UCL 17/18 : The European Elite Football Clubs

Picnic06-Biante15

Wahhhhhhhhhh............. former Pool manager BR scored big ( 5 - 0 ) with his team. :wut:

ESPN :

Celtic confidently planted one foot into the Champions League group stages with a 5-0 thumping of Astana in the first leg of their play-off at Parkhead.

:XD:

Frankly speaking, the teams in the Champions route of the play offs are much weaker than those in the League route.

At my amateurish level, I can only see problems with Pool's midfield. Experts can point out exactly the reason why.

Jordan Henderson and the Liverpool Midfield

Recommended read for all who are into the tactical side of things.

While i'm no expert, i've for a very long time said that Hendo cannot really make it lah. I had hoped for an upgrade on both Hendo and Milner. They are both regular 7-pointers, and we need those who can get 8 and sometimes 9 points for their positions...

I hope Klopp sees it too..

Pot 1 and 2 are set.

Pool (if overcome Hoffenheim tonight) and Spurs will be in Pot 3.

Quite a number of potential group of death in the making.

post-10806-0-65711200-1503461462_thumb.jpg

Edited by Osprey23

Pool started the game brightly. Not surprising that Klopp still goes for the offensive as i don't think he knows how to set up his team to defend a 2-1 aggregate for 90 min.

Pool could have been 2-0 up inside 5 minutes if Mane and Salah took their early chances. Can's runs from midfield were twice not picked up and he duly punished them.

Salah's quick reaction to pounce on Gini's shot that hit the post in between between Can's goals gave Pool a 3-0 for the night.

Could have defended better for their goal but I don't think I want to complain too much :)

Pool likely to continue with their approach in the second half. Tactical change likely to come with subs. Using the fast wingers to stretch the play is very effective against a side who will need to push men forward in search of goals.

As for Hoffenheim, not sure if Julian would want to take more risks. They need to score at least 3 goals to win this

• Praise 1

They need to score 4 now in less than 30min.

Julian used up all his subs.

Klopp get in Gomez to replace TAA, possibly to take a more defensive stance on the right flank.

UCL pots for this evening's draw, Pot 2 looks extremely frightening as many strong teams in it.

Don't quite understand how come Ukrainian League is considered amongst the 8 best Leagues in Europe but I suppose the other Leagues left are no better?

I never heard of Qarabag n just googled that they are from Azerbaijan n kudos to them for making this far but I hope not so many one sided games as in previous group stages as it devalues the competition but I can understand UEFA wanting to give everyone a chance to compete in the UCL n not just the usual suspects n to be fair Qarabag qualified from the 2nd qualifying round so they are there on merit.

post-48108-0-00310000-1503527660_thumb.png

• Praise 7

UCL pots for this evening's draw, Pot 2 looks extremely frightening as many strong teams in it.

Don't quite understand how come Ukrainian League is considered amongst the 8 best Leagues in Europe but I suppose the other Leagues left are no better?

I never heard of Qarabag n just googled that they are from Azerbaijan n kudos to them for making this far but I hope not so many one sided games as in previous group stages as it devalues the competition but I can understand UEFA wanting to give everyone a chance to compete in the UCL n not just the usual suspects n to be fair Qarabag qualified from the 2nd qualifying round so they are there on merit.

Pot 2 on average is stronger than pot 1. That said, I still support UEFA's decision to group the Champions of the top 8 European leagues in Pot 1 regardless of coefficient.

Getting out of group stage is not going to be easy. Luck in the draw will play a major part.

• Praise 1

Pot 2 on average is stronger than pot 1. That said, I still support UEFA's decision to group the Champions of the top 8 European leagues in Pot 1 regardless of coefficient.

Getting out of group stage is not going to be easy. Luck in the draw will play a major part.

Ya agreed on the Pot 1 allocations of Champions though I'm not too sure if Ukraine League is amongst the top 8 but then again I can't really name another country's league being better than them though arguably Dutch league?

Besides Pot 2, there are also some strong teams in Pot 3 and Leipzig I suppose is the dangerous team in Pot 4 so i look forward to tonite's draw n some cracking games ahead!!

• Praise 7

Well said, i agree too, it allows for very interesting draws in the group stage

lots of Group of Death possibilities

↡ Advertisement