Which car to choose?

Butterss

Yet TS clearly has a budget which he doesn't want to exceed. If money not important he would get the harrier turbo next month.

his budget is 120k. no reason to go for 100k car n ask in laws to uber other than for money.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Usually people tend to say SUV or proper MPV easier to put in child seat bah, because the seats placed higher.

• Praise 2

Harrier is still not as roomy I feel considering you have to put a child seat. Harrier turbo FC is unknown yet but I think can achieve 10-11 given thw TC. Current harrier can get about 12 though way underpowered. Outlander my fren bought for a year and sold off. Too high FC and lack of power. If you go for harrier turbo, might as well save $30k and go for subaru fxt. Roomier interior too. Can sit 3.5 adults at teh rear easily. Power is not an issue. But of course interior lose out to harrier turbo. just my thoughts.

Wish is too outdated. I put it together with mazda 5, though mazda 5 much laggier.

True. Harrier seats won't be roomy if you want to put a car seat. In this case , I think x-trail is better than harrier if you want to put a car seat. X-trail 's second row is quite a lot bigger than harrier. And also can be push forward and backward.
  • Praise 1

(edited)

Harrier second middle seat very uncomfortable due to pull down armrest.

Edited by Char

(edited)

True. Harrier seats won't be roomy if you want to put a car seat. In this case , I think x-trail is better than harrier if you want to put a car seat. X-trail 's second row is quite a lot bigger than harrier. And also can be push forward and backward.

Agreed. Xtrail is quite roomy too. But the third row seats are a goner. Harrier turbo will definitely be less draggy though compared to xtrail, which is too underpowered, coupled with the cvt...tortoise in moving off... Edited by Andyngps
  • Praise 1

From what I read, to be confirmed, Harrier turbo is going to use the same 2.0T lump used in the NX200t/RX200t. *Makes sense, since why would Toyota waste time and money developing a whole brand new 2.0T engine just for a model*

If that is the case, based on these observations:

1. Chassis size and weight: RX > or = Harrier > NX

2. NX200t feels just nice although low down step off might be a bit laggy. 

3. RX200t has been trounced by reviewer to be downright under-powered.

4. 2.0NA engine vs 2.0T engine, the turbo paraphernalia such as turbo, pipings, wastegate, intercooler are going to add to the kerb weight of the Harrier Turbo. 

Harrier Turbo might not be as spritely as what most people are hoping for....although it will be an improvement to a sluggish 2.0NA large SUV.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

From what I read, to be confirmed, Harrier turbo is going to use the same 2.0T lump used in the NX200t/RX200t. *Makes sense, since why would Toyota waste time and money developing a whole brand new 2.0T engine just for a model*

4. 2.0NA engine vs 2.0T engine, the turbo paraphernalia such as turbo, pipings, wastegate, intercooler are going to add to the kerb weight of the Harrier Turbo. 

Harrier Turbo might not be as spritely as what most people are hoping for....although it will be an improvement to a sluggish 2.0NA large SUV.

You just broke many people's dream. [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 3

(edited)

You just broke many people's dream. [laugh] [laugh]

The specs for harrier turbo in terms of torque and bhp are almost similar to subaru fxt, if we leave the different cvt asude...but 30+ k difference.... Edited by Andyngps

Agreed. Xtrail is quite roomy too. But the third row seats are a goner. Harrier turbo will definitely be less draggy though compared to xtrail, which is too underpowered, coupled with the cvt...tortoise in moving off...

I feel that x-trail's 3rd row is more for like a marketing kind of thing. But because of the 3rd row, that's why the second row can be spacious if you push the 2nd row seats all the way back. But it's good to have the 3rd row for short distances.

The specs for harrier turbo in terms of torque and bhp are almost similar to subaru fxt, if we leave the different cvt asude...but 30+ k difference....

FXT omv is a lot lower than harrier turbo no matter what.. haha. Unless for those that don't care about omv. Then the FXT is a lot cheaper.

Yes, it will be the same 2.0 engine. Just maybe it's tuned slightly different from the NX.
  • Praise 1

my pov:

i love to drive and be connected with my car.

Wish is out for me.

i love to drive a better equipped car but have limited budget.

i buy used or almost new.

• Praise 3

Been thinking for a long time on which car to buy and can't arrive at a conclusion.

Background: My family of 4 (including me, my wife, a toddler and an infant) is looking for a new car. I drop my toddler at school before going to work everyday. I will also fetch my parents/parents in law around maybe 2-3 times per month for outings. I drive to Malaysia (Ipoh) around 2 times per year and probably have some road trips to other places in Malaysia as well.

Budget: $120k

3. Toyota Harrier Turbo (price is likely to be $160k)

Pros:

- Spacious and luxurious interior.

- Powerful engine (go NSH overtaking no problem).

- Fuel efficient at 10-12km/l (as achieved by Lexus NX. Harrier should get better FC).

- Packed full of features which I want.

- Has air con vents for 2nd row.

Cons:

- Burst budget big time. Will be straining my finances if I go with Harrier.

- Does not have 3rd row of seats.

My own thoughts so far (but welcome to have more comments and opinions):

- Heart is with Toyota Harrier but wallet says no.

- Wallet says go for Toyota Wish which is an outdated car with not much features.

- My wife and me prefer SUV but the pricing of Wish and the interior space make us consider it.

- I have been driving 2 generations of Toyota Altis (for 10 years) and 2013 Lexus RX (for 2 years) company car. Really like driving a SUV - the feel and higher driving height is really different from a sedan.

- Mitsubishi Outlander seems like an in-between as it has good features but read that FC is really bad.

- I intend to drive at least 5 years. If huat then change car, if bo huat then drive 10 years.

What are your thoughts guys? Thanks in advance!

which vendor did you check Harrier Turbo, PI or AD? unlikely lower than 170k, current Harrier NA already 150k, why don't consider CRV 1.5T, should be cheaper than Harrier Turbo 2.0T

Turbocharged

The specs for harrier turbo in terms of torque and bhp are almost similar to subaru fxt, if we leave the different cvt asude...but 30+ k difference....

Well, do have to account that the Harrier is designed to be somewhat upmarket with rather luxurious interior furnishings and the Advanced models can come equipped with modern safety technologies such as radar and autonomous braking, while FXT is more of a up-powered but otherwise normal SUV here, coming from a dealer targeting low, low OMVs. FXT is definitely a better offroader though, but is that important to most users?

The Harrier engine, the Lexus 200t engine as mentioned, is also using a newer Otto-Atkinson cycle system that is probably a lot more efficient than the boxer DIT that FXT is using, but also probably more expensive to manufacture.

my pov:

i love to drive and be connected with my car.

Wish is out for me.

i love to drive a better equipped car but have limited budget.

i buy used or almost new.

Reasons like this is why people like you or me probably cannot live with a Toyota for long. 

• Praise 1

which vendor did you check Harrier Turbo, PI or AD? unlikely lower than 170k, current Harrier NA already 150k, why don't consider CRV 1.5T, should be cheaper than Harrier Turbo 2.0T

possible for it to be $150k ++ I heard the base model is $157k.

I argued about this before on other threads & after calculating, I felt that it's possible.

Subaru interior is not the best...
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

Well, do have to account that the Harrier is designed to be somewhat upmarket with rather luxurious interior furnishings and the Advanced models can come equipped with modern safety technologies such as radar and autonomous braking, while FXT is more of a up-powered but otherwise normal SUV here, coming from a dealer targeting low, low OMVs. FXT is definitely a better offroader though, but is that important to most users?

The Harrier engine, the Lexus 200t engine as mentioned, is also using a newer Otto-Atkinson cycle system that is probably a lot more efficient than the boxer DIT that FXT is using, but also probably more expensive to manufacture.

Reasons like this is why people like you or me probably cannot live with a Toyota for long.

Once u move to a car that connects, difficult to move back to b&b car Liao....

Same for me, yrs of b&b and once decided to move to a connected car and decent handling .. totally!!

I say yolo...

• Praise 3

Twincharged
(edited)

Once u move to a car that connects, difficult to move back to b&b car Liao....

Same for me, yrs of b&b and once decided to move to a connected car and decent handling .. totally!!

I say yolo...

I would say for most, think about sustainability. Would rather spend 300k drive over 30 years (assume 100k depreciation per 10 years) than over 20 years (assuming 150k depreciation per 10 years) or worse 10 years (300k depreciation every 10 years). Personal viewpoint, never start, never know.

But for the richies, choose whichever connects you.

Edited by Showster
  • Praise 2

OK so from all these can help you narrow down already.

You need:

Tall-ish driving position (SUV or MPV)

Ideally 7 seats but 5 seats also can

Decent interior space (not too small)

Good FC

Preferably Japanese

120k budget

Honestly there's really not much choice. As you mentioned, Wish and Outlander are frontrunners. If you don't mind Mazda 5 is also within budget but also quite old liao. It is nice though.

Other options are Subaru Forester, Hyundai Tucson (Korean though), or if you can go a bit smaller, Nissan Qashqai (which is not a bad car actually). 

Yes, you got my requirements correct. If there's a new version for Mazda 5, it will definitely be one of my top choices especially with the sliding doors.

If leaning towards Wish, then would suggest to try both Mazda 5 and Carens.

I understand Toyota loyalty because I had 2 Camrys before and thought I'd never go for anything else because the cars are so incredibly reliable. So if that's the over riding consideration, then by all means go for the Wish.

Kia Carens is probably the most impressive of the trio, as it's the newest design, and just feels more premium than M5 and Wish overall. Plus its diesel, so FC will be much better.

For a Toyota fan, the brand is probably the biggest bridge to cross. So do your own research on that front, but Carens definitely worth checking out.

Seems like the Kia Carens is another hot mention in this thread.

Yeah, not that I'm a fan of Toyota but having driven 3 Toyotas before for more than 12 years and not encountering any issues except wear and tear, it's hard to think of jumping to another brand. Kind of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type of mentality.

Thanks, I will definitely check out the Kia Carens.

TS,

Why not consider $100k car? The extra 20k enough for your in-laws to take taxi/uber/grab more than 10yrs.....just saying

No lah, sometimes in life, it's the human relationship and not money issue.

You see ah, imagine I buy a new car and then instead of driving my in-laws, I give them money to take taxi/uber/grab. Like very bo sim leh. Sure to strain the relationship in long time.

"My son-in-law has a new car but doesn't want to drive us ah..."

Yet TS clearly has a budget which he doesn't want to exceed. If money not important he would get the harrier turbo next month.

I will try not to exceed my budget if I want to practise financial prudence. If I go by my heart, next month sure get Harrier Turbo liao.

Money is definitely important as I have 2 young kids.

Harrier is still not as roomy I feel considering you have to put a child seat. Harrier turbo FC is unknown yet but I think can achieve 10-11 given thw TC. Current harrier can get about 12 though way underpowered. Outlander my fren bought for a year and sold off. Too high FC and lack of power. If you go for harrier turbo, might as well save $30k and go for subaru fxt. Roomier interior too. Can sit 3.5 adults at teh rear easily. Power is not an issue. But of course interior lose out to harrier turbo. just my thoughts.

Wish is too outdated. I put it together with mazda 5, though mazda 5 much laggier.

I have to put 2 child seats, not 1. Yeah, it will definitely not be roomy. The Harrier Turbo choice was mainly for the boy in me who wants a powerful car with good road presence.

If I can accept Wish's dated interior, I think I can accept Subaru FXT's interior.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4