SEA game 2017

Ender

One gold for Singapore in marathon. Well done Soh Rui Yong.

Mok Ying Ren finished 7th though.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/sea-games-singapore-s-soh-rui-yong-defends-marathon-title-9137788

KUALA LUMPUR: Defending champion Soh Rui Yong clinched gold in the men's marathon at the SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur on Saturday (Aug 19).

Soh fended off the challenge of Indonesian Agus Prayogo to add to the title he won at the last Games in Singapore.

Soh, 25, who holds the national record of 2hr 24min 55sec, clocked 2hr 29min 26sec. Singapore's other participant Mok Ying Ren, who won the SEA Games gold medal in Myanmar in 2013, finished seventh.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/sea-games-singapore-s-soh-rui-yong-defends-marathon-title-9137788

I seriously think every sea games deserve a thread on it's own. Can any mod split this into a new thread title "sea games 2017"?

And pls don't change the title of this thread,  2015 is history and really make no sense when ppl click in to see title different from first post. 

@radx, @jman888, @spring, @babyblade, @kobayashiGT, @pchou.

• Praise 1

The synchronized swimmers also won 2 golds,  one individual and one grp.  [thumbsup] 

I think shooting got a grp silver,  and best own score .[thumbsup] 

Edited by Tianmo

(edited)

He didn't win any medal this round. But he is well known in the running community around this region as a friendly and humble guy. Can see from some FB pictures of him and his malaysian supporters. In the spirit of ASEAN, supporters don't have to come from your own country if you are a truly respected sportmen. The people's champ.

https://runone.co/2017/08/19/press-release-for-sea-games-2017-marathon-mok-ying-ren/

Press Release for SEA Games 2017 Marathon – Mok Ying Ren MOK WON – NOT GOLD OR SILVER – BUT HEARTS AND RESPECT IN KUALA LUMPUR

38825232_unknown.jpg?w=685

Kuala Lumpur – On the morning of 19 Aug 2017, after 2 hours 44 minutes of intense racing, TeamSG National Marathoner Mok Ying Ren (Managed by ONEathlete) finished strong in the men’s race which ended with a tightly contested 1-2 finish between Indonesia’s Agus Prayogo and Singapore’s Soh Rui Yong. The Malaysian duo finished 3rd and 4th in an emotion-filled run on home ground.  The sight of Soh and Agus fighting it out in the last lap was a fitting conclusion to what had been an eagerly anticipated race with one of the best marathon field the SEA Games has seen in recent years.

38826864_unknown.jpg?w=68538826576_unknown.jpg?w=685

Mok’s finish of 2:44:15 was nearly 18 minutes off his personal best. The 29-year old doctor-marathoner was tested hard by the humid weather and a tactically-dominated race full of surges and changing leads that also saw one of the pre-race favourite, Thailand’s Boonthung Srisung, drop out in the last 10km. The race was conducted in the heart of Putrajaya on a 6-loop rectangular race route with multiple sharp turns.

img_8864-2.jpg?w=685

“I go into every marathon expecting it to be challenging and today was no different. Having just started my surgical resident training I had to work twice, thrice as hard to give my all for this SEA Games. It was an all-out race effort so there is hardly any room for regret. It’s been a long journey and I’m very happy and thankful to have the support of my dearest wife, close friends, family, officials/staff, supporters and sponsors. Behind every athlete, there is a big ‘team’ like this! That’s the best part of this journey. ” said the 29-year-old doctor-athlete who had strived for a 3rd SEA Games gold medal juggling his training with the long hours as a orthopaedic surgical resident in training.
38827648_unknown.jpg?w=685

“I’m very humbled by all the supporters from Singapore, Malaysia and the other ASEAN countries! Even more touched by the love from the game host! This is the essence of the SEA Games!” Mok was cheered on by the crowds of supporters who chanted his name in support; and stayed on to take photos and selfie with the double SEA Games Gold medallist. The host country (especially) had certainly opened up their hearts to Singapore’s prolific doctor-marathoner.

​​

img_8868.jpg?w=685img_8878.jpg?w=685img_8881.jpg?w=685img_8895.jpg?w=685img_8906.jpg?w=685img_8907.jpg?w=685img_8915.jpg?w=68538827888_unknown.jpg?w=68538827712_unknown.jpg?w=68538827440_unknown.jpg?w=68538827504_unknown.jpg?w=685

A spokesperson from ONEathlete, which manages Mok Ying Ren said that, “It is heartening to see that Mok’s passion for his patients, didn’t deter his shot at his best! Congratulatory messages have been coming in, and we want to thank Singaporeans for such a great showing of support! Mok hopes that more people will lead healthy lives and ‘run with mok’. He is looking forward to engage the running community even more in the near future.”

Attempting to win his third SEA Games Gold medal under such trying conditions was an emotional moment for Mok, in the months leading up. His immediate priorities after this race will be to move into his new flat and also prepare for his wedding banquet to be held later this year.

38827264_unknown.jpg?w=685

SHARE THIS:

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 1

For those who can understand Cantonese, bolehland supporters sure hv a funny way of calling their Team Malaysia:

post-1105-0-14718100-1503130770_thumb.jpg

• Praise 6

Funny in the de facto common language for the Chinese population in the host city. In fact many non-Chinese in KL would also know soar high. [laugh]

Probably most of the $$$ went to line cronies pockets so no more budget to hire a Cantonese proof reader.....

Funny in the de facto common language for the Chinese population in the host city. In fact many non-Chinese in KL would also know soar high. [laugh]

What does it stand for?

What does it stand for?

Chinese call 傻逼, in simplest form is dumb,  but in a very very unpresent way.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh] 

For those who can understand Cantonese, bolehland supporters sure hv a funny way of calling their Team Malaysia:

Mayb they took reference from this video.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh] 

Printing errors seem to be very common nowadays. Haha

all outsource to PRC, and nobody do QC, just believe in what they say, “没事,没事,没问题,你放心”.  And then soar high appear.  [:p]  [laugh]

Having said this, I think we do have some soar high in our very own gov sector also with such errors.  [laugh]