Road Trip to Phuket 2017

Adrianli

This is the kind of thread that makes this forum that much more special. Thanks for taking the time to document and share your awesome trip with us.

Thanks for the kind words.

Yup, I realised that there were no videos of how the border crossing was like and how to drive onto Phuket Island. So I decided to save all the video footage from my in-car camera and put it here. So others who would like to go on same trip able to visualise where they would be driving. Did take some time for me to compile but most willing to share it here. [grouphug]

My fren was asking me why I kept swapping the microSD cards in my car camera. [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hey Adrian, nice write up and glad you made the trip as per our previous discussion.

I see you went Promthep Cape and Windmill Viewpoint too. The view there is awesome. Went there during my road trip earlier this year. Can you imagine we managed to squeeze 15 cars into the small place at Windmill Viewpoint for a photoshoot.  [laugh]

By the way, the Thai 95 petrol is good. It works well even for my car tuned for ron 98, no engine knocking issue. Was worried and even brought along octane boosters but was not necessary.  [thumbsup]

• Praise 1

Hey Adrian, nice write up and glad you made the trip as per our previous discussion.

I see you went Promthep Cape and Windmill Viewpoint too. The view there is awesome. Went there during my road trip earlier this year. Can you imagine we managed to squeeze 15 cars into the small place at Windmill Viewpoint for a photoshoot.  [laugh]

By the way, the Thai 95 petrol is good. It works well even for my car tuned for ron 98, no engine knocking issue. Was worried and even brought along octane boosters but was not necessary.  [thumbsup]

Yup. Managed to go there and back in one piece. [:p]

Indeed, the views at Promthep Cape and Windmill are awesome. But this time I find the view from the big buddha was even better. It had almost 360 view of Phuket Island. I did enjoyed myself in Phuket. Basically not too much changes from when I visited 10 years ago. More PRC tourists and mandarin is catching up with those touts. [laugh] Lots of them called me 兄弟 and 老板.

• Praise 1

Yup. Managed to go there and back in one piece. [:p]

Indeed, the views at Promthep Cape and Windmill are awesome. But this time I find the view from the big buddha was even better. It had almost 360 view of Phuket Island. I did enjoyed myself in Phuket. Basically not too much changes from when I visited 10 years ago. More PRC tourists and mandarin is catching up with those touts. [laugh] Lots of them called me 兄弟 and 老板.

Patong is like chinatown now. When they see you have black hair they assume you are PRC too.  :mellow:

Hi. Wanna check how to do the exit clearance for leaving Thailand to Malaysia? So passenger and driver have to clear different counter? Please advise. I will be driving from Singapore to Phuket.

Hi. Wanna check how to do the exit clearance for leaving Thailand to Malaysia? So passenger and driver have to clear different counter? Please advise. I will be driving from Singapore to Phuket.

As u drive into the immigration, alight your passengers at the white building. Opposite of the white building is the toilet. You will not miss it.

Then you drive ahead and make U-turn. There are two counters you have to stop. First is the immigration for your passport and the second is to sign and return your car permit and passenger manifest.

Then you will be driving back to the white building to pickup your passengers. Follow the road and it leads you into Malaysia.

Have good road trip.

You also can refer to the first page. I posted the video from my in-game camera exiting Was so border. It is the white building with green colour roof.

Passengers immigration will be on your right. Toilet is on the left.

You also can refer to the first page. I posted the video from my in-game camera exiting Was so border. It is the white building with green colour roof.

Passengers immigration will be on your right. Toilet is on the left.

Thks for all the great info.  [thumbsup]

I will be driving to bangkok later this month for 2weeks holidays...my 1st roadtrip to thailand

Thks for all the great info. [thumbsup]

I will be driving to bangkok later this month for 2weeks holidays...my 1st roadtrip to thailand

Safe drive. It will be a very very long drive to Bangkok.

Look out for the TDi trucks. Just give way to them.

• Praise 1

As u drive into the immigration, alight your passengers at the white building. Opposite of the white building is the toilet. You will not miss it.

Then you drive ahead and make U-turn. There are two counters you have to stop. First is the immigration for your passport and the second is to sign and return your car permit and passenger manifest.

Then you will be driving back to the white building to pickup your passengers. Follow the road and it leads you into Malaysia.

Have good road trip.

Hi Adrianli, thank you for your advise. Will bear it in mind. Will be doing trip to Phuket this December.

Sorry for Noob, how long the time distance stop over from Singapore driving to Phuket?

I only drove up to KL several times only.

Hi Adrianli, thank you for your advise. Will bear it in mind. Will be doing trip to Phuket this December.

Sorry for Noob, how long the time distance stop over from Singapore driving to Phuket?

I only drove up to KL several times only.

The beauty of having your own road trip is you can stop when and where you want.

If you want to drive all the way there like I did previously, it's about 17 hrs of continuous driving.

Normally will stop at Ipoh, Penang or Hatyai.

• Praise 1

Thanks Bro for the heads up, will start planning hotels and stopover as i am the only driver.

The beauty of having your own road trip is you can stop when and where you want.

If you want to drive all the way there like I did previously, it's about 17 hrs of continuous driving.

Normally will stop at Ipoh, Penang or Hatyai.

Singapore to Penang is roughly twice the distance of Singapore-KL. And farther to Phuket, multiply that by two again, but driving time easily 3x due to slower roads beyond NSHW.

Singapore to Phuket is 1,300+ km drive.

Singapore to KL is 350+ km drive.

thanks for the detailed sharing! the furthest i have ever driven was to Penang. will definitely try this next time when kids are older.  [thumbsup]

Have good road trip.

actually, for the Sadao crossing back to Msia, there's no need to drop off passengers first. All just follow in the car to the "new" immigration complex. They will have to get out of the car there, together with the driver for immigration clearance. Then go forward abt 50m for customs (return the car permit).

at least, that's my experience for the few times I used the Sadao crossing. Not sure if they have made any changes since.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2