Kenwood DDX 917WS

weekiat572

I've also recently installed DDX917WS on my Sienta but my installer (not car dealer) don't have the required 12v to 6v step down regulator to retain factory oem 6v reverse camera. I'm puzzled why car dealers' installers could do it if buyers get the HU from them.

Anyone knows where I can get one locally without being carrot-headed? It doesn't cost much online from overseas sellers but shipping makes it not worthwhile. I was told Sim Lim Tower but other than 12v to 6v I'm not sure how much amp/watt is needed.

At the same time, I was told most owners changed the factory reverse camera which has a narrow fish-eye view to aftermarket 12v ones with wider view.

Looking at available options if I cannot find the regulator:

• Kenwood CMOS-320 Multi-View Camera. DDX917WS has built-in support to select the 4 angle views without using the supplied switch. Switch can be disconnected after setting Cam ID. Can be used as either front or rear or both front and rear cam at same time. Expensive ($2XX to $3XX overseas) and may not be available locally like most other Kenwood's car products.
  • Kenwood CMOS-130 Single-angle only. Can be used as front but not sure if both front and rear at same time. Shouldn't be an issue.

CMOS-320 is nice especially since it is supported natively but 2 of it would cost almost half of those Chinese made 360 Degree Bird's Eye View Camera and yet does not offer as much coverage compare to 360 degree. However, I would rather wait to see if Toyota would make an OEM one for Sienta unless these Chinese made one are stable and offers integrated features like OEM ones. Otherwise, I'm leaning more towards just using factory reverse cam for now unless maybe JB has the CMOS-320 at more attractive price since likely cannot get locally.

↡ Advertisement

To current owners and potential owners of DDX917WS or compatible models, just sharing that Kenwood DRV-N520 Drive Assist Camera is also natively supported. SGD227 from Rakuten excluding shipping. However, the designers and engineers deserved a knock on their head for not coming out with dual channel. Duh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMVbT5Exrdg

Again I don't think it's available locally yet or ever will be but regardless will you get it for it's integration with the HU despite being single channel and perhaps pair it with other single-channel for rear? What do you guys think?

There is also the KFC-XS1703 high-res speakers supposedly launched to go with DDX917WS high-res audio capability. Limited distribution so probably only Japan has it now. SGD365 from Rakuten excluding shipping.

I know nuts about speakers. Looking at the specs and youtube videos attached, is it any good?

Review KENWOOD KFC-XS1703

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2iiVQ_06QA

Unbox KENWOOD KFC-XS1703

Kenwood speaker KFC-XS1703 installation on Prius 2016

Kenwood KFC-XS1703 Review Listening in the car

post-24572-0-23278900-1502285530_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carz73

DNX4150BT can work with KCA-WL100 and even manage to control phone from head unit!

Similar to DDX916WS which also need the dongle. DDX917WS now comes with WiFi built-in for 2-way controllable wireless Air Mirror for Android. iPhone though can only be controlled 1 way from the phone. iPhone home screen can be displayed on the hu in landscape mode while Android home screen can only do portrait. Both can display in landscape mode for apps.

The good thing with Air Mirror is can be used with Qi charger car mount (if one exist) though need one that offers fast charging so that it can charge faster than the battery drain since the screen will always be on.

Air Mirror is also handy for pax if they want to play their music through the hu since there is no need for cable.

However, I only use Android Auto but the Air Mirror may come in handy one day if I find AA starts to have too much restriction, limitation or bugs.

Updated the firmware.

Mirror link doesn't work for IOS 11

Sorry, I'm not an iPhone user so didn't try my wife's iPhone again after updating the firmware. However, the connection switch option is still there. Not sure if need to reapply the patch or the patch needs to be updated. Not sure how or where Carbon Car Systems get the patch. I don't think my wife's iPhone has been updated to ios 11 but if you find a solution pls share here.

Sorry, I'm not an iPhone user so didn't try my wife's iPhone again after updating the firmware. However, the connection switch option is still there. Not sure if need to reapply the patch or the patch needs to be updated. Not sure how or where Carbon Car Systems get the patch. I don't think my wife's iPhone has been updated to ios 11 but if you find a solution pls share here.

Thanks for sharing

The patch was 7 months ago.

I am not too certain does it help.

The connection switch was there before even update the new firmware (20th Oct)

However I tested on a lower IOS version, it work.

Thanks for sharing

The patch was 7 months ago.

I am not too certain does it help.

The connection switch was there before even update the new firmware (20th Oct)

However I tested on a lower IOS version, it work.

Oh for mine when I bought it, connection switch was not there and I had to apply the patch on my own. Perhaps your dealer did it for you?

From this post, based on the post date which is before the latest firmware update, it seems even previous firmware also did not work for ios 11. It worked on yours?

Just checked my wife's iPhone and she has since updated to ios 11 but yet to try.

I guess we now have to push Kenwood for an updated patch for ios 11.

Btw, after the latest firmware update, gesture sensitivity option is greyed out. Anyone else can confirm it's the same for you?

I can't find the support email address to submit both above issue. Anyone knows?

i havnt even tried out the gesture thing yet .

It doesn't work for me on the ordered firmware

The beep sound is not working too?

Anyone know how to adjust the reverse camera brightness?

i havnt even tried out the gesture thing yet . 

I seldom use it too. Left and right gestures easier to detect than up and down. On the stock old firmware, the sensitivity distance can be adjusted so that the hand don't have to go so close. Now with the new firmware, sensitivity option is greyed out.

It doesn't work for me on the ordered firmware

The beep sound is not working too?

Anyone know how to adjust the reverse camera brightness?

Oh so you confirmed ios 11 also did not work on the old firmware?

Guess ios 11 was launched after the patch so a new patch will be needed and we have to bug Kenwood for it. We need to find their technical support email address.

What is the beep sound you are referring to?

I'm unable to advise if the reverse cam brightness can be adjusted independently from the main monitor brightness as mine is still not connected! My reverse cam is Toyota factory 6v one. My installer cannot find the required 12v to 6v step down converter to power it. Said most pple will change to after-market ones. But I wonder how those PI assigned installers are able to get it. Why spend additional money when the reverse cam is already there with wires already neatly pulled? I opted out from PI as I waited for this model so it was installed elsewhere. Can anyone advise where can I get the step down converter?

Oh so you confirmed ios 11 also did not work on the old firmware?

Guess ios 11 was launched after the patch so a new patch will be needed and we have to bug Kenwood for it. We need to find their technical support email address.

What is the beep sound you are referring to?

I'm unable to advise if the reverse cam brightness can be adjusted independently from the main monitor brightness as mine is still not connected! My reverse cam is Toyota factory 6v one. My installer cannot find the required 12v to 6v step down converter to power it. Said most pple will change to after-market ones. But I wonder how those PI assigned installers are able to get it. Why spend additional money when the reverse cam is already there with wires already neatly pulled? I opted out from PI as I waited for this model so it was installed elsewhere. Can anyone advise where can I get the step down converter?

IOS 11 was launched into September

Kenwood firmware was released on 20th October

The beep sound for volume up and down or change channel etc.

May I know who's your installer?

↡ Advertisement