Upgrading car dilemma !

Stash

Hi All, need advise.

Been driving since 2004...
1st was van, 2nd Honda city, now is Axio.

expecting 2nd child next year.
Hence Axio will not have enough space for 2 child seats and mother in law n helper.

So need to find 7 seater or 8 Seater.

What is the best way to sell my current ride (expire june 2018) and maybe look for Estima (prefer COE car). ISIS (hard to find spares) i prefer Jap cars.

1. why is the price for coe cars so high? if i understand once the car past its 10 yr mark no value, so just have to add the new coe price. but dealers price is up to 80 - 90 K!!!!

2. Is it better to buy a 7-8 yr car and once coe expire, can renew?

3. And of course minimum cash pls.... diapers n baby stuff not cheap...

Pls share your experience n advise

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

1. Because they sell the PARF rebate value to you + renewed COE + profit. So they don't make any loss selling the COE car.

2. Depends on what you can find on the market.

3. Minimum loan? Unless on balloon scheme or leasing scheme or some other scheme. If not, you have to cough out minimum 30% or 40% as downpayment.

Just a note for you, road tax for COE cars increase by 10% every year, up to maximum 150% by 5th year.

So if you are looking for Estima, please make sure you can swallow the additional premium on road tax of 2.4L.

It seems to me you are a marginal buyer like me. So I don't recommend you go for MPV with big CC engine.

You should look at Stream/Wish/Sienta/Freed those small MPVs. Especially Sienta/Freed if you want sliding doors.

Hi All, need advise.

Hence Axio will not have enough space for 2 child seats and mother in law n helper.

What is the best way to sell my current ride (expire june 2018) and maybe look for Estima (prefer COE car). ISIS (hard to find spares) i prefer Jap cars.

1. why is the price for coe cars so high? if i understand once the car past its 10 yr mark no value, so just have to add the new coe price. but dealers price is up to 80 - 90 K!!!!

Edited by Beehive3783
  • Praise 8

Hi All, need advise.

For fetching the highest price for your current car is to sell the car yourself (through sgcarmart, carousell etc).

1. Need to take into consideration of the parf value. Eg. Estima  parf value est $15K + COE for 10 years est 50k, cost of car will be ard $65k.

2. I think it is better to buy a slightly over 9 year old car as the depreciation is lower as compared to a 7-8 year old. Drive the car for a few months, by then you should be able to access whether the car is worth renewing the COE.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

these days due to loan curbs, new cars are often "cheaper" relative to used cars, so must do sums carefully

13.jpg

[thumbsup] Good suggestion.

To TS: FYI commercial vehicles does not have loan restrictions like passenger cars hence you are able to take 100% loan. You mentioned you drive van before. If it's your own business all the more worthwhile. Runs on diesel, low maintenance, fixed low rate road tax, dual usage. Only con is annual vehicle inspection and smog test.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Hi All, need advise.

Been driving since 2004 , and joined forum since 2006 , I find it quite amusing for the types of question you ask .... [rolleyes]

• Praise 2

cannot go malaysia leh

13.jpg

but when you need to upsize your car or change car for whatever reason and you have difficulty coughing up 20 to 30k for downpayment, it's hard to get a new car.

these days due to loan curbs, new cars are often "cheaper" relative to used cars, so must do sums carefully

• Praise 1

1. Because they sell the PARF rebate value to you + renewed COE + profit. So they don't make any loss selling the COE car.

2. Depends on what you can find on the market.

3. Minimum loan? Unless on balloon scheme or leasing scheme or some other scheme. If not, you have to cough out minimum 30% or 40% as downpayment.

Just a note for you, road tax for COE cars increase by 10% every year, up to maximum 150% by 5th year.

So if you are looking for Estima, please make sure you can swallow the additional premium on road tax of 2.4L.

It seems to me you are a marginal buyer like me. So I don't recommend you go for MPV with big CC engine.

You should look at Stream/Wish/Sienta/Freed those small MPVs. Especially Sienta/Freed if you want sliding doors.

A bit higher spec with sliding door would be Mzd 5. Although it might be a problematic car (according to my regular mechanic previously). Just a suggestion though..

• Praise 3

Good point. I was considering that too.

Eventually decided to give up changing car because too many hidden factors.

A bit higher spec with sliding door would be Mzd 5. Although it might be a problematic car (according to my regular mechanic previously). Just a suggestion though..

TS, your car is <1 yr to scrap. Honestly, it is hard to sell for a good value. Dealers are going to quote you close to scrap value.

Selling at used car market won't get you much also. Ask yourself, will you buy a car which left a few months to scrap?

In my opinion, drive your existing car till scrap. If you are on tight budget, go for COE Wish or Stream (those renewed 10 yr).

Should be easy to find.

thank  you all so much, didnt think about the 10% increase...

thats scary...

ISIS can consider? worried about spares

• Praise 1

TS, your car is <1 yr to scrap. Honestly, it is hard to sell for a good value. Dealers are going to quote you close to scrap value.

Selling at used car market won't get you much also. Ask yourself, will you buy a car which left a few months to scrap?

In my opinion, drive your existing car till scrap. If you are on tight budget, go for COE Wish or Stream (those renewed 10 yr).

Should be easy to find.

I was thinking about replacing our wish about 2 yr ago, but eventually decided to renew the coe... 

• Praise 1

thank  you all so much, didnt think about the 10% increase...

thats scary...

ISIS can consider? worried about spares

Isis except for the looks from the rear, is actually a good choice, i would say. Now sure about later models, but in 06 when i was looking, Isis shared the same engine with Wish, so engine spares should not be an issue. It's the body parts that i'm not sure.

you didn't consider Wish/Stream? These 2 are the more popular MPVs, and only little bit smaller than Isis.

Hi All, need advise.

looks like you are not going to spend a lot of cash but want a 7 seater. I am assuming you would also want to save on petrol and road tax. Estima is a 2.4L car , base road tax will be at least 1.6k , every year there is a 10% increase in road tax till 50%. Next, this car would give you about 8KM per litter of petrol traveled  you need to consider if you will be travelling a lot and if you want to pay for more road tax and petrol. 

For 90k, you may want to consider a new wish, not as spacious as estima but you save on petrol and road tax. You get warranty and more peace of mind. Otherwise, see if there is still new Mazda 5 available for sale.  Both should be 110k price range.

Edited by Ct3833
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2