Accident at Newton Circus

leeys

Supercharged

Thank you everyone for the advice,the other party does not wish to settle privately,nor does he wish to settle by Insurance

We argued for awhile and he just left after exchanging particulars

Now I am troubled,Should I make a claim or settle it myself(Damage about $100+ only)?I am also afraid that If I dont make a claim,And he claims against me,My premium is going to shoot up

I am a first time insurance holder,No NCD yet

Do not worry, minor accident only. Just quickly report to your insurer (quickly check the reporting procedures for your insurer) first thing tomorrow morning.

Your videos honestly may put yourself at a disadvantage, however since you already put it in public domain, be prepared that it may be already copied out by the other party and submitted.

Yes you will almost certainly get loading on your next insurance renewal. Just treat this as a lesson and be more careful next time. 

Again, small thing only... move on (emotionally) and let the system handle it.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

(edited)

Hi Guys,Got into an accident this morning at Newton Circus Roundabout,Would like some advice if whether I am in the wrong or I had the right of way?

Thanks Guys

1st Video(Before I entered the roundabout):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZJinuDgRgg

2nd Video(Full video of the accident):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_vfQ7YywNo

My observations,  you had the right of way - if you can't go straight, it would have been indicated by the road markings just like the rest of the exits of this roundabout. 

Edited by Kklee
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Everyone has differing views, but the only one which will matter will be between the insurers and IDAC, would suggest you make a report at the IDAC within 24 hours, they are independent so even if insurance is not used they will still have a record.

Personally (will differ from others)

- Newton circus roundabout there is no black and white, takes intuition on the ground when driving and accidents can be somewhat grey.

- If I were not turning left I would not be on that lane

- However the lane you were on does permit you to go straight or turn left (i.e IMO you had right of way)

- Accident happen after you pass the exit, which mean the other driver didn't use intuition to gauge if you were going straight or turning

I would say he is at fault mainly due to lane markings, would you advise you use the above and make a report. Worse case its 50/50 best case you might be able to claim him fully. I think the other driver may be concern of this and also don't want to claim, however if you can agree both sides independently settle then just avoid the BS sign an agreement and swallow the loss. Please ah sign an agreement first no agreement better you report IDAC also.

It was similiar to a close call I had, not a roundabout but road markings were similiar to your case, in this instance some would say the jag would be at fault

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFsZUe7nbHQ

Hi Guys,Got into an accident this morning at Newton Circus Roundabout,Would like some advice if whether I am in the wrong or I had the right of way?

Thanks Guys

1st Video(Before I entered the roundabout):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZJinuDgRgg

2nd Video(Full video of the accident):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_vfQ7YywNo

Actually the other driver also know its 50-50,thats why he said we each do our own repairs, settle it ourselves

He didnt want to compensate me(I thought i was 0% fault at first)We then argued for awhile

He didnt want to claim insurance, also dont want to sign private agreement, then after arguing he just left

I intend to bring the car to insurance workshop tomorrow to do a accident report, but wont be making a claim, as I think its not worth it

Everyone has differing views, but the only one which will matter will be between the insurers and IDAC, would suggest you make a report at the IDAC within 24 hours, they are independent so even if insurance is not used they will still have a record.

Personally (will differ from others)

- Newton circus roundabout there is no black and white, takes intuition on the ground when driving and accidents can be somewhat grey.

- If I were not turning left I would not be on that lane

- However the lane you were on does permit you to go straight or turn left (i.e IMO you had right of way)

- Accident happen after you pass the exit, which mean the other driver didn't use intuition to gauge if you were going straight or turning

I would say he is at fault mainly due to lane markings, would you advise you use the above and make a report. Worse case its 50/50 best case you might be able to claim him fully. I think the other driver may be concern of this and also don't want to claim, however if you can agree both sides independently settle then just avoid the BS sign an agreement and swallow the loss. Please ah sign an agreement first no agreement better you report IDAC also.

It was similiar to a close call I had, not a roundabout but road markings were similiar to your case, in this instance some would say the jag would be at fault

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFsZUe7nbHQ

I am already intending to do an accident report at my insurance workshop, do i still need to report to IDAC?

Actually what is IDAC,I am a noob, never heard of this before

Turbocharged

I would also self settle (though I think other party might have suspected he might kanna 100%, or at best 50% so its lose lose if he claims IMO)

Ps - Last time a cabby hit me and run I lodge a report to my insurer, from what I was told once the report with insurer is lodged they will proceed to claim the other party unless there is a signed agreement that the other side will not claim. This is to indemnify them in case other party comes and claim. 

So lodging a report with the insurer is as good as claiming from what I was told. Thats what the WS told me.

After I got the signed letter from the cabby that we settle private then the insurer dropped the case.

Actually the other driver also know its 50-50,thats why he said we each do our own repairs, settle it ourselves

He didnt want to compensate me(I thought i was 0% fault at first)We then argued for awhile

He didnt want to claim insurance, also dont want to sign private agreement, then after arguing he just left

I intend to bring the car to insurance workshop tomorrow to do a accident report, but wont be making a claim, as I think its not worth it
I am already intending to do an accident report at my insurance workshop, do i still need to report to IDAC?

Woh that I dunno hoho, last time I kanna they were still around 

Got quite a few companies leh

http://www.idac.com.sg/

I think IDAC is history liao unless your insurer is Anuty Lusi.

There are no road arrows to start off with.

Nonetheless, insurers are very chow kuan. So u might end up with a 50-50.

If he says each settle own, I would let it go. Is the damage bad?

post-88-0-30269100-1497792165_thumb.jpg

(edited)

no matter what you better report your case

you never know the other guy chutt pattern more than badminton

now that you have more and more evidence that based on road "layout' ... you are in the right ...

you should claim first rather than wait 50-50 to give chance ... let the insurer settle / decide for you

what do others think?

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

(edited)

I would also self settle (though I think other party might have suspected he might kanna 100%, or at best 50% so its lose lose if he claims IMO)

Ps - Last time a cabby hit me and run I lodge a report to my insurer, from what I was told once the report with insurer is lodged they will proceed to claim the other party unless there is a signed agreement that the other side will not claim. This is to indemnify them in case other party comes and claim.

So lodging a report with the insurer is as good as claiming from what I was told. Thats what the WS told me.

After I got the signed letter from the cabby that we settle private then the insurer dropped the case.

I see

Will check with the workshop tomorrow

Edited by leeys

think it's not supported by all insurers. So, better ownself check ownself policy.

The last accident I had about 7 years back, I drove straight to my preferred w/s and let them settle everything. Never went through IDAC.

• Praise 2

There are no road arrows to start off with.

Nonetheless, insurers are very chow kuan. So u might end up with a 50-50.

If he says each settle own, I would let it go. Is the damage bad?

Yeah i did not see any arrows so it was quite confusing,damage is just $100+

Turbocharged

But the cons is as per what @wt_know said the other fella might turn around claim you if he turned out to be a bast*ard. Then if you didn't tell ur insurer initially then you might be in a worse situation (I know it sucks)

Check the IDAC site, is your insurer with them? If you make a IDAC report they will just compliment any insurance claim you make later, lodging an IDAC report is not like lodging an insurance report. they just take picture take video for documentary sake.

I see, if lodging a report is like claiming, then i wont lodge a report

Will check with the workshop tomorrow

• Praise 3

But the cons is as per what @wt_know said the other fella might turn around claim you if he turned out to be a bast*ard. Then if you didn't tell ur insurer initially then you might be in a worse situation (I know it sucks)

Check the IDAC site, is your insurer with them? If you make a IDAC report they will just compliment any insurance claim you make later, lodging an IDAC report is not like lodging an insurance report. they just take picture take video for documentary sake.

My insurer is not with IDAC,Seems like I am getting more evidence that I am in the right(although I know its not 100%)

Tomorrow will see the workshop advice also

• Praise 1

true ... signal to protect yourself from goondu driver ...

Just keep in mind when it comes to a roundabout.....

Signal your intention. Other drivers can't read your mind.

Thanks Guys

your 2nd video, the lane you were in, can turn left or go straight, based on the lane markings, i believe many cars that coming in from Newton Road will end up in this lane then go straight too. It is the other car that wanted to make a last-minute lane change into the lane you were in (then turn left?) at fault. i have witnessed the exactly similar incident at PIE-AYE circle

That said, you should have moved to inner lane for smoother traffic since you wanted to go straight.

(edited)

If you have this video likely you will win.

You have the right of way. Doesn't matter if you signal or not. The other party and even the white truck before filters from mid lane which is only for going straight to novena. That area is very busy so always keep a look out.

Edited by Silverstein
↡ Advertisement