UCL 17/18 : The European Elite Football Clubs

Picnic06-Biante15

He is injured.

Real back problem not Barca chasing him back problem.

:D

Barca back problem can be quite serious

I think clyne prob return to the team earlier than Pc

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Spurs finally won at wembley.

Allowed dortmund to dominate pocession and counter them. Play abeit like away side...

Finally broke the curse. Now maintain unbeaten at wembley pls spurs

UCL this week again with some top games notably Ath Madrid v Chelsea n Dortmund v Real amongst others.

Pool unleashing their fabulous four attack in Russia which is frightening offensively but the other 2 MFs need to be defensively disciplined, keep their shape to protect their defence. I'm in 2 minds on this cos whilst the firepower is awesome, not sure if this will put pressure on the already low in confidence defence? We shall see.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/09/25/liverpool-boss-jurgen-klopp-considers-unleashing-fab-four-spartak/

• Praise 6

UCL this week again with some top games notably Ath Madrid v Chelsea n Dortmund v Real amongst others.

Pool unleashing their fabulous four attack in Russia which is frightening offensively but the other 2 MFs need to be defensively disciplined, keep their shape to protect their defence. I'm in 2 minds on this cos whilst the firepower is awesome, not sure if this will put pressure on the already low in confidence defence? We shall see.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/09/25/liverpool-boss-jurgen-klopp-considers-unleashing-fab-four-spartak/

Let Mane, Phil, Sala and Firmino do their job. Henderson must be discipline to break up any attack. i.e. protect the defenders.

As long as they take their chances well, it shld be a win

Pool needs to be 4-0 up to secure a win

• Praise 1

Let Mane, Phil, Sala and Firmino do their job. Henderson must be discipline to break up any attack. i.e. protect the defenders.

Actually Pool can do with a Kante type of player which they will get in Keita next year but then again Keita seems more box to box than a pure DM which requires positional discipline n good reading of the game. Neither Henderson, Can nor Widjnauldum is a pure DM n Klopp also doesn't seem to fancy a pure DM from what I see.

• Praise 6

Hendo can’t protect bro. His job there mainly is to recycle the ball and switch the play.

Can only hope to have Can in there alongside him to provide more steel in the midfield.

Key for Pool is on the wings. Hearing the opponent’s fullbacks are quite slow.

Actually Pool can do with a Kante type of player which they will get in Keita next year but then again Keita seems more box to box than a pure DM which requires positional discipline n good reading of the game. Neither Henderson, Can nor Widjnauldum is a pure DM n Klopp also doesn't seem to fancy a pure DM from what I see.

Seems to me that Klopp does not believe that such a destroyer type DM suits a 4-3-3.

Keita you are right is neither a DM but a B2B. Only chance to see Pool going for a pure destroyer type DM would probably be when Klopp decides to go 4-2-3-1. Current batch of players, still 4-3-3 to make use of Firmino as the F9 and Coutinho as the 8.

Spartak played a very typical counter attacking style and earned themselves a point against Pool. One attempt in the first half from a direct freekicks got them the goal.

Pool defense doesn’t really have much to do as Spartak create very little. Pool though created enough, didn’t take their chance. 4 on 2 break you can’t score, you don’t deserve to win. Credit to Spartak’s keeper and defense though, played very well.

• Praise 1

Spartak played a very typical counter attacking style and earned themselves a point against Pool. One attempt in the first half from a direct freekicks got them the goal.

Pool defense doesn’t really have much to do as Spartak create very little. Pool though created enough, didn’t take their chance. 4 on 2 break you can’t score, you don’t deserve to win. Credit to Spartak’s keeper and defense though, played very well.

cannot agree with Klopp's insistence to rotate GKs. You can do that provided you have 2 very good GKs. In pool's current situation, you can argue that none of the GKs are good enough for a top club.  In this instance, you should play your hand and use the best GK in the squad.  While Mingolet is nowhere good enough for Pool, he is certainly an upgrade over Karius.  

Klopp's confidence in Karius is baffling. Last season and current season so far, he hardly shows any signs that he has the potential to become the 1st team GK Pool needs. He was beaten by a direct freekick not too near the corner of the goal at all. That was the only save he has to make for the whole of 1st half, and he was still beaten. 

When pool starts conceding silly goals like this, it then puts undue pressure on the frontline to deliver and score more than conceding. Pool's forwards have so many chances to put the game away but only put 1 in the net.  

after 2 games, Pool should rightfully have 6 points on the board. Instead, it only has 2 and this increases the pressure on the team to win the remaining games.  When rotating players, you'll need to ensure survival/progress first before tinkering with the lineup to satisfy players' need for game time.  

• Praise 1

cannot agree with Klopp's insistence to rotate GKs. You can do that provided you have 2 very good GKs. In pool's current situation, you can argue that none of the GKs are good enough for a top club. In this instance, you should play your hand and use the best GK in the squad. While Mingolet is nowhere good enough for Pool, he is certainly an upgrade over Karius.

Klopp's confidence in Karius is baffling. Last season and current season so far, he hardly shows any signs that he has the potential to become the 1st team GK Pool needs. He was beaten by a direct freekick not too near the corner of the goal at all. That was the only save he has to make for the whole of 1st half, and he was still beaten.

When pool starts conceding silly goals like this, it then puts undue pressure on the frontline to deliver and score more than conceding. Pool's forwards have so many chances to put the game away but only put 1 in the net.

after 2 games, Pool should rightfully have 6 points on the board. Instead, it only has 2 and this increases the pressure on the team to win the remaining games. When rotating players, you'll need to ensure survival/progress first before tinkering with the lineup to satisfy players' need for game time.

Klopp is a developing coach. He sees potential and tries to get it out from his players.

In terms of GK situation, this is not ideal but I understand why Klopp is risking that. I have read somewhere before, based on the difficulty of shot faced and saved percentage, Karius is actually better than Migs. There is potential in Karius to get better but not much in Migs. However, if you don’t play Karius, he will never be able to improve.

I beg to differ on the freekick last night. Yes, placement wise, it is not fantastic but you have to look at the pace of the ball. Keeper can only see and judge the flight after it clears the wall. Some keepers might not even react in time to make a dive.

Karius did not start his Liverpool career well with high profile mistakes and was dropped. Klopp likely to give him chance to redeem, hence the decision to rotate keepers.

We drew with Sevilla because of individual error - Lovren. We drew with Spartak because of attackers kept missing sitters. Whoever we placed between the posts for that two games, results likely to be the same.

Klopp is a developing coach. He sees potential and tries to get it out from his players.

In terms of GK situation, this is not ideal but I understand why Klopp is risking that. I have read somewhere before, based on the difficulty of shot faced and saved percentage, Karius is actually better than Migs. There is potential in Karius to get better but not much in Migs. However, if you don’t play Karius, he will never be able to improve.

I beg to differ on the freekick last night. Yes, placement wise, it is not fantastic but you have to look at the pace of the ball. Keeper can only see and judge the flight after it clears the wall. Some keepers might not even react in time to make a dive.

Karius did not start his Liverpool career well with high profile mistakes and was dropped. Klopp likely to give him chance to redeem, hence the decision to rotate keepers.

We drew with Sevilla because of individual error - Lovren. We drew with Spartak because of attackers kept missing sitters. Whoever we placed between the posts for that two games, results likely to be the same.

honestly, I am not sure how many Karius-believers are still left out there. It is hard-pressed for anyone to see how he has any potential to be an upgrade than Mingolet. Maybe in the season in the german league he was outstanding. But we are talking about the EPL where the pressure and game play is quite different.  Given 1 season and a few games into this season, I honestly can't conjure any faith in Karius at all. He can't really save long shots, not confident on his footwork, passes and clearance, can't command his box or instill confidence in the defence.  Wonder which neutral can really disagree with this factual reality

I do not agree that Karius isn't at fault for the freekick yesterday. If it was mingolet, my bet is that he will make the save. His reaction is typically faster for such long shots, even if blinded by the wall.  The ball wasn't in the corner, it was within reach of a dive.  Karius could have reached the ball, but he was way too slow.  We are not talking roberto carlos type of a slammer in this case.  

my biggest issue is not that Klopp is a developing coach... but you'll need to pick a right time to do it.  With the team's defence low on confidence, it is more imperative to rebuild confidence and stability. How do you do it? you keep clean sheets for a few games and then the confidence in the defense will return. If you take risks and play an off-form GK in Karius now, you are literally playing with fire.  Karius conceded with the 1st shot on target. After that, he did not have much to do..  

sorry if I sound grumpy.  if Klopp continues to insist on such GK rotations, we pool fans will continue to suffer.. 

• Praise 1

honestly, I am not sure how many Karius-believers are still left out there. It is hard-pressed for anyone to see how he has any potential to be an upgrade than Mingolet. Maybe in the season in the german league he was outstanding. But we are talking about the EPL where the pressure and game play is quite different. Given 1 season and a few games into this season, I honestly can't conjure any faith in Karius at all. He can't really save long shots, not confident on his footwork, passes and clearance, can't command his box or instill confidence in the defence. Wonder which neutral can really disagree with this factual reality

I do not agree that Karius isn't at fault for the freekick yesterday. If it was mingolet, my bet is that he will make the save. His reaction is typically faster for such long shots, even if blinded by the wall. The ball wasn't in the corner, it was within reach of a dive. Karius could have reached the ball, but he was way too slow. We are not talking roberto carlos type of a slammer in this case.

my biggest issue is not that Klopp is a developing coach... but you'll need to pick a right time to do it. With the team's defence low on confidence, it is more imperative to rebuild confidence and stability. How do you do it? you keep clean sheets for a few games and then the confidence in the defense will return. If you take risks and play an off-form GK in Karius now, you are literally playing with fire. Karius conceded with the 1st shot on target. After that, he did not have much to do..

sorry if I sound grumpy. if Klopp continues to insist on such GK rotations, we pool fans will continue to suffer..

I am also critical of karius performance in recent times

But having played keeper when I was in school, I can appreciate how jitters can affect a gk much more than an outfield player

Outfield player have 90 mins to make amends for mistakes

Gk typically are only called to action a few times in a game

If they are carrying a baggage, it's very easy to make poor decisions leading to stupid mistakes

Klopp must find a way to instil confidence in karius if he is to continue playing our European games

honestly, I am not sure how many Karius-believers are still left out there. It is hard-pressed for anyone to see how he has any potential to be an upgrade than Mingolet. Maybe in the season in the german league he was outstanding. But we are talking about the EPL where the pressure and game play is quite different. Given 1 season and a few games into this season, I honestly can't conjure any faith in Karius at all. He can't really save long shots, not confident on his footwork, passes and clearance, can't command his box or instill confidence in the defence. Wonder which neutral can really disagree with this factual reality

I do not agree that Karius isn't at fault for the freekick yesterday. If it was mingolet, my bet is that he will make the save. His reaction is typically faster for such long shots, even if blinded by the wall. The ball wasn't in the corner, it was within reach of a dive. Karius could have reached the ball, but he was way too slow. We are not talking roberto carlos type of a slammer in this case.

my biggest issue is not that Klopp is a developing coach... but you'll need to pick a right time to do it. With the team's defence low on confidence, it is more imperative to rebuild confidence and stability. How do you do it? you keep clean sheets for a few games and then the confidence in the defense will return. If you take risks and play an off-form GK in Karius now, you are literally playing with fire. Karius conceded with the 1st shot on target. After that, he did not have much to do..

sorry if I sound grumpy. if Klopp continues to insist on such GK rotations, we pool fans will continue to suffer..

On the freekick, let’s agree to disagree then. :) I personally can’t say for sure if Migs is there, he will definitely save it. I have seen Migs glued to the ground for such freekicks delievered at pace too.

To me, if Klopp has played Karius for the most of last season and this is what Karius is today, I say Bin him.

The fact is that he has to-date, 11 outings for Pool in two season. Is that a number good enough to judge that the keeper is hopeless? He was assessed based on hundred of games with Mainz but becomes useless after 11 games for us?

If Karius is indeed low on confidence, which I don’t think he is, the only way for him to regain that is to play him more. Last season when he was dropped, that’s really what I call low in confidence. Klopp then took the decision to drop him and took him off firing line. Clearly Klopp trying a different approach this time round.

His decision making, distribution and command of the box is good, based on what I have watched when he was in Mainz. I don’t believe a keeper will become bad even if he cannot become better, especially when he is still young.

I seriously believe Karius’ future is tied to our UCL progression. If he f**ked it up, his career with us could just be over as well. Klopp using this campaign to make a final call

Edited by Osprey23

saw highlights of the pool match on Youtube... unbelievable that the score ended 1-1

That’s football I guess. The ball simply refuse to enter the net and the 2 keepers from Spartak were on god mode
↡ Advertisement