DIY steering wheel wrap - very nicely done !

carloverguy2017

Exact fit.

I ordered a wrong non-AMG one which I am selling away. Had to reorder the correct one.

you can request for them to custom for your car in whatever combination of material you like.

As long as your car is available in China, they will have the template for it.

Oic. They carry an exact wrap for the GLC AMG steering or was it a generic one?

thanks guys for sharing the pics.. [thumbsup]

It got me thinking to do this as a mini-project for my aging COE car as I need to clear some leaves this dec.

I went to TB and saw tonnes of products there.  Shortlisted a few....very cheap only $10 to 20 before shipment.

I need some advice on the material selection - 超纤皮和牛皮哪种好   https://zhidao.baidu.com/question/218163086.html

the google translation is microfibre leather vs leather  [laugh]

for $10-20 I doubt it is real leather, so should i just go for the 超纤皮?  The link above says it is more durable.

Edited by BoneStock
  • Praise 1

Basically just have to decide if you like to have full wheel man made alcantara, leather or mixture of both in different locations. 

For that price, it is not likely to be genuine leather anyway, but the feel is good compared to alot of factory steering leather wrap save for some more premium brands. 

Looks easy, is easy, but if you want to have it well stitched and tucked, you need to be meticulous. Lots of sore fingers from all the thread pulling, maintaining the tension while you thread another stitch. 

It got me thinking to do this as a mini-project for my aging COE car as I need to clear some leaves this dec.

I went to TB and saw tonnes of products there.  Shortlisted a few....very cheap only $10 to 20 before shipment.

I need some advice on the material selection - 超纤皮和牛皮哪种好   https://zhidao.baidu.com/question/218163086.html

for $10-20 I doubt it is real leather, so should i just go for the 超纤皮?  The link above says it is more durable.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

I got the cheap taobao ones. Feels much better than the stock plastic wheel in my car. And on my previous car, it lasted for 7 years till I scrapped the car so I guess its considered durable. It still looked new when I scrapped it. Not very difficult to do, just very tedious.

difficulty depends on the model and customization specific to the model.

like for the kia forte its a little tedious

I see....looks tedious indeed.   [sweatdrop]

My car's steering wheel is very similar to the VW in the video.  So I think it won't need any dismantling.

Basically just have to decide if you like to have full wheel man made alcantara, leather or mixture of both in different locations. 

For that price, it is not likely to be genuine leather anyway, but the feel is good compared to alot of factory steering leather wrap save for some more premium brands. 

Looks easy, is easy, but if you want to have it well stitched and tucked, you need to be meticulous. Lots of sore fingers from all the thread pulling, maintaining the tension while you thread another stitch. 

for me, it's down to either "fake leather" or "microfibre fake leather".  alcantara won't blend with my cheapo ride's interior.

I got the cheap taobao ones. Feels much better than the stock plastic wheel in my car. And on my previous car, it lasted for 7 years till I scrapped the car so I guess its considered durable. It still looked new when I scrapped it. Not very difficult to do, just very tedious.

ok that's good to hear.   [thumbsup]

My car has less than 4 years to go so the TB's fake leather should hold up ok....i hope.

Edited by BoneStock

Beauty of the cheap price and the fact that you can DIY.....anytime it is worn or you want a  change of design...just strip off the old one and replace yourself. :D

No need to think too much.

oops...I just read Alcantara is a kind of microfibre (超纤皮)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcantara_(material)

So I guess I better go for the normal fake leather (牛皮)

can show pics on the final completed look?

sure will find some time to do this as I just received the TB parcel yesterday.

I tried to put it on this morning just to try it out.  took quite a bit of effort as the cover seems to be a tad too small.  Oh well....will try to do it anyways.   :wacko:

↡ Advertisement