Upgrading car dilemma !

Stash

What about new honda shuttle? Not really worth to get a coe estima... Spare parts cost, fuel consumption, higher road tax, wear and tear... Etc... Alternative is to get those left one yr mpv... So your commitment not so high..

• Praise 1

$16k depreciation per year for a 5 years old car?

that's almost the same depreciation for a new Estima ... [laugh]

True la. But if he worried about servicing and spare parts cost, maybe newer better? Haha.

Road tax for COE Estima can kill man.. See if you have any friends who drive a wish/stream and they dun indent to renew COE. Conditions ok, take over from them. Or buy a renewed 5yrs stream/wish under $40k from 2nd hand dealer.

After all, it's always better to keep some money with you when you just started or is expanding your family. Upgrading can come later..

Edited by Optramagnum
  • Praise 2

Actually those with small kids/babies/toddlers should consider MPVs with sliding doors.

Easier to hook up baby in child seat, easier to board, less risk of banging door into the car beside.

But of course, most sliding door MPVs are either big CC (expensive to maintain) or hideous.

Isis except for the looks from the rear, is actually a good choice, i would say. Now sure about later models, but in 06 when i was looking, Isis shared the same engine with Wish, so engine spares should not be an issue. It's the body parts that i'm not sure.

you didn't consider Wish/Stream? These 2 are the more popular MPVs, and only little bit smaller than Isis.

• Praise 1

What about new honda shuttle? Not really worth to get a coe estima... Spare parts cost, fuel consumption, higher road tax, wear and tear... Etc... Alternative is to get those left one yr mpv... So your commitment not so high..

TS needs 7-8 seats leh. Shuttle is 5 seats only.

Actually those with small kids/babies/toddlers should consider MPVs with sliding doors.

Easier to hook up baby in child seat, easier to board, less risk of banging door into the car beside.

But of course, most sliding door MPVs are either big CC (expensive to maintain) or hideous.

Agree with you.

The only decent-looking not-too-big MPV with sliding doors would prob be Mazda 5 then. But it's still 2L.

And if TS is thinking of COE cars, not sure if COE Mazda is ok or not...

I heard Mazda engines generally are high maintenance.

BUT... I only heard. I never owned a Mazda before so can't comment further.

But even if it's reliable, COE car road tax for 2L will come up to 1.8K per year in 5th year. Hard to swallow.

Agree with you.

The only decent-looking not-too-big MPV with sliding doors would prob be Mazda 5 then. But it's still 2L.

And if TS is thinking of COE cars, not sure if COE Mazda is ok or not...

I heard Mazda engines generally are high maintenance.

BUT... I only heard. I never owned a Mazda before so can't comment further.

But even if it's reliable, COE car road tax for 2L will come up to 1.8K per year in 5th year. Hard to swallow.

Then my choice to renew wish for 10 yr is still a good choice? We are first owner...

Supercharged

1.5L 7-seaters w/ sliding:

Freed

12010_g1_b.jpg

Sienta

11748_g34_b.jpg

Edited by Eyke

Then my choice to renew wish for 10 yr is still a good choice? We are first owner...

I believe you did the right thing in renewing your Wish for 10 yr. It is a reliable car.

I have a Stream which will expire in mid 2018. Am also thinking of renewing it for 10 yr. I am the first owner like you.

• Praise 1

A few factors you need to consider, but since you are first owner you should have a pretty clear idea:

1. Mechanical condition of the car - whether any major repair or problem coming up soon. Did you religiously do regular maintenance? If you feel the car is in good condition to go another 10 years, then all is good.

2. COE car road tax - whether you can swallow the 1.8L coe car road tax.

If above factors all ok, then why not?

40+K renew for 10 years and you're good to go. Depreciation 5K/year at most? can't find that in new cars.

If any major problems really crop up, just scrap the car anytime and you get back the balance COE.

Ugly and ugly.

Although I did consider the new Sienta at one point because it has a very smart 3rd row seat folding system which folds underneath the 2nd row seats.

Freed's third row seat folding system is very retarded and it takes up boot space to fold up against the sides of the interior.

1.5L 7-seaters w/ sliding:

Freed

12010_g1_b.jpg

Sienta

11748_g34_b.jpg

I renewed liao lah... and it was 58k then... heart pain.

A few factors you need to consider, but since you are first owner you should have a pretty clear idea:

1. Mechanical condition of the car - whether any major repair or problem coming up soon. Did you religiously do regular maintenance? If you feel the car is in good condition to go another 10 years, then all is good.

2. COE car road tax - whether you can swallow the 1.8L coe car road tax.

If above factors all ok, then why not?

40+K renew for 10 years and you're good to go. Depreciation 5K/year at most? can't find that in new cars.

If any major problems really crop up, just scrap the car anytime and you get back the balance COE.

Ugly and ugly.

Although I did consider the new Sienta at one point because it has a very smart 3rd row seat folding system which folds underneath the 2nd row seats.

Freed's third row seat folding system is very retarded and it takes up boot space to fold up against the sides of the interior.

Alamak.. cheat my feelings..

Renew already still ask good choice or not? [laugh]

ha ha ha... i insecure mah, needed the affirmation and reassurance.  :grin:

also let TS have some confidence with this lor... (but disclaimer this one here only applicable for Wish)...

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Correct me if I'm wrong..TS sounds like a marginal owner who needs to get high loan.

What's the cash on hand and budget for the car?

Any depreciation target?

me too. just bought a short term drive. proton. of 6 months left. now thinking what is the next car to drive.

hate to throw all the cash onto a depreciating product. but due to business nature and sales job. a car would be ideal.

↡ Advertisement