Magnifying glass
  • Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
153 replies to this topic | 857 praises

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:39 AM

Miles
  • Miles
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Anyone going for the soft launch on 31st Aug?

http://www.autoexpre...urce=newsletter

Angcheek and antelop praised this

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:29 PM

Vratenza
  • Premium member
    Vratenza
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

It will be interesting to see how Wearnes price it's FWD, turbo petrol turbo  with the level of equipment being offered.

#notmypresident

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:07 PM

Sdf4786k
  • Premium member
    Sdf4786k
    6th Gear
    Author Image

If its price like everywhere else, the T8 with hybrid is price like a macan..

So unless the landscape has shifted somewhat where every car is considered on its merit instead of the badge that it carries, the Volvo is going to have a tough time on the Market.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:25 PM

Koster
  • Premium member
    Koster
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Volvo design these days are very desirable. Somehow the pricing is just not value for money.
AFWE69, Angcheek, Silver_blade and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:39 PM

Vratenza
  • Premium member
    Vratenza
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I blame Wearnes.... Not wrong to make money... But if you want to earn a premium margin,  u better have a premium product, badge, aftersales.

Almost went for a display almost new "management"  unit prev gen XC60 last year (before the release of the latest gen design)  countered offered them a price that I was ready to sign. They hung up to sell. I thanked the SE for his time...1 month down the road, when the SE called to tell me the "good news", "the management decided to meet my asking price for the same unit, I tell them sorry I already place my deposit for a GLC. Never looked back. 

#notmypresident

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:09 AM

Koster
  • Premium member
    Koster
    1st Gear
    Author Image

I blame Wearnes.... Not wrong to make money... But if you want to earn a premium margin, u better have a premium product, badge, aftersales.

Almost went for a display almost new "management" unit prev gen XC60 last year (before the release of the latest gen design) countered offered them a price that I was ready to sign. They hung up to sell. I thanked the SE for his time...1 month down the road, when the SE called to tell me the "good news", "the management decided to meet my asking price for the same unit, I tell them sorry I already place my deposit for a GLC. Never looked back.

Yes, dont know how Wearnes price their cars. Infiniti Q30's pricing is on par with the A class. When I asked the SE why choose Infiniti instead of A class, they told me Infiniti is based on GLA. Like it makes a difference 🤔

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:49 AM

Fat_slayer
  • Fat_slayer
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

I owned a Volvo before from 2012 to 2015.  I admit their sales and after sales are pretty good. Volvo are quite problem free and very comfortable.

However, their current new car pricing relative to the omv is a bit off. This make the depreciation higher or on par with their German rivals....   

east41st, Angcheek, antelop, Longhorn and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:10 AM

Wolfverine
  • Premium member
    Wolfverine
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Based on personal experience comparing PA, PML and Wearnes (Volvo only as have not tried other marques), Wearnes has the best sales and after-sales. Hardly any issue with the car, easy to make svc appt, free taxi voucher for drop off. 

If using OMV, eqp level, etc to compare pricing, I believe Volvo is quite reasonably priced - that was the comparison I had before committing on the XC90. Unfortunately, when layered in brand perception, drive, etc, Volvo might loose its appeal.

Angcheek, Tianmo, Silver_blade and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

Vratenza
  • Premium member
    Vratenza
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Over the years I have learnt not to ask SEs "why the price is so high?" ...unless I am ready to listen to bullcrap and exchange useless banter.

I make my own assessment on the build quality, feature set, drive and AD support, I decide how much the car is worth. Make an offer for a price that I think is worth. They bite, we have a deal. If not, no point waste each other's time.

Yes, dont know how Wearnes price their cars. Infiniti Q30's pricing is on par with the A class. When I asked the SE why choose Infiniti instead of A class, they told me Infiniti is based on GLA. Like it makes a difference 🤔

Mkl22 and Eug1388 praised this
#notmypresident

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:38 AM

Vratenza
  • Premium member
    Vratenza
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I think out of the whole volvo range, only XC90 has the OMV/selling price that is reasonable.....and it is definitely a good choice if comparing with rivals in the same segment.

Cannot say the same for their other models like XC60 (prev gen) and more recently the S90/V90.

The rest of the volvo range can't really comment because they are never in my radar range, but a quick look at the OMV  and the basic car cost(with COE), Wearnes is definitely looking at a premium badge profit margin despite volvo's resale value is well known to be lowballed by dealers (more than other conti brands). This further adds to the depreciation that cannot be calculated until you try to sell your car.

of course, as a car that one drive for 10yrs to be scrapped, a low OMV +low selling price car is great value!

Would love to own a new generation volvo some day, but from what I see......not anytime soon unless Wearnes wakes up.

Based on personal experience comparing PA, PML and Wearnes (Volvo only as have not tried other marques), Wearnes has the best sales and after-sales. Hardly any issue with the car, easy to make svc appt, free taxi voucher for drop off. 

If using OMV, eqp level, etc to compare pricing, I believe Volvo is quite reasonably priced - that was the comparison I had before committing on the XC90. Unfortunately, when layered in brand perception, drive, etc, Volvo might loose its appeal.

AFWE69 and Still2016 praised this
#notmypresident

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:44 PM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I think out of the whole volvo range, only XC90 has the OMV/selling price that is reasonable.....and it is definitely a good choice if comparing with rivals in the same segment.

Cannot say the same for their other models like XC60 (prev gen) and more recently the S90/V90.
The rest of the volvo range can't really comment because they are never in my radar range, but a quick look at the OMV and the basic car cost(with COE), Wearnes is definitely looking at a premium badge profit margin despite volvo's resale value is well known to be lowballed by dealers (more than other conti brands). This further adds to the depreciation that cannot be calculated until you try to sell your car.

of course, as a car that one drive for 10yrs to be scrapped, a low OMV +low selling price car is great value!

Would love to own a new generation volvo some day, but from what I see......not anytime soon unless Wearnes wakes up.

If u buy Merc oredi, unlikely u will settle for wowo later

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:31 PM

AFWE69
  • AFWE69
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Volvo design these days are very desirable. Somehow the pricing is just not value for money.

Agree. I love the design of the old XC60, but 3 SUVs later, I still yet to order one. Certainly not the fault of the sales lady I dealt with, she worked very hard.

Edited by AFWE69, 19 August 2017 - 01:38 PM.

Angcheek and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:39 PM

Vratenza
  • Premium member
    Vratenza
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Hard to say leh....for me I went from Merc to Lexus and back to Merc......So long as they make good cars and AD price it reasonably (in our local context), I am not badge sensitive.

If u buy Merc oredi, unlikely u will settle for wowo later

#notmypresident

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:42 PM

VellfireS
  • Premium member
    VellfireS
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Actually, I love the current range of wowos. The XC90 especially. Really looks very swee... and the specs is also good.. only thing that worries me is the resale value..  [lipsrsealed]

The Great Melon TIKO Ranger since 2011

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:55 PM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Am I the only one who feels the wowo showroom actually feels worse after the reno?

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:08 PM

mersaylee
  • mersaylee
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Am I the only one who feels the wowo showroom actually feels worse after the reno?

Drove past it earlier...thought of dropping by for a cup of latte and also check out tradein price...didn't turn in as it appeared to me there's a somber moody feel from the outside as if it's holding a funeral inside😂

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:09 PM

Soya
  • Soya
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Drove past it earlier...thought of dropping by for a cup of latte and also check out tradein price...didn't turn in as it appeared to me there's a somber moody feel from the outside as if it's holding a funeral insideð

Precisely. Wassup w all the frosted glass n all? Maciam got cold morgue inside

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:23 PM

mersaylee
  • mersaylee
    Turbocharged
    Author Image

Precisely. Wassup w all the frosted glass n all? Maciam got cold morgue inside

Ahhh....I know liao. It's the heritage thing...coffin like shoulders of the P1, P2 and those wowo wagons...very aptly decorated to match...CHOY! !!
Soya praised this

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:52 PM

Newbie26
  • Newbie26
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

well recognised Volvo after sales service is excellent

the problem is that Volvo attracts only a small select group, those who can appreciate its build and safety

resale price is generally weak because the group of buyers for used ones is even smaller

in an unfortunate event of a major accident, this is one car most would have wished they were driving in 

Pocy, Angcheek, Uncle2, Still2016, Pinobii, Freeder, Spring and 3 other members praised this

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:09 PM

jjandyy
  • jjandyy
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

There is really no point blaming Wearnes for marketing Volvo products as premium and asked for margin that correspond to the market positioning. Obviously Volvo is not a mass market brand that needs to compete on low margins or chasing market shares to survive now. They are targeting people who can afford the margin/premium that they are asking, who can see the products beyond OMV, margin, resale value etc in SG context. The products are good too, especially the higher end range. The brand is neutral relative to other premium European brand and appeal to people who are looking tor such neutrality. I always have a feeling that Volvo is not competing against the other brands, it competes against itself in terms of products and innovations.

Also, as far as I know, Volvo is never cheap (relative to its competitors) in other markets. They can get expensive with options, that's what car reviewers from other countries said. That's how Volvo position itself and there are people who support the brand, in fact they are growing fast, backed by a deep-pocket owner.

Own a Volvo, and if you ask me will I buy another Volvo again, or recommend the brand to others, I will answer Yes without a blink.
Eug1388 and 1 Anonymous member praised this

Back to Conti Talk  ·  Car Brands Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Also tagged with these keywords: volvo , #xc60 , #volvo , #suv , #glc , #x3 , #q5 , #macan ...

Tags: volvo, #xc60, #volvo, #suv, #glc and 4 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users