Memory Card lifespans in car cameras

7hm

Turbocharged

It might also be due to the quality of the SD card.

I had one Samsung Evo 16GB failed on me. Didn't use it for long.

It simply cannot be read by OS and formatted.

I still find Sandisk more trustworthy.

This is probably the case. As mentioned, cheaper cards are probably using TLC, which have low write endurance, while premium cards like Extreme Pro or Lexar Professional are likely built off MLC.

I bought an EVO 16GB just a few months ago and it's already tossing up the errors I saw on the Transcend and ADATA cards after they aged.

Mine is FHD I think. Model DR3500. Not sure about resolution setting but I think the installer would have set the max by default.

I felt better not wait for it to fail then have to scramble to find a replacement card and get a copy of the program from somewhere again. Too much inconvenience over a small value item.  

This is wise, at any rate any driver ought to have two memory cards on them at any time, is my advice.

↡ Advertisement

So far the longest serving 32gb micoSD memory card for me is from Samsung. The black colour one with blue wordings. Coming to 4 years of continuous recording in both of my Blackvue DR400HD which has overheating issues. Yes, mine still alive and recording!!! A few months, just remove and clean the lens and its back to great working condition again.

Ya. Imagine how hot that DR400HD is and this bloody Samsung microSD just refuse to be beaten!!! I dont think they sell them anymore.

Photo here :

Samsung-MicroSD-Fastest-Speed-Data-Trans

• Praise 1

If they continue to sell such hardy and reliable SD cards, they will bankrupt soon. [laugh]

So far the longest serving 32gb micoSD memory card for me is from Samsung. The black colour one with blue wordings. Coming to 4 years of continuous recording in both of my Blackvue DR400HD which has overheating issues. Yes, mine still alive and recording!!! A few months, just remove and clean the lens and its back to great working condition again.

Ya. Imagine how hot that DR400HD is and this bloody Samsung microSD just refuse to be beaten!!! I dont think they sell them anymore.

Photo here :

Supersonic

This is probably the case. As mentioned, cheaper cards are probably using TLC, which have low write endurance, while premium cards like Extreme Pro or Lexar Professional are likely built off MLC.

I bought an EVO 16GB just a few months ago and it's already tossing up the errors I saw on the Transcend and ADATA cards after they aged.

This is wise, at any rate any driver ought to have two memory cards on them at any time, is my advice.

Maybe you're right.

This article appears to be recommending MLC based SD cards

https://www.carcamcentral.com/guide/recommended-sd-cards-avoid-sandisk-ultra-cards

Turbocharged

Photo here :

That's interesting because those are apparently their "standard" series!

Turbocharged

It doesn't have rules. I had a problem with Transcend after a year and my friend is using San Disk for many years and it's doing fine. 

what conditions were those cards subjected to, and what type were there?

Does "many years" of runtime on that SanDisk include 24/7 parking recording?? Is the card a high grade class like Extreme??

Is it really necessary to record a car's whole life? I just don't get the necessity of it. What do we do with this record?

We all love our car, don't you think we should give it some privacy? ;)

Turbocharged

Is it really necessary to record a car's whole life? I just don't get the necessity of it. What do we do with this record?

We all love our car, don't you think we should give it some privacy? ;)

Unless it is parked in a garage I don't think it can be private  [laugh]

Heat and write and re-write over the SD cards would shorten the lifespan for sure. 

But is it necessary for 24/7 shooting even if its on parking mode ? SD cards die faster is one issue...my major concern would be issues with the car unable to start if there is a drain on the battery. 

Unless one has those big 100amp batteries, majority of the Japanese cars battery won't be able to last given a constant drain on the battery by the DVR. 

BTW....even if you catch someone bang into your beloved ride...you report police also they tell you go make a private summon against the other car. 

Turbocharged

Heat and write and re-write over the SD cards would shorten the lifespan for sure. 

But is it necessary for 24/7 shooting even if its on parking mode ? SD cards die faster is one issue...my major concern would be issues with the car unable to start if there is a drain on the battery. 

Unless one has those big 100amp batteries, majority of the Japanese cars battery won't be able to last given a constant drain on the battery by the DVR. 

BTW....even if you catch someone bang into your beloved ride...you report police also they tell you go make a private summon against the other car. 

You can make a insurance claim if they hit and run.

Or at least TP might send warning or action against them if its serious.

Most parking-mode capable cameras today have an anti-discharge function as well as reduced power consumption during parking mode. Provided you don't leave your car alone for more than a week it shouldn't drain entirely in most cases. But it will likely shorten the lifespan of the battery itself.

So I been having intermittent issues with my dash cam over the last year, it finally seemed that the problem was the memory card. Now looking further into it, the issue at hand is that most memory cards aren't suitable for the 24/7 continous writing in surveillance/CCTV mode enabled dash cams. A typical 32GB card will hold maybe 2, maybe 4 to 5, hours worth of content which means that it is probably eating through its entire capacity's worth perhaps 2 or 3 times a day.

Most common memory cards are built on a cheaper variety of memory chips called TLC NAND, which have relatively short write endurance of around 3,000~5,000 cycles, which apparently translates to about 150~300 total overwrites. Examples include be SanDisk Ultra cards...

Then there's MLC and SLC NAND, which without going into working detail, get more endurance.

Doing some simple math, 150 total overwrites, assuming the card does it twice a day, a cheap memory card could eat through its entire rated write endurance in less than a year! My older dashcam-used memory cards, even with formatting, cuck up the camera every few seconds now.

Anyway, I notice now there are High Endurance for video surveillance memory cards by SanDisk, Lexar and Transcend, advertised to handle at least 2 years of continuous recording. I'm trying out the SanDisk card, will be interesting to see if it's still problem free after warranty is over.

Anyone else tried those, or other brands of cards?

I'd also like to get some more data from other users about how long their memory cards are lasting in cams.

i've never experienced such a problem.. car cameras also have g-sensors to protect footage from 'events'.. why would you need to keep all your footage forever?

↡ Advertisement