Where have the mid sized sedans gone

wpy

The scene here does not benefit the high cc cars like Camry, Accord, Teana etc... The trend now is turbo cars to reduce road tax. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I personally dont understand what is the purpose of driving a mid sized sedans like camry, mz6, accord or teana lo?! If in terms of spacious, dont find it very much bigger than sedan like altis, sylphy or mz3 le, and yet buy much more?! Lol.

Its is definitely much spacious n has a more luxurious interior

The difference is very noticeable

• Praise 4

I personally dont understand what is the purpose of driving a mid sized sedans like camry, mz6, accord or teana lo?! If in terms of spacious, dont find it very much bigger than sedan like altis, sylphy or mz3 le, and yet buy much more?! Lol.

For the your mention Japanese mid size saloon, try sit 3 person behind and compare to Altis or mz3. And see is it much spacious. 

Space is not just about only leg room, also need to consider the shoulder to shoulder.

• Praise 3

Agree. Mazda6 and Mazda3, big difference. Interior quality, ride comfort, noise, the bigger car is a lot better. Same with Camry and Altis.

cost is also more than 30%. then you start to compare with luxury and find the difference and so on. hahaha

Moving up to the next class of car not just buys extra space but extra refinement too.
  • Praise 2

The scene here does not benefit the high cc cars like Camry, Accord, Teana etc... The trend now is turbo cars to reduce road tax. 

You're probably right about turbo cars becoming the trend, but from what I can tell, the mid-sized japanese/korean NA sedans (Camry, Accord, Legacy Teana, Sonata, Optima ) fill a significant niche in terms of size, price, comfort, and (perceived reliability). A niche that is mostly void without them.

Most turbo sedans, as far as i can tell, which are 1.6l  and below (hence offering a reduced road tax from the 2/2.5l NA jap cars) , tend to be on the smaller side, and don't provide the amount of space and/or value-price of the jap mid sized sedans. Examples would include Mercedes range of CLAs, Volvo's S60 etc.   The exception would be the Peugeot 508 (1.6 turbo) and possibly the Passat 1.8turbo. Opel Insignia is also coming out with a new model later this year that's 1.5/1.6 turbo. However, these cars have, generally speaking, never been very well received by the Singapore market. 

Similarly, if you're talking about 2 litre mid-sized turbo sedans, I cant think of one that can be had for anywhere close to the price of a mid sized NA japanese/korean car (ie125-140k range).  For this, you'd have to pay a premium  of at least 50%.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

You're probably right about turbo cars becoming the trend, but from what I can tell, the mid-sized japanese/korean NA sedans (Camry, Accord, Legacy Teana, Sonata, Optima ) fill a significant niche in terms of size, price, comfort, and (perceived reliability). A niche that is mostly void without them.

Most turbo sedans, as far as i can tell, which are 1.6l  and below (hence offering a reduced road tax from the 2/2.5l NA jap cars) , tend to be on the smaller side, and don't provide the amount of space and/or value-price of the jap mid sized sedans. Examples would include Mercedes range of CLAs, Volvo's S60 etc.   The exception would be the Peugeot 508 (1.6 turbo) and possibly the Passat 1.8turbo. Opel Insignia is also coming out with a new model later this year that's 1.5/1.6 turbo. However, these cars have, generally speaking, never been very well received by the Singapore market. 

Similarly, if you're talking about 2 litre mid-sized turbo sedans, I cant think of one that can be had for anywhere close to the price of a mid sized NA japanese/korean car (ie125-140k range).  For this, you'd have to pay a premium  of at least 50%.

Singaporeans scared of turbo, believe it is high consumption, unreliable, they want japanese reliability, etc., but now we have the Turbo Harrier and that is flying like the hawk it's named after..

All contis now are turbocharged by now, if you want a small displacement D-seg sedan, well you missed the 1.5L Mondeo.

Most people don't like the idea of a small displacement mid-size car, they expect it to be underpowered.

And contis will be unlikely to offer the same "value-price" as jap, they come from further away and tend to offer more technology onboard - look at the Opel Astra. Cannot compare it to a Mazda 3 hatch when the former has radar and LKAS systems for example.

Many of the contis are in the premium brands; BMW, Audi, Merc, all considered atas, will never price down. CLA doesn't care about getting you space, it is about being "stylish". It is not targeting a Honda City buyer who wants Camry legroom in a subcompact.

Consider stuff such as power, panache, presence and other silly things like imperiousness, refinement and equipment levels.

Sure a Honda City may feel like got more legroom than the old Camry, but the Camry is vastly more enjoyable to be in comfortwise

Larger cars tend to have more advanced suspension as well

Edited by 7hm
  • Praise 2

If that's right, then that's a real pity. I actually find the generally softer ride and handling of a sedan more to my liking than an SUV.  I guess that would put me in the minority these days then.  :beaten:

Actually, some SUV's have even more softer rides than sedans - e.g. previous Subaru XV model was soft enough so that can run over rough kampung roads at high speed and cabin will be quite comfortable - a.k.a. it was sort of cross-country rally cum comfort tuned. (Have not tested new XV model but suspect it would be same). 

A few of the SUVs also handle more towards sedan type of handling, e.g Mazda's, Subarus etc.

• Praise 1

Actually, some SUV's have even more softer rides than sedans - e.g. previous Subaru XV model was soft enough so that can run over rough kampung roads at high speed and cabin will be quite comfortable - a.k.a. it was sort of cross-country rally cum comfort tuned. (Have not tested new XV model but suspect it would be same). 

A few of the SUVs also handle more towards sedan type of handling, e.g Mazda's, Subarus etc.

I've never tried the XV, so I can't  comment on the ride, but I have tried the Forester and it does have a pretty comfortable ride. On the other hand, i found the Legacy to be more comfortable than its SUV cousin, the Outback for city driving. I think Subaru SUVs tend to handle very well, and perhaps it has to do with their boxer engines, which sit lower than inline engines, giving them more stability. I think that's a real plus point for their SUVs, and of course their AWD.  One of the disadvantages I find though, in general, about driving SUVs in the city, with their high centre of gravity, is that we tend to make more sharp turns and u-turns in our daily driving. I think Sedans tend to perform better under those conditions.

• Praise 1

Ah Pek move to SUV... getting in and out is so much easier..

Old bones difficult to bend liao.....

SUV just nice, slip in and out...no need to bend back at all.

I like it.....

Somehow I don't think the introduction of the Harrier is the reason the Camry is not currently being sold. Even if the SUV is seemingly more popular, I believe it caters to a different segment of car owners. Perhaps there would be some cannibilization, but enough for them to stop selling the Camry altogether? I'm not so sure. Someone else pointed out about the current md sized sedans not meeting the euro vi compliance standard sounds more plausible, I think.

I believe it is because most of the mid size sedans are not euro six compliance to meet the September regulation, so most dealers stopped selling them until their new models with euro six compliance engines come in. 

• Praise 1

I believe it is because most of the mid size sedans are not euro six compliance to meet the September regulation, so most dealers stopped selling them until their new models with euro six compliance engines come in. 

world wide, the SUVs are reigning supreme, so the car manufacturers are more interested in renewing the SUV line up first then their mid sized sedans.

So just that it coincided here with the new regulations, so all the newer models aren't really out yet whereas the harrier turbo, CRV, cx-5 all have arrived. Tucson, sportage and the other makes have been here since 2015/2016.

• Praise 1

Its is definitely much spacious n has a more luxurious interior

The difference is very noticeable

chief considering simi new car?

peasant kah kia give you moral support to buy...yolo!

:D  

Has anyone noticed that all the mid-sized Korean and Japanese sedans no longer seem to be available. Camry, Accord, Teana, Legacy, Sonata, Optima are no longer available in showrooms. They're mostly not even listed for sale either by ADs in SG carmart . The Mazda 6 seems to be the only mid-sized Japanese sedan that's available now. Anyone know if, and when, any of these cars will be back in our showrooms soon? 2018 models?

The mid size sedan market has always been dominated by the Camry and the new one will be coming in at the end of year.
  • Praise 1

chief considering simi new car?

peasant kah kia give you moral support to buy...yolo!

:D

Not spending on chia leh, bo hua de, everyday fetch colleagues for lunch like ah mat still wanna buy new chia

• Praise 13

Not spending on chia leh, bo hua de, everyday fetch colleagues for lunch like ah mat still wanna buy new chia ð

wah you work in tuas is it?

i remember last time work in tuas everyday must drive out to eat one if miss the pre order for ah gong supplied daily lunch

come fetch 165kg peasant kah kia...confirm won't treat you like ah mat

Turbocharged

wah you work in tuas is it?

i remember last time work in tuas everyday must drive out to eat one if miss the pre order for ah gong supplied daily lunch

come fetch 165kg peasant kah kia...confirm won't treat you like ah mat

• Praise 1

165kg I think I must put you in the trunk seat with a mattress... :shy:

thanks... you are the first one who say will fetch me in your car albeit in the trunk

other mcfers outright reject me saying i will spoil their shock absorbers

↡ Advertisement