Why is MCF so quiet these days?

Tianmo

I only pop into MCF a couple or so times a day.

If got too much action from posters then can 'waste' a lot of time here.

I find the number of posts per day fine and just about right.

But all internet sites grow and decrease as and when posters want.

Almost a living thing.

I've stopped using Hardwarezone as I found it just didn't suit me.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I agree. When cars become a tool for livelihood the interest in cars will just dwindle. Yeah. Getting a car is no longer a priority for most. Getting around is really easy now. Ppl can even choose to cycle rather dan walk.

I was reading two articles on how Nascar and high end motorcycles (like Harley) are facing the same issue in USA.

PMD like ninebot and uniwheels rock

Ha my wife rides a uniwheel
  • Praise 1

I only pop into MCF a couple or so times a day.

If got too much action from posters then can 'waste' a lot of time here.

I find the number of posts per day fine and just about right.

But all internet sites grow and decrease as and when posters want.

Almost a living thing.

I've stopped using Hardwarezone as I found it just didn't suit me.

HWZ is pretty good if you are looking for specific information because they have the numbers.

E.g. Computer hardware (duh! but it's getting pretty boring there too) and financial stuff (e.g. info on credit cards and fixed deposits)

HWZ is pretty good if you are looking for specific information because they have the numbers.

E.g. Computer hardware (duh! but it's getting pretty boring there too) and financial stuff (e.g. info on credit cards and fixed deposits)

HWZ is only good when i am in a sibei kay poh mood... but thats like everyday ... hahahahah

actually MCF not bad liao. i still comes in daily and say a few words. some forums got killed because each time someone said something, they get hammered right and left. 

why ask and not search, tropic mentioned a thousand times, off tropic, too sensitive, etc. obviously after a while almost everything were discussed. so stop asking or cannot talk liao? 

this is chit chat forum. never mind if you agree or disagree lah. be happy mah

• Praise 4

I was reading two articles on how Nascar and high end motorcycles (like Harley) are facing the same issue in USA.

Ha my wife rides a uniwheel

Yup

My other half on ninebot

Me uniwhwel

I agree that we need new blood for the forum! For those who are reading our forum, please join in and share with us your thoughts too! Don't just read, it is fun when you contribute! 

Well,  I think to get new ppl from participating,  there have to be enough topics of interest to different ppl,  or at least something more current. But there seem to be no new topics to talk,  want to talk must go dig first. By the time finish digging no time no energy liao,  sometimes forget want to talk what liao.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh] 

Actually I have surfed many forums and think this has becoming a trend, dwindling traffic.

Not just MCF, other forums like sgforums, is almost like a dead town for months. Even my die-cast model forum has completely died 2-3 years ago, meaning no one posts anything at all.

Even Facebook traffic is dropping for the past months.

Thus I suspect that the trend of online discussions is dwindling, and people don't like to chit chat online anymore.

Reasons:

1. No time

2. Spend more time on online shopping instead.

3. People only spend time in forums/social media to look for important information useful to them, but not necessarily post.

4. Quarrels/arguments between members that cause them to stop logging on and discuss online.

5. Upcoming rules for fake news

For MCF, I think starting a topic is difficult. Must add at least three hash tags to start topic.

For my old die-cast forum, must have at least 50 posts in order to post buy/sell section and start new topics. Posting pictures is also difficult, more difficult than MCF and Facebook. So very few members joined and the forum got bored, so died.

Edited by DACH
  • Praise 5

Actually I have surfed many forums and think this has becoming a trend, dwindling traffic.

Not just MCF, other forums like sgforums, is almost like a dead town for months. Even my die-cast model forum has completely died 2-3 years ago, meaning no one posts anything at all.

Even Facebook traffic is dropping for the past months.

Thus I suspect that the trend of online discussions is dwindling, and people don't like to chit chat online anymore.

Reasons:

1. No time

2. Spend more time on online shopping instead.

3. People only spend time in forums/social media to look for important information useful to them, but not necessarily post.

4. Quarrels/arguments between members that cause them to stop logging on and discuss online.

5. Upcoming rules for fake news

For MCF, I think starting a topic is difficult. Must add at least three hash tags to start topic.

For my old die-cast forum, must have at least 50 posts in order to post buy/sell section and start new topics. Posting pictures is also difficult, more difficult than MCF and Facebook. So very few members joined and the forum got bored, so died.

Hmmmmmm,  and so it seems like MCF is still consider lucky to have new members signing up and willing to participate,  or at least read,  if there is anything to read. [laugh] 

All the more the banning of new members sld be soften and creating of new threads make easier.  Otherwise looks like this place will just go belly up real soon too.  

Anyway,  if no one wants to participate,  there is nothing to moderate also. Mayb wait for 7th month once a year to move some threads . [laugh] 

my first post in this hot thread after 6 pages!!

forum is old school liao, Google and wiki provides so much info that everyone can become 'expert' no need to go forums ask for advice liao.

However complaint threads are still popular, see reckless driving, parking idiots, Mrt/bus, uber/grab, cyclist/ebike/escooter, all the richies and authorities, etc.

anything about cat? still have but getting lesser, I think they are still many newbies come here for advice and old birds and other still sharing their knowledge.

also old birds really getting old liao, 15 yrs is a long time.

• Praise 1

Methinks this is a sneaky way for Tianmo to get thread of the month..  [laugh]

Hor? @Tianmo   :grin:

Knn,  not so loud lah,  kangtao pichar liao.  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh] 

• Praise 3

yup agree......and that is why i have been laxing a little to see what needs to be liberated and have not been merging too much

threads with previous history where ppl dun bother to search will still get canned...period

On the subject of merging thread, perhaps the Mods can set some rules like , big annual event ( NDP, NDR, or maybe even whatever car show , IT show ) can have new thread since we can have a new COE thread every other week. 

Others such as reckless driving, PMD related, perhaps depending on the issue / information, it can also have it's own separate thread.

having said that, i do agree that we should control so that we do not have many many thread discussing the same thing. 

Thank you 

• Praise 5

my first post in this hot thread after 6 pages!!

forum is old school liao, Google and wiki provides so much info that everyone can become 'expert' no need to go forums ask for advice liao.

sorry bro.. this i totally disagree... what i like about this forum 

is the unbiased GENUINE feedback about an array of topics.. 

so many things online have vested interests... and even sponsored...  

so.... forums.. will not die... 

• Praise 2

On the forum page (web page, not mobile), there are :-

- Most Active Discussions

- Latest Car-Related Discussions

- Latest Non Car-Related Discussions

- Latest New Threads

- Hot Threads of the Month

Personally, I focus on the ones in bold only. Each sector shows 15 threads only and to see more I have to tap "view all". Sometimes see the same old same old thread titles got good got bad, can be familiar and can be boring. So for me, I would suggest the 2 sections be expanded to allow for more threads to be current. Sometimes see a single thread title duplicated in 3 columns (eg, Latest Discussion, Latest New Thread, Hot Thread) so it gives the impression of lack of content. I usually ignore the last 2 columns. iirc, the previous MCF format showed more threads on the forum page than present.

I think many folks nowadays want quick and instant answers so don't like to browse thru long long threads and see wall of words. But I do look at such long long threads as it is also a rich data base and has continuity. So that is a personal user preference, I suppose.

So my simple suggestion is to rejig the format page a bit to allow for more threads to be displayed, looks more diverse and more vibrant. I am used to this forum and can navigate around quite OK, but maybe we need to freshen up a bit so as to capture more eyeballs and get new ones to contribute their experiences.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1