BPL 17/18 - The Explosive Season Begins

Picnic06-Biante15

honestly, I am pretty curious why Evans is such a hot property. He is a decent player but not sure at the level of City and Arsenal requires..

maybe there's really an acute shortage of decent CBs.. which can then also explain why VVD is 75M . 

nowadays really short of good CBs. Evans although not say very outstanding, still quite decent and stable, and most importantly proven in EPL. 

which is why i'm even more frustrated that Utd let him go... haiz... 

ya loh.

at first i thought he is english, those clubs wanna meet quota.

then i realise he is not. i think can find good def in italy easily for evans price

if i'm not wrong, Evans is considered home grown so can still meet quota... anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. 

↡ Advertisement

honestly, I am pretty curious why Evans is such a hot property. He is a decent player but not sure at the level of City and Arsenal requires..

maybe there's really an acute shortage of decent CBs.. which can then also explain why VVD is 75M . 

There is a worldwide shortage of quality CBs but for Johnny Evans, he has 2 plus factors namely,

1) He is comfortable on the ball and esp for Pep who likes CBs to play out from the back, this is an impt quality

2) He is British and so knows the game and fills the home grown quota. 

Personally, I reserve judgment on him cos whilst he is a decent CB, I'm not sure if he is top 6 club material. 

• Praise 2

ya loh.

at first i thought he is english, those clubs wanna meet quota.

then i realise he is not. i think can find good def in italy easily for evans price

Home grown in EPL means playing in England for at least 3 seasons before 21yrs old. Some foreign players like Begovic, Moses and Fabregas amongst others qualifies as home grown so not necessary must be English. Evans is considered home grown.

UCL has an even more stringent criteria. UEFA further sub divides home grown to be "real home grown" (playing 3 seasons before 21 yrs at the actual club concerned) and "associated grown" (playing 3 seasons before 21yrs in the League of the club concerned ie English League for English clubs). Needless to say a lot of clubs struggle to fill the first quota. Second quota can always buy these players like Evans. EPL doesn't insist you must be "real home grown". Hope my explanation helps.

• Praise 7

When Couti played this season Pool wins 42.9% of matches.

When Couti doesn't play Pool wins 75%

So selling him for 142m make sense.

Not many people know this.

:D

Liverpool have a win percentage of 42.9 from the 14 league matches in which Coutinho has featured, but have triumphed in 75 per cent of the eight matches the Brazilian has missed.

Read more at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/fab-three-liverpool-better-equipped-cope-coutinho-exit-after-suarez-experience#grKslmVYY88hjBI7.99

• Praise 1

There is a worldwide shortage of quality CBs but for Johnny Evans, he has 2 plus factors namely,

1) He is comfortable on the ball and esp for Pep who likes CBs to play out from the back, this is an impt quality

2) He is British and so knows the game and fills the home grown quota. 

Personally, I reserve judgment on him cos whilst he is a decent CB, I'm not sure if he is top 6 club material. 

I feel that the shortage of CB is due to change of the preferred nature of CBs.  Previously, the traditional CBs (Tony Adams, John Terry, Jaap Stam) in the EPL are those muscular and commanding types - designed to win everything in the air while imposing themselves on the opposition strikers. 

Nowadays, the more desirable CBs are those with ball playing skills, faster and a keen eye for a pass, yet also possess some form of the above traditional CB qualities.  Players like Rio Ferinard, John Stones etc probably fit into this class.  

This may explain why there is a sudden shortage as these nature of CBs are more rare.   

Evans fits into the new "desirable" CB class...  but we sometimes still rate him against the traditional view.  

good stats to comfort ourselves.  but bearing in mind that this stat is a bit skewed since he only missed a few games. and those recent games he missed, it was likely that Klopp rested him on the basis that he wasn't that required.  

• Praise 3

I feel that the shortage of CB is due to change of the preferred nature of CBs.  Previously, the traditional CBs (Tony Adams, John Terry, Jaap Stam) in the EPL are those muscular and commanding types - designed to win everything in the air while imposing themselves on the opposition strikers. 

Nowadays, the more desirable CBs are those with ball playing skills, faster and a keen eye for a pass, yet also possess some form of the above traditional CB qualities.  Players like Rio Ferinard, John Stones etc probably fit into this class.  

This may explain why there is a sudden shortage as these nature of CBs are more rare.   

Evans fits into the new "desirable" CB class...  but we sometimes still rate him against the traditional view.  

good stats to comfort ourselves.  but bearing in mind that this stat is a bit skewed since he only missed a few games. and those recent games he missed, it was likely that Klopp rested him on the basis that he wasn't that required.  

actually john terry is very good with the ball.  :D

really? I didn't really readily associate him as a ball-playing CB.  

The last Pool defender good with the ball at feet is probable Daniel Agger.  

Sup people, Arsenal fan here. As much as I want a new CB for our defense, not sure how I feel about Evans. He's good but I think he doesn't possess that oomph that the Arsenal defense need. Of course we get what we can and he's the best on the market right now. Got a feeling that he ends up in City anyway  [:|]

He's probably rested for games where he wasn't required. Mostly against small clubs where wins are almost guaranteed. Liverpool ought to use that money on a better GK though.

• Praise 2

in the past do have those defender that can play a pass. Lebouef came into mind. he can really spray passes......blanc ,  the portugese guy (forget the name, used to play for chelsea) and the mexican captain..... ,maquez also can play passing well.

• Praise 1

in the past do have those defender that can play a pass. Lebouef came into mind. he can really spray passes......blanc ,  the portugese guy (forget the name, used to play for chelsea) and the mexican captain..... ,maquez also can play passing well.

which one, Ricardo Carvalho or Paulo Ferreira? i think both were good... 

• Praise 1

Did you mean the football, or his balls?

Wayne Bridge (whose ball playing skills is not bad) definitely has an opinion on this  [laugh]

• Praise 3

Wayne Bridge (whose ball playing skills is not bad) definitely has an opinion on this  [laugh]

Hah good one. The feud between them brings back memories lol.

i watch him since he join chelsea, 

he is not those typical duck leg english defender

as good as stone. his long ball quite accurate also.

but cannot compare to how wing back dribble, 

dribble on the flank is totally different from bring out the ball in the middle

• Praise 1

John Terry? sorry I really dun remember him doing much dribble or ball-playing.  efficient passes out of defence yes. Long-ball accuracy, average bah.  

I remember him as a good defender who commanded the defence well. Not exceptionally tall, but somehow he often won most headers. Could read the game pretty well, and was decently confident on the ball (e.g. more so than Carragher, but less than, say, the Germans, Italians and Brazilians)...

I also don't remember long balls leh. I tot he will pass to Makelele to pass to Robben/Lampard/Duff...

• Praise 2

I remember him as a good defender who commanded the defence well. Not exceptionally tall, but somehow he often won most headers. Could read the game pretty well, and was decently confident on the ball (e.g. more so than Carragher, but less than, say, the Germans, Italians and Brazilians)...

I also don't remember long balls leh. I tot he will pass to Makelele to pass to Robben/Lampard/Duff...

no need to be tall to win all headers. Timing and tactical positioning are very important too. Having said so, it makes winning headers easier when you are peter couch or andy carroll.  

John Terry belongs to those traditional english CBs.. mentioned in the same breadth as Tony Adams, Steve Bough etc.  Dun like his face but can't deny that he is very good and it took Chelsea a long time to realise that his best days are abit behind him. 

↡ Advertisement