then u are not ready to buy a 160k car, whether or not u get a hard on every time just by looking at it or put ur hands on the steering wheel.

讲来讲去,

if u are concerned abt fuel consumption,

Why this car can do 12km/l why that car cannot,

Then go consider NA cars especially Toyota.

There is no such thing as

Cheap,

Fast,

Good FC,

when it comes to cars. Maybe i shld refer cheap to value for money in SG context.

No need what mind vs heart emo. No 160k, then dun consider. Else Volvo will next come into picture. Dun be a slave to ur car.

Now that we gotten all these out of the way, can we move on to which car servicing, maintenance and parts are the cheapest after getting THE car?

That's good opinions. I think I kind of set my mind to stick to $120k budget. The reason why I set at $120k budget is because I currently only have $100k spare cash as down payment. So it's a matter of $20k loan or $60k loan.

I'm a person who doesn't like to take big loans as my mind will keep thinking that I owe money, that's why I will cut my luxuries.

As for FC, I'm happy to do anything above 10km/l. If a car is really very good and meet all my needs, 8-10km/l is ok too.

But having said these and hearing from you, I think I will go for the Wish. Thanks!

I am not sure if those good to have features exist in the models shortlisted.

But based on your profile, Wish fits the bill best. The extra 50k is actually closer to 60k with interests. The extra 50 or 60k can make a big difference to your life 10 years down the road.

Within 10 years, your two kids will still be small enough to fit into the third row of Wish comfortably. Fetching parents 2-3 times a month does not warrant getting a very large car but your third row can also be boot space when you travel north. Moreover, Harrier is a large SUV iirc but still only seats 5 so I am not sure if it fits your needs well. But it is a beautiful car externally and internally.

That said, if getting a certain type of larger or more specced up car benefits your job or profits, then go for the best you can stretch.

That kind of sums up everything. Wish is likely a better choice.

And no, my job doesn't car what car I drive, haha!