World squatting record set by student!

Ender

Hypersonic
(edited)

Another meaningful world record by a Singaporean. Very proud of this type of record, as oppose to those goofy type, like longest satay, most people wear ballon hat.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/powerlifting-singapore-teen-sets-new-sub-junior-squat-world-8958990

Powerlifting: Singapore teen sets new sub-junior squat world record

A strategic move to pile on the weights on his third try led to the 17-year-old breaking the squat sub-junior powerlifting world record.

matthew-yap-powerlifting-1.jpg

Singaporean teen powerlifter Matthew Yap. (Photo: YouTube screengrab)

BELARUS: Singaporean powerlifter Matthew Yap set a new squat world record in the Under-66kg sub-junior category on Sunday (Jun 18).

The 17-year-old hit 208 kilogrammes in his final attempt at the World Classic Powerlifting Championships in Minsk, Belarus.

He cleared 190kg on his first try but opted to skip his second attempt due to a cramp.

On his third attempt, Yap managed to overtake Kazakhstan's Dmitriy Chebanov on the leaderboard with his world-record lift, earning the Singaporean the gold medal.

The win adds to Yap's silver medals in the bench press as well as his overall standing in the competition, which ends this weekend.

Source: CNA/fr
Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/powerlifting-singapore-teen-sets-new-sub-junior-squat-world-8958990

Edited by Ender
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 23

It is really sad, for me to see that we have come to a stage where posting of information in mcf has to come to this extent.

We have good, encouraging information having to hide under all kinds of threads, and we have threads being merge with back dated and out dated other threads.

Such a promising young man, with a great future in this sport, bringing pride to Singapore, and he has to hide under some pull up threads.

Not surprising at all, as ppl now are so concern of starting new threads, and over the other side we are talking abt how our PM abuse his power.

@babyblade, @jman888, @radx, is it too much to ask for an individual thread for this young man, or sld we just change the title yet again and have all world record under one thread.

Life is really confusing.

• Praise 9

It is really sad, for me to see that we have come to a stage where posting of information in mcf has to come to this extent.

We have good, encouraging information having to hide under all kinds of threads, and we have threads being merge with back dated and out dated other threads.

Such a promising young man, with a great future in this sport, bringing pride to Singapore, and he has to hide under some pull up threads.

Not surprising at all, as ppl now are so concern of starting new threads, and over the other side we are talking abt how our PM abuse his power.

@babyblade, @jman888, @radx, is it too much to ask for an individual thread for this young man, or sld we just change the title yet again and have all world record under one thread.

Life is really confusing.

thnks for being the ultimate kpo...........agree with this

splitted

now go back to your coffin haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

• Praise 1

This is not an Olympic event right. That one is only clean and jerk and the other category.

I tried jerked and clean up. It can be really satisfying sometimes.

• Praise 3

chey i thought what squatting, i also squat alot in primary school, my classmate best, he kena squat everyday for a month like ebery term.

Now i still squat occasionally at home    [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 6

I tried jerked and clean up. It can be really satisfying sometimes.

no one else got ur joke?? i think its better done with opposite pair... more satisfying.. hahaha

Hypersonic

chey i thought what squatting, i also squat alot in primary school, my classmate best, he kena squat everyday for a month like ebery term.

last time JB custom also made 2 ladies "squat" before [lipsrsealed]

• Praise 3

no one else got ur joke?? i think its better done with opposite pair... more satisfying.. hahaha

My jokes were usually bad...hahaha.

well done and kudos to the man

making Singapore proud, can't say the same for others

Lets not forget the other 2 boys, Zack Toh won 1 silver and 3 bronzes, while Kenji Loy had a bronze too. These two boys sld be cheered as well. 

Well done to the whole team, looks like we do have some local talents in sports after all.  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]  [thumbsup]

Hypersonic

Now i still squat occasionally at home [laugh][laugh]

Amos Yee, is Singapore squatting champion.
  • Praise 1

This is not an Olympic event right. That one is only clean and jerk and the other category.

yah lor, dont under why when the other 3 are actually more commonly used. 

your old woman still punish you this way?  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Yes it's a great achievement. People who nvr go gym may not appreciate how tough it is to squat 3x bodyweight.

Lol think my back will break.

Yes it's a great achievement. People who nvr go gym may not appreciate how tough it is to squat 3x bodyweight.

I have not seen anyone did that in my gym, not even double.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement