Accident at Newton Circus

leeys

(edited)

wah sibei stress approaching roundabout

if 3 lanes ... A MUST exit ... if A continue ... probably cause 50-50 collision

if 2 lanes ... A and B both can continue to next exit but scare B kancheong spider and knock A

post-7984-0-92487200-1497881426.png

Edited by Wt_know

Supercharged

if 2 lanes ... A and B both can continue to next exit but scare B kancheong spider and knock A

i wonder y LTA doesn't draw arrows to reduce the confusion...

• Praise 1

Think TS has a similar incident (near accident) at exactly the same spot 1 month prior to this accident.

I saw red cam car as well, you mean this is the same TS for second similar encounter?

Driver wrong.

In wrong lane.

But you can always argue you got signal.

But if the other car has car camera, good luck.

How to signal going straight? 

Driver is not in the wrong. Speaking from over 30 years driving experience. He could have driven continuously round and round on the outer lane and no cop will book him. It is the responsibility of the driver who needs to exit a roundabout to move to the outer lane early prior to the exit, not cut across the outer lane at the exit itself and assuming every car at the outer lane must exit. Having said that, it is best to practise defensive driving in these situations. I drive on this circus regularly too.   

Eh... maybe different circus.  TS's  circus cannot go round and round on the outer lane. 

Turbocharged

Hi keep us posted on what your WS advises, be good to see what their view is etc

Hi Guys,Got into an accident this morning at Newton Circus Roundabout,Would like some advice if whether I am in the wrong or I had the right of way?

Thanks Guys

1st Video(Before I entered the roundabout):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZJinuDgRgg

2nd Video(Full video of the accident):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_vfQ7YywNo

(edited)

I saw red cam car as well, you mean this is the same TS for second similar encounter?

No puns intended, all 3 videos including TS's first 2 are posted by the same account holder.

Edited by Vvman

(edited)

it's a 3 LANES roundabout

based on LTA roundabout advisory ... TS is in the right that he can either exit or go straight to next exit

but insurance might say otherwise ... [laugh]

post-7984-0-44675400-1497918443_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wt_know

A picture (and highway code) speaks a thousand words.

ROAD TRAFFIC ACT

(CHAPTER 276, SECTION 112)

HIGHWAY CODE

PART IV

THE ROAD USER ON WHEELS

76. Slow down when approaching a roundabout, and give way to traffic on your right.

f86ad06f-5ec1-45e4-8185-cf69cc480c92.jpe

Remember â you must always give way to traffic approaching from your right. The general rule is that â

traffic from Lane A in this illustration goes to âAâ;

traffic from Lane B goes to âBâ; and

traffic from Lane C goes to âCâ.

If, however, you find your correct lane overcrowded, you may use another lane to reach your destination: Provided that â

(a)

you give clear signals showing your intention in good time;

(b)

you obey the right-hand rule;

(c)

you do not inconvenience other drivers;

(d)

you use your mirror intelligently to see that you do not obstruct the path of vehicles behind you.
TS was not wrong in the circle based on actual lane marking. But refer to the diagram, the 2 lanes road leading to the roundabout( the right hand side diagram) is applicable to TS scenario. Since he was making a right turn(4th exit), right from the beginning on bukit timah road, TS should have taken lane B. But he followed the bus all the way by taking lane A when entering the circle. So he was wrong right from the beginning if follow the diagram strictly, whether he was on the correct lane in the circle becomes secondary.

Inbfact when he was on bt tomah road following the bus, i was given the impression that he was about to turn left soon.

Hypersonic

i hv seen several times, clowns (position car A) entering at left most lane and exit at 3/4 (3rd exit)

made cars (who need to exit at 2nd) have to stop and let the clown go 

the car behind have to brake too

• Praise 1

I have given up telling people to signal in Singapore. It has become a habit to most drivers not to even lift a pinky finger.

Luckily for me, my habit is to signal even in car parks or when there are no cars around because my signals are not only meant for vehicles, it's also meant for pedestrians.

Most drivers will just stick to the left most lane and exit when necessary. Every time you enter a circle it's a bet against those on the outer lanes.

• Praise 1

Its clear like this when there are only cars from the original A & B positions coming fm the road below. But when there are also cars coming from that left junction, A2 & B2 doing similar manoeuvre, the A2 although in the left most outer lane will be going straight to his second exit towards the right side road. So the original car B still need to give way to A2? or if A2 can only proceed when the roundabout is clear, he may never ever get out.

This circus is complex lah. The highway code diagram might not be applicable as-is in this case.

There seems to be some parts with even 4 lanes.

From the video posted, TS was travelling on a lane (left-most) that at an earlier point, had indicated an arrow that allows it to go straight or turn left.

post-17508-0-10763700-1497925062_thumb.png

TS and the bus in front then moved to a 'straight-only' lane. (Don't ask me why the bus turned from there later  [laugh] )

post-17508-0-70223800-1497925080_thumb.png

And after that, there was no more arrows because it became a yellow box. But the last arrow before the yellow box, indicated that the white vehicle was on a 'straight-only' lane, which means it was wrong to turn left on that lane, but TS gave way to it. (Of course, i hope it wasn't a case that the white car had signalled and tried to filter but TS didn't give way till the last min)

post-17508-0-69538100-1497925104_thumb.png

Following this observation, the car behind the white vehicle was just following the wrong thing done in front of it, and tried to turn left on a 'straight-only' lane.

Why got comments said TS is fully at fault leh? Shouldn't it be the other way round?

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Its clear like this when there are only cars from the original A & B positions coming fm the road below. But when there are also cars coming from that left junction, A2 & B2 doing similar manoeuvre, the A2 although in the left most outer lane will be going straight to his second exit towards the right side road. So the original car B still need to give way to A2? or if A2 can only proceed when the roundabout is clear, he may never ever get out.

whichever entry point into circus/circle

if making 3/4 exit, enter at right most lane

and start filtering (when inside circus/circle) to left and exit

if everyone is doing the same (different entry point), safe 

it is very dangerous enter left,and keep left until 3/4 exit  [dizzy]

• Praise 2

(edited)

whichever entry point into circus/circle

if making 3/4 exit, enter at right most lane

and start filtering (when inside circus/circle) to left and exit

if everyone is doing the same (different entry point), safe 

it is very dangerous enter left,and keep left until 3/4 exit  [dizzy]

yeah only if everyone is doing that... in real life in sg, not easy to enter on the right most lanes since many drivers on the outer lanes r going straight instead of exiting the roundabout .. u need to wait a long time till 2 lanes are clear to be able to enter to the 2nd lane. I guess dats y many ppl simply just keep to the outer lane, chicken n egg. Just remember to signal left when exiting the roundabout but many ppl don't even do this.

Edited by Kzone
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2