Flyover collapses at Upper Changi, PIE

Showster

(edited)

Maybe... they will blame the rain.

Which is technically yes.

But if rain, don't pour concrete lah.

But ordered already. Mixer already on the way. How?

Ok. Ok. Pour pour. and hope the rain water wont get into it.

But will the weight change much if its wet concrete solidifying and dried concrete??  Hope the consistency of the concrete is tested (I remember in the old days they do the cone test) but Singapore with its erratic weather this kind of pouring in wet weather must have been factored by maybe putting a tarpaulin over the area so the rain dont "kachau" the drying  or curing process; but humidity cannot be changed which might be another factor

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

Wah lao eh.. This construction is never ending 1.. Previous contractor go bankrupt doing this project. Then Project cannot finish and left a standstill. Then this company came along and do also accident happen. Think they need to be more superstitious and go pray pray la.. Don't scrimp and save on these kinda ceremony. This flyover is jinxed la..

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/braddell-flyovers-completion-delayed-again

Different flyover leh.... 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Wah lao eh.. This construction is never ending 1.. Previous contractor go bankrupt doing this project. Then Project cannot finish and left a standstill. Then this company came along and do also accident happen. Think they need to be more superstitious and go pray pray la.. Don't scrimp and save on these kinda ceremony. This flyover is jinxed la..

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/braddell-flyovers-completion-delayed-again

The Braddell/Bishan flyer and bypass constructions works mentioned above is almost completed by now.

However, the latest mishap early this morning is located at Upp Changi Rd East/PIE slip road where there were 10 injured and 1 dead being reported.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Anyone still remember the sunshade in Tampines that gave way and dropped down ?

Looks like business as usual and everyone forgets.

• Praise 2

Can guess your age liao based on your account.

Haha...

But things like kitchen cooker top, wardrobe and kitchen cabinets are installed by your own contractors and not bought together with HDB as fixtures, right?

Aiyah, no need to hide lah. Attended MU so even face also showed already  [laugh]

The current place i moved to is a condo leh. All those things mentioned, all came together for the price i paid...

I still haven't mentioned all the other things that I separately paid/bought for, like the fans, lights, electrical appliances, chairs, sofas, etc. etc...

See lah, headache or not...

• Praise 1

Supersonic

The Braddell/Bishan flyer and bypass constructions works mentioned above is almost completed by now.

However, the latest mishap early this morning is located at Upp Changi Rd East/PIE slip road where there were 10 injured and 1 dead being reported.

The Braddell/Bishan flyer and bypass has completed and open to traffic.
  • Praise 3

Those who are involved in the construction industry will appreciate there is a "push" by the authorities to the construction industry to self check ownself  (that is, appoint the check and come up with a valid paper). The authorities just don't get it, in any private industry, if they can cut corners without being caught they will.

If you notice a lot of TOP are given out by the authorities even before many things are considered OK as in the past.

The Flyover collapse incident is just a taste of what is to come.

• Praise 5

Supercharged

well its not about superstitious, lowest bidder gets the price.

I think you mean lowest bidder gets the job.

But this is a big problem.

OK due dilligence should be done before giving to lowest bidder but I'd like to see figures for how many times lowest bidder doesn't get the job on major contracts.

I've been told there have been major contracts where fatalities occur and the contractor in charge has been told he will be removed from the bidding list in future but next job comes along and there he is on the list and is lowest bidder and wins contract.

Too early to apportion responsibility/blame here.

For this type of falsework the design should be checked by independent professional engineer who will have to sign it off.

And supervision of this falsework construction has to be done by enginer in charge.

Or that's how it used to be.

But accidents do happen.

(edited)

I think you mean lowest bidder gets the job.

But this is a big problem.

OK due dilligence should be done before giving to lowest bidder but I'd like to see figures for how many times lowest bidder doesn't get the job on major contracts.

I've been told there have been major contracts where fatalities occur and the contractor in charge has been told he will be removed from the bidding list in future but next job comes along and there he is on the list and is lowest bidder and wins contract.

Too early to apportion responsibility/blame here.

For this type of falsework the design should be checked by independent professional engineer who will have to sign it off.

And supervision of this falsework construction has to be done by enginer in charge.

Or that's how it used to be.

But accidents do happen.

Need Certificate of Supervison (COS) by PE before casting ...but most sites are just doing paper excercise...Risk Assessment, Tool box meeting and Permit To Work Form...all the same. I wont be surprised if PE issue COS without coming to site for inspection.

All just wayang...cos MOM themselves also wayang..

Edited by Koma7
  • Praise 3

Those who are involved in the construction industry will appreciate there is a "push" by the authorities to the construction industry to self check ownself  (that is, appoint the check and come up with a valid paper). The authorities just don't get it, in any private industry, if they can cut corners without being caught they will.

If you notice a lot of TOP are given out by the authorities even before many things are considered OK as in the past.

The Flyover collapse incident is just a taste of what is to come.

• Praise 9

This things can happen in any country ... so why the exception of Singapore??? Accidents will happen more easily especially with space constraints (though Nicoll higway one was on ground level)

See the pictures below ; the overpass crash open up like a zipper.... scary Man.... anyway this happened in India..... again it can happen anywhere ... sometime back I remember even in Korea a bridge under construction collapsed too   

post-157298-0-72421200-1500023453_thumb.jpg

post-157298-0-21322400-1500023475_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement