Mazda new petrol engine rivals diesel for fuel economy

Kb27

This type of engine probably prefers low octane petrol (92?). Double savings!

When everyone else go full electric, the demand for petrol will be so low and it will be dirt cheap too.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Last time they also said the new SkyActive engine technology so tok gong and much improved, in the end it was just marketing bs.

Edited by Ingenius
  • Praise 5

Last time they also said the new SkyActive engine technology so tok gong and much improved, in the end it was just marketing bs.

the only tok kong part is UBER and Grab car bought it big time.

• Praise 1

Hope this new engine tech doesn't turn out like the rotary

Mazda will have a new Turbo Charged Rotary Engine,producing 450 Bhp,in the coming RX-9..

I'll take Mazda's quoted figures w a pinch of salt.

The RX-8 I had felt slower than my SUV.....haha

• Praise 1

Only problem with rotary is the high FC and the motor oil.

RX-8 used a N/A Twin Rotors 1.3 engine,the RX-9 will use a Turbo Charged Triple Rotors 1.6 engine,i hope this car come just in time,so that i can replace my ageing Nissan 370z in 2019.

• Praise 2

Rotary engine suffers from a lack of low end torque, needs to redline to extract the power

Supercharged

I have greatest respect and some fond feelings for Mazda.... BUT

Anyone remember Mitsubishi's GDI (Gasoline Direct Injection) technology introduced in 90s? Supposed to be their next big ultra-revolutionary thing that will up-end all ICE, more power... super fuel savings blah blah blah

Turns out to be dud and in SG, anyone who bought a GDI engine car cursed and swear. High fuel consumption and maintenance issues plague most of them.

Eventually VW, the other conti makes, Toyota etc slowly introduced and perfected direct injection maybe a decade plus later.

So I take all these "revolutionary" annoucements esp from Tier2 maker with pinch of salt.... Don't get me started on another grand annoucement last decade on the BEST gearbox (D. S. G) that will end all other gearboxes.

• Praise 2

Hopefully petrol engine could be made so efficient that one single drop of petrol could last for a long long time. -:)

I hope this engine technology will evolve in using hydrogen as fuel and able to run at least 600km for a drop of compressed hydrogen liquid.

I hope this engine technology will evolve in using hydrogen as fuel and able to run at least 600km for a drop of compressed hydrogen liquid.

Hydrogen Powered Cars,BMW tried before,its 760hi,got poor mileage & power...

Nope not so far back,just the last model 7 Series,the most 6-7 years ago,not really too low power,but compared to the Petrol 760iL,the power is far away.

Japan is pushing into hydrogen power vehicle in a big way to move the car business beyond electric. They are quite ambitious of what they want to achieve. Dunno if its just pipe dreams, but it's a national push.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Only problem with rotary is the high FC and the motor oil.

You forgot shit ass reliability and you need to rebuild it 100k plus km. Hardly any will survive 200k km.

Like the other forumer said, I take 2/3 tier like Mazda claims wig a huge pinch of salt. If high petrol compression plus a supercharger is so good, how come cash rich and firms like Mercedes toyota GM do not go that way. Maybe only Mazda is clever and everyone else is dumb. Haha

• Praise 2

You forgot shit ass reliability and you need to rebuild it 100k plus km. Hardly any will survive 200k km.

Like the other forumer said, I take 2/3 tier like Mazda claims wig a huge pinch of salt. If high petrol compression plus a supercharger is so good, how come cash rich and firms like Mercedes toyota GM do not go that way. Maybe only Mazda is clever and everyone else is dumb. Haha

Maybe the engineers at Mazda are that smart. Maybe that is why Toyota is trading its hybrid technology for Mazda Skyactiv engines
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2