Open Pod

• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
5 replies to this topic | 10 praises

Posted 11 June 2017 - 06:32 PM

Bond38
  • Bond38
    1st Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi guys..just got a Jazz GD1 {M} with open pod filter.
isit true that this will lose the low rpm torque??
Thinking of changing back to original air box....

Thanks for reply. icon_wink.gif

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:23 PM

Stratovarius
  • Premium member
    Stratovarius
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Technically yes. Was on open pod filter for a few years before changing to a custom air box. Open pod also sounds nicer on the high end. But you probably cant feel the difference on daily drive.
Reason i changed is coz the filter design on the open pod i got is not very good. I feel that alot of dust can go through. K&n drop in filter is much better. Cleaner for the engine.

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

Slowpoke
  • Premium member
    Slowpoke
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

-----------------------------------------------------------
I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol
-----------------------------------------------------------

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:45 PM

Achtung
  • Premium member
    Achtung
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

If there's no proper heat shield and its ingesting hot air, please revert to stock. U r much better off.

Hi guys..just got a Jazz GD1 {M} with open pod filter.
isit true that this will lose the low rpm torque??
Thinking of changing back to original air box....

Thanks for reply. icon_wink.gif

If you cannot differentiate a TP from an LTA officer, you ain't a car enthusiast.

Have you come here to play Jesus, to the Lepers in your head? U2 - One

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:52 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

There are a lot of talk on this "open pod" but what I find is that a lot of ppl who lacks the common understanding of how it works and which is suitable for your car. I'm sharing what I understand and hopefully it will help you clear your doubts and have a better understanding. And not echo words other ppl say all the time.

Do take note that if you want to use any of the "open pods" it's more effective with tuning or used together with an aftermarket tuning chip.

Basically there are two types. Yeah I know, to some ppl it looks all the same. Just read what I have to say.

1) Short Ram air intake.

This type of air intake provides the shortest possible route for the air to reach the throttle body or turbo inlet.

hps_performance_short_ram_air_intakes_bl

short-Ram.jpg

What ppl say: It sucks engine heat.

My opinion: Yes. Ppl are correct. There's a....but.

Application: More suitable for turbocharged engine. Why? Regardless whether cool air or hot air enters the turbo it will be heated up....this is where the air intercooler comes into play and cools the hot air. So whether you are using a cold air intake or short ram intake it doesn't matter much.

Pros: With tuning and used with a turbocharged engine it performs well and sounds the part coz you get to hear the waste gate work. The stock airbox is a muffler that silence every noise.

Cons: Noise caused by the air moving thru the pipe works. Not suitable for NA engines as it really does suck in more engine heat.

2) Cold Air Intake or CAI

The pipe works are routed in such a way that it draws ambient air or outside the engine bay's air rather dan sucking hot air from inside the engine bay. Ppl will try to install the open pod nearer to the bottom of the car and/or as near to the front of the front bumper as possible and away from the heat. Usually has longer pipe works.

31kmKpsltlL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

41mcRAieSDL._SX355_.jpg

You will see ppl cut a hole on their front  bumper to install this type of air duct to draw ambient air.

What ppl say: It sucks engine heat. (To them these two types are no different, looks the same)

My opinion: Yeah. It does draw hot air...in Singapore's climate. Looking at the metal parts and installed inside the engine bay, cool air becomes hot air and hot air becomes hotter air.

Pros: More suited for NA engines...in cooler climate. But it also requires tuning to be effective.

Cons: Money spent but insignificant results (tuning a NA small engine does not yield much results too). Plus the air sucking noises it makes.

All these open pods are not say not good but you have to also look at how they are designed to draw air and the how it's applied. Some are specifically designed for a certain car make and engine that complements the existing stock pipe works. Some comes with a lot of heat shielding(who are we kidding? It's inside an engine bay).

Hopefully what I shared can help you understand and see which is suitable for what application. They do look the same. Of course some ppl dun believe it and prefer to keep things stock. That's alright. There's no right or wrong. Some ppl just want to do drop-in. Like I mentioned if no tuning it's no different from stock air filter. If you are using oil filters make sure you clean away the excess oil. Usually when it comes new in a box it's still wet. You won't want the oil to accumulate on your air sensors.

Turboguy and Theoldjaffa praised this
The chosen one will bring balance to the Force...I mean Singapore. Even star wars do not reserve "the chosen one" to a sith lord or a jedi or a wookie.

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:21 PM

Fels
  • Fels
    4th Gear
    Author Image

There are a lot of talk on this "open pod" but what I find is that a lot of ppl who lacks the common understanding of how it works and which is suitable for your car. I'm sharing what I understand and hopefully it will help you clear your doubts and have a better understanding. And not echo words other ppl say all the time.

Do take note that if you want to use any of the "open pods" it's more effective with tuning or used together with an aftermarket tuning chip.
Basically there are two types. Yeah I know, to some ppl it looks all the same. Just read what I have to say.

1) Short Ram air intake.
This type of air intake provides the shortest possible route for the air to reach the throttle body or turbo inlet.
hps_performance_short_ram_air_intakes_bl
short-Ram.jpg

What ppl say: It sucks engine heat.
My opinion: Yes. Ppl are correct. There's a....but.
Application: More suitable for turbocharged engine. Why? Regardless whether cool air or hot air enters the turbo it will be heated up....this is where the air intercooler comes into play and cools the hot air. So whether you are using a cold air intake or short ram intake it doesn't matter much.
Pros: With tuning and used with a turbocharged engine it performs well and sounds the part coz you get to hear the waste gate work. The stock airbox is a muffler that silence every noise.
Cons: Noise caused by the air moving thru the pipe works. Not suitable for NA engines as it really does suck in more engine heat.

2) Cold Air Intake or CAI
The pipe works are routed in such a way that it draws ambient air or outside the engine bay's air rather dan sucking hot air from inside the engine bay. Ppl will try to install the open pod nearer to the bottom of the car and/or as near to the front of the front bumper as possible and away from the heat. Usually has longer pipe works.
31kmKpsltlL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
41mcRAieSDL._SX355_.jpg
You will see ppl cut a hole on their front bumper to install this type of air duct to draw ambient air.

What ppl say: It sucks engine heat. (To them these two types are no different, looks the same)
My opinion: Yeah. It does draw hot air...in Singapore's climate. Looking at the metal parts and installed inside the engine bay, cool air becomes hot air and hot air becomes hotter air.
Pros: More suited for NA engines...in cooler climate. But it also requires tuning to be effective.
Cons: Money spent but insignificant results (tuning a NA small engine does not yield much results too). Plus the air sucking noises it makes.

All these open pods are not say not good but you have to also look at how they are designed to draw air and the how it's applied. Some are specifically designed for a certain car make and engine that complements the existing stock pipe works. Some comes with a lot of heat shielding(who are we kidding? It's inside an engine bay).

Hopefully what I shared can help you understand and see which is suitable for what application. They do look the same. Of course some ppl dun believe it and prefer to keep things stock. That's alright. There's no right or wrong. Some ppl just want to do drop-in. Like I mentioned if no tuning it's no different from stock air filter. If you are using oil filters make sure you clean away the excess oil. Usually when it comes new in a box it's still wet. You won't want the oil to accumulate on your air sensors.

Many can talk about this is good for this and that type of engine. In the real automotive industry, all air fuel mixture tuning requires verification to agreed power and torque increase as per engineering requirement in relation to collateral parts.

What is your power and torque increase?
How much is the mod?
What are the collaterals?
"He who stops being better stops being good."
Oliver Cromwell

Back to Performance and Tuning  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Hurricane Stainless Steel Air Filter

Hurricane Stainless Steel Air Filter  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Don80  |  Neutral Newbie

Good filter so far

Install this when I bought the car in 2011.. Till now no complain and have serve me well... Cheaper compare to paper filter... Save me a lot of money....$$$$

Toyota Genuine Parts Cabin Air Filters

Toyota Genuine Parts Cabin Air Filters  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by TakBolehTahan  |  Neutral Newbie

The highest end air filter for my ride.

My previous factory installed filter was going on for a while and was pretty dirty. I undid the clips and spring-loaded arm holding the glove box 'door' up and installed this new filter. It is worth noting that this particular cabin air filte... » Read More

Related Product Guide search on sgCarMart.com : Air Filter

Quick Reply

Tags: honda, hondajazz honda filter and 2 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users