Best Value Compact SUV

fungyee77

But even the XT, I think omv is about 19k..

So probably depreciation is about 11.6k per year

Let's say depreciation for a Harrier is about 13.4k per year base 150k with an omv of 32k

So difference is about 1.8k per year

With the high FC + maintenance cost of the XT.. probably will set you back 1-2k more per year (could be even more) as compare to the FC + maintanence cost of a Harrier.  I assume both insurance cost is the same.

So in the end is about the same.

Just my opinion.

The interior of FXT versus Harrier - Harrier trumps FXT I'm afraid.

↡ Advertisement

Not only the interior.  Actually there are many SUV out there.. the exterior alone already trumps FXT.. 

true that. Back to topic, i wonder what did TS choose in the end?

But even the XT, I think omv is about 19k..

So probably depreciation is about 11.6k per year

Let's say depreciation for a Harrier is about 13.4k per year base 150k with an omv of 32k

So difference is about 1.8k per year

With the high FC + maintenance cost of the XT.. probably will set you back 1-2k more per year (could be even more) as compare to the FC + maintanence cost of a Harrier.  I assume both insurance cost is the same.

So in the end is about the same.

Just my opinion.

I think the resale value of Harrier is also better than XT...

true that. Back to topic, i wonder what did TS choose in the end?

None actually. I bought a Sorento a while back.

Through that exercise, I realized that Singapore prices are quite out of line with most major markets globally.

Was just playing around with the numbers for the Compact SUV segment, and thought I'd share the findings given the popularity of the segment.

Hypothetically, if I were shopping for a 5 seater in that segment, I would probably go for the Forester XT or Harrier, with Tiguan next. For a 7 seater, probably the X-Trail. If the CR-V was $15-20k cheaper, it would be the #1 choice.

Edited by Fungyee77

None actually. I bought a Sorento a while back.

Through that exercise, I realized that Singapore prices are quite out of line with most major markets globally.

Was just playing around with the numbers for the Compact SUV segment, and thought I'd share the findings given the popularity of the segment.

Hypothetically, if I were shopping for a 5 seater in that segment, I would probably go for the Forester XT or Harrier, with Tiguan next. For a 7 seater, probably the X-Trail. If the CR-V was $15-20k cheaper, it would be the #1 choice.

Have u driven the X-Trail?

Yup, no power but has everything else in spades. X-Trail will be very much a head over heart decision.

But X-Trail is not a full-size 7-seater SUV like the Sorento.

The 3rd roll is only suitable for kids or ppl with the height of about 1.4m & below

Edited by Toomuchtorque

Forester (non XT) is not at the same level compared to Harrier/CX5..

OMV is also much lower.

20-30k cheaper is correct..

And at the end of the day, actually nothing $much$ to offset after factor in high FC & maintenance cost (I'm not sure about the insurance cost)

XT is around 124k, Non XT is around 108k. Harrier/CX5 should be around 15X

different folks different strokes. Insurance for me is 1.4k with 20% NCD, less than 30yo which i think is quite normal.

In the first place actually I'm comparing at the non-XT (108k?) vs the non-turbo Harrier (135k?)

You are comparing at the XT (124k) vs Harrier turbo version (150k)

Neither way is the same as the difference is still ard 25-29k

Edited by Toomuchtorque

But X-Trail is not a full-size 7-seater SUV like the Sorento.

The 3rd roll is only suitable for kids or ppl with the height of about 1.4m & below

Yes, the Sorento would be classified as a [smaller] mid-sized SUV in the US, and [smaller] large SUV in most other countries. 

X-Trail's 3rd row is for kids, but that's no different to other 7-seaters in the Compact SUV segment like the CR-V and the Outlander.

Practical considerations aside, I think the seats of the X-Trail are probably the most comfortable in its class, [in my view] better than that of my top 3 choices Harrier, Forester and Tiguan. 

Practical considerations aside, I think the seats of the X-Trail are probably the most comfortable in its class, [in my view] better than that of my top 3 choices Harrier, Forester and Tiguan.

Yes, except for the 3rd.. IMO, the seaters of the 1st & 2nd roll of the X-Trail are very comfortable..

Supersonic

Amazing times we live in, no? And the 5008 doesn't even come with a 4WD option...

Funny thing is that the Peugeot 3008 and 5008 were MPV models before they are changed to SUV models for their current generation.  [dead]