Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic | 20 praises

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:59 PM

Philipkee
  • Philipkee
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

A few months ago I got this manual accent. No issues with it except for this. Occasionally I cannot engage the first gear or the reverse gear from neutral gear. This happens when my car is stationary.

So far no major issue with this except late moving off from traffic light or a bit delayed in reverse parking. I checked with the AD during my 1000 km and 5000 km check and they say nothing wrong and maybe it's how I stepped on my clutch.

The thing is, this failure to engage still happens once in a while and in my car park i ever tried to replicate this by changing gear with my clutch not fully depressed half depressed and so on but not able to replicate the failure to engage. So I don't know if it's my fault or there is something wrong with transmission fluid or so on....

So I wondering if anyone ever faced this before and what was the cause. AD say nothing wrong with gear box. I ever thought of going to an external workshop if it happens again but I worry I kenna chopped carrot.

Edited by Lightsabre, 14 August 2017 - 09:04 AM.

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

Stratovarius
  • Premium member
    Stratovarius
    6th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

I had it sometimes, mainly for 1st and reverse too. I normally release and engage the clutch again as remedy and normally will not take more than a couple of tries. I wasn't too worried as my 2 to 5 is still very smooth. 1st and reverse is the hardest to engage. 

Not sure of the cause. Might be the clutch (was on racing clutch) or the cogs as i normally pa reverse when the car is moving. i know it's not good for the gears but it's just cooler. lol.

If your gb is okay, have the mechanic to check on the clutch or the master cylinder. if it's a master cylinder, the clutch pedal will feel spongy, its quite hard to miss. I would say just continue to monitor the situation, if it gets worse, have someone to do a thorough check.  

Philipkee praised this

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:33 PM

Beregond
  • Beregond
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

A few months ago I got this manual accent. No issues with it except for this. Occasionally I cannot engage the first gear or the reverse gear from neutral gear. This happens when my car is stationary.

So far no major issue with this except late moving off from traffic light or a bit delayed in reverse parking. I checked with the AD during my 1000 km and 5000 km check and they say nothing wrong and maybe it's how I stepped on my clutch.

The thing is, this failure to engage still happens once in a while and in my car park i ever tried to replicate this by changing gear with my clutch not fully depressed half depressed and so on but not able to replicate the failure to engage. So I don't know if it's my fault or there is something wrong with transmission fluid or so on....

So I wondering if anyone ever faced this before and what was the cause. AD say nothing wrong with gear box. I ever thought of going to an external workshop if it happens again but I worry I kenna chopped carrot.

not sure yours is clutch pump or the old type clutch cable.

my lorry if got this issue, normally is clutch pump fail or leaking,

or clutch fluid too low.

if the old type run by clutch cable , then just replace cable.

if on and off got the problem, then could be just your habit, never step the clutch fully before engaging.

Edited by Beregond, 11 August 2017 - 05:35 PM.

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

Xanavi
  • Premium member
    Xanavi
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Change clutch. I am serious. It is the clutch
發啊!

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:54 PM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

If it happens again, pump the clutch a few times first. Then see if the gear can engage.

There may be air bubbles in the hydraulic clutch line or a leak which lets air bubble in.

Beregond praised this

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:55 PM

Desrongrong
  • Premium member
    Desrongrong
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

is your reverse gear on the left of 1st gear ? ie. you have to pull up then can go into reverse ?

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:59 PM

Philipkee
  • Philipkee
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

is your reverse gear on the left of 1st gear ? ie. you have to pull up then can go into reverse ?

Yes. So it is

R 1 3 5
X 2 4 6

Ignore the x cos when I posted it without the X the 2 appears under R.

Edited by Philipkee, 11 August 2017 - 06:01 PM.

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:09 PM

Desrongrong
  • Premium member
    Desrongrong
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Yes. So it is

R 1 3 5
X 2 4 6

Ignore the x cos when I posted it without the X the 2 appears under R.

it could be the spring not fully released . there is a "catch" between "r" and "1st" , the spring is to push the "catch" back after u pull up shift to "r" .... as such if the spring doesn't "spring" back fully the "catch" will be caught in the middle of the ( i don't what that thing its call , its just a "wall" between the "r" n "1st" ) . i hope you can understand what i am trying to say. if not just un-screw the gear knob and remove the "shift boot" and u will understand.

my gear box is also design like this with "r" on the left of "1st" . i changed my own shift boot so i open it up and seen it . becareful don't lose the spring when u un-screw the knob

Philipkee and Jamesc praised this

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:53 PM

StreamRSZ
  • Premium member
    StreamRSZ
    5th Gear
    Author Image

check the slave and master clutch pump. unlikely is the clutch disc worn out. been driving manual cars 10 over years. this is sign of failng clutch pump.

Edited by StreamRSZ, 11 August 2017 - 09:53 PM.

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:20 AM

merc280v6
  • merc280v6
    5th Gear
    Author Image

How old is your Accent?
I had driven a VW (not Beetle) manual for 7 years in the past without any issues.

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:45 AM

merc280v6
  • merc280v6
    5th Gear
    Author Image

For the last Accent model (year of manufacture ending 2016), many had (forgetfully) tried to engage reverse gear by first pulling up the gear latch, then moving the gear stick backward (toward the driver), instead of pushing the gear stick forward.

😂😂😂

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:58 AM

Club21z
  • Premium member
    Club21z
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Sometimes at a slope is harder to engage from neutral to gear 1. I also encounter before nothing to worry about.

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:01 PM

Luckcent
  • Premium member
    Luckcent
    6th Gear
    Author Image

The gear box needs to service. I think if not wrong , will be the synchromesh. Just google to fing out more. This synchromesh is to align the cogs to enable free entry. (No pun intended)

==================================================

Failure is not defeat unless you stop trying

==================================================

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:15 PM

carloverguy2017
  • carloverguy2017
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Its the syncro problem.

Only forward gear have syncros.. reverse gear have no syncros.

So typically it is normal that to shift into reverse, sometimes cannot engage, even in new cars.

But if you encounter the same meshing problem when going into forward gear, then usually it meant syncros are bad already.

But you can go the first cheaper method by changing the gear box oil first because it is so cheap, most people didn't do this step first.

Changing to fresh oil may reduce syncros issue a little.

If still same, then need to service gear box.

But the fortunate side of us driving manual gear box is, especially Korean or Japanese model is that GB service is very very cheap.

It's not my fault

Back to Maintenance & Repairs  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic
Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by babyjyo  |  1st Gear

Mechanics at DM are seen to love their job and are dedicated to do their job properly. This results to quality workmanship each time.

Ace Motorsports Pte Ltd

Ace Motorsports Pte Ltd  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by HuiChen  |  Neutral Newbie

Friendly and good service to the customer

Related Motor Directory search on sgCarMart.com : Transmission & Gearbox

Quick Reply

Tags: hyundai, manual, car, gear and 3 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users