Manual gear cannot engage

Philipkee

check your master clutch and slave cylinder pump first. it could be these 2 faulty. Usually the cause is leakage due to wear and tear of the seals or also sludge deposit built up causing the oil fluid jam hence unable to engage.

i replaced both of them when i replaced the clutch a few years back, so i suspect the issue is related to the gearbox.

↡ Advertisement

Philipkee,

did you manage to get it resolved? What was the issue? Having a similar issue with my veh currently; set up is slightly different though - reverse is same position as gear 1 but with the need to lift the ring.

(edited)

Philipkee,

did you manage to get it resolved? What was the issue? Having a similar issue with my veh currently; set up is slightly different though - reverse is same position as gear 1 but with the need to lift the ring.

Mostly. What I do realise is thus when I did some experimentation.

Gear is like this

RI1I3I5

XI2I4I6

Previously I drew the gear like this

R 1 3 5

X 2 4 6

The difference between the two drawings is the I between the gears. Cos when I cannot engage, I used to push harder or release a bit and push again. Now I realise if when in my initial push to let's say gear 1, my gear stick is on the right side of the I to the left of gear 3, no matter how I try to push to gear 1, it will not happen because there is a barrier.

So what I have to do is release the gear back to neutral (no half release ) and "meditate " and try again. What I used to do is try to go to gear 1 "diagonally" from neutral. Now I make a conscious effort to shift it straight to the left, then push forward to gear 1. No more trying to shift gears "diagonally ". Release to neutral, followed by a left or right AND THEN up or down. Unless it's straight motion like gear 3-4.

Edited by Philipkee

ah, ok. thank you! Looks like ours is a different issue then - i already do try to ensure that I 'palm' the gear stick to the correct direction first before engaging. Will get it checked out the next round and report in if something is found - i hope not though!

Neutral Newbie

i like driving manual car and encounter gear engage twice , only can change to gear 1 or 2 and its stuck

its like hell  happened in middle of congestion. [dead] For my history its main problem is i suggest u need to change

clutch pumps top n bottom its not that expensive

mainly the mech ll said ur main clutch disk worn out this will take a long hr to repair need to open

up the engine parts and costly too.

Hints if u find ur gear getting to hardly engage my advise u better start chg both clutch pumps. [:p]  [:p]  [:p]

• Praise 1

A few months ago I got this manual accent. No issues with it except for this. Occasionally I cannot engage the first gear or the reverse gear from neutral gear. This happens when my car is stationary.

So far no major issue with this except late moving off from traffic light or a bit delayed in reverse parking. I checked with the AD during my 1000 km and 5000 km check and they say nothing wrong and maybe it's how I stepped on my clutch.

The thing is, this failure to engage still happens once in a while and in my car park i ever tried to replicate this by changing gear with my clutch not fully depressed half depressed and so on but not able to replicate the failure to engage. So I don't know if it's my fault or there is something wrong with transmission fluid or so on....

So I wondering if anyone ever faced this before and what was the cause. AD say nothing wrong with gear box. I ever thought of going to an external workshop if it happens again but I worry I kenna chopped carrot.

Do not trust the AD which I assume is komoco. Their diagnostics/remedy skills are mediocre.

↡ Advertisement