Samsung Note 8

Stratovarius

I havent activated my Samsung Pay on my S8+ yet. My wife ask me to do it cos we going Korea next month and can use it there. She has hers activated on her S8. 

Can Samsung Pay be used in Korea? Like that no need bring too much cash there.

Samsung pay and android pay is just like a credit card except you tap it.

If you are worried, why not just bring a credit card along was well? At least if the stall accepts CC but cannot tap, you can still use it.

↡ Advertisement

Actually I feel the S8 sits nicely between a large screen and feels nice in the palm. However, I used my Mrs' S8 and I don't like the hidden virtual home\app\back keys, have to swipe the bottom upwards to reveal them, and sometimes have to do it few times. I much prefer the physical home button and the dedicated app\back virtual key of my S7. I also use my phone one handed when driving which of cos is a bad habit.

Friend, get a car phone holder.

Dangerous to drive while holding phone la.

I havent activated my Samsung Pay on my S8+ yet. My wife ask me to do it cos we going Korea next month and can use it there. She has hers activated on her S8. 

Can Samsung Pay be used in Korea? Like that no need bring too much cash there.

one phone have can liao why need both phone to activate  [laugh]  [laugh]

Samsung come from korea, if samsung pay cannot use there samthing is wrong  [smash]

one phone have can liao why need both phone to activate  [laugh]  [laugh]

Samsung come from korea, if samsung pay cannot use there samthing is wrong  [smash]

So Samsung Pay is universal. As long as they have the reader, I can use it. Are they as widely used as Alipay(QR code)? Roadside stall also accepts Samsung Pay?

U can have it unhidden and permanently there. Thatz what I do for my S8+. Never got used to it hidden so I have it turned on.

Ok I didn't know that. Will try it out. Thanks to all.

It is not just the Samsung Pay platform. it is the physical transaction hardware (MST) inbuilt into the phone that makes the Samsung Pay more versatile than Android Pay.

Samsung may not be the first phone company to test mobile payments, but a key technology gives it the edge.

It's called MST and it makes your phone look like a big credit card to a store's conventional credit card reader, so it'll work in pretty much any store where you can use your credit card.

MST stands for "magnetic secure transmission," and only Samsung phones are currently using MST for its mobile payment platform called Samsung Pay, which launches September 28 in the US.

To help explain how it works, Tech Insider spoke to Will Graylin, CEO of LoopPay, the company Samsung bought to make Samsung Pay possible. Graylin said the technology involves a tiny metal coil bent into a loop. When electricity passes through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that can talk to standard magnetic credit card readers.

"It emulates exactly what happens when you swipe a card in terms of transmitting data," Graylin said.

So, when you hover your phone over a credit card reader to pay with your phone, MST is "talking the language of the point of sale," as Graylin puts it.

I think most top end phones have the function you mentioned....  Except for samsung pay of course - but you can just use android pay for that.

It is not just the Samsung Pay platform. it is the physical transaction hardware (MST) inbuilt into the phone that makes the Samsung Pay more versatile than Android Pay.

good info. Never knew the difference.

i also prefer samsung pay to Android pay, and now i can;t delete the android pay in my Uber app  [mad]

Thanks for explaining - I can see that Samsung pay is indeed more versatile.

But in terms of actual usage, have you encountered any place where android pay wouldn't have worked and samsung pay did? 

This one is the rest of the article I got the MST information from in the earlier post, should answer your query:

MST is older, but that's what makes it better

LoopPay's MST technology is older than the NFC (near-field communication) technology Apple and Google use for Apple Pay and Android Pay, respectively. But NFC is at a disadvantage.

For one, NFC mobile payments are nowhere near as widely accepted as MST mobile payments because only newer credit card readers are outfitted with NFC. That means a very small fraction of retailers you visit will be able to accept Apple Pay or Android Pay.

What's more, there's little or no incentive for retailers to upgrade their terminals if they don't have NFC. In fact, it would cost retailers with multiple store locations a lot of money to upgrade just to give customers the option to use NFC mobile payments. 

It would make sense to upgrade if people were ditching their wallets for their phones, but they're not. You can't store things like ID cards or public transit passes with any mobile payment platform. 

So, MST wins out here because it doesn't need retailers to upgrade their terminals. 

Then, there's the uncertainty a customer faces of whether or not a store accepts mobile NFC mobile payments. There's little difference between a reader with NFC and one without. You have to check for the tiny affirming symbol on the payment terminal's screen, which is an extra step that people aren't willing to adopt, especially when using regular credit cards isn't a problem that needs to be fixed. It's part of the reason why Apple Pay adoption is decreasing.

MST, on the other hand, doesn't require you to check whether or not the store accepts it. Samsung promises that 90% of retailers accept Samsung Pay. That's essentially a 90% chance that you'll be able to pay with your phone at the next store you walk into. In fact, many stores probably won't even realize that people can use their MST phones to pay.

While that kind of wide acceptance is great, it does pose some problems in certain situations.

MST isn't a wallet-killer
When a store has cashier-facing payment terminals, you can't hand your phone to the cashier like you would a credit card because you need to use your fingerprint to make the mobile payment. And reaching over the counter towards the cashier is an awkward experience for both the cashier and the customer.

MST won't be replacing wallets either because, as mentioned above, you can't store the other cards you might carry around in your wallet, like a driver's license or public transit cards. And there are still many stores that only accept cash.

So far, the only phone with MST are Samsung's latest crop of flagship devices, including the Galaxy S6, S6 Edge, S6 Edge+, and Galaxy Note 5, all of which have the MST hardware built into them. According to the Korea Herald, which spoke with Samsung head of mobile JK  Shin, Samsung will include MST technology in other Samsung smartphones, not just the flagships.

And at the moment, Samsung Pay has only partnered with four banks in the US, including American Express, Bank of America, Citi, and US Bank. However, that number is sure to rise as Samsung Pay starts rolling out on September 28.

I have both Android Pay and Samsung Pay installed and activated in my phone....why will I bother to try Android Pay when the acceptance rate is a subset of Samsung Pay (unless I have alot of time and I die die must use Android Pay)

Thanks for explaining - I can see that Samsung pay is indeed more versatile.

But in terms of actual usage, have you encountered any place where android pay wouldn't have worked and samsung pay did? 

Edited by Vratenza

I have both Android Pay and Samsung Pay installed and activated in my phone....why will I bother to try Android Pay when the acceptance rate is a subset of Samsung Pay (unless I have alot of time and I die die must use Android Pay)

Don't get me wrong. If I had android pay and samsung pay, I'd use samsung pay too for the reasons you mentioned.

But we first came to this topic when you said you would choose a phone based on it having samsung pay. Now, if there's no practical benefits (i.e. you've never encountered a shop that accepts samsung pay but not android pay) then it shouldn't be considered a requirement for your phone.

Twincharged

Don't get me wrong. If I had android pay and samsung pay, I'd use samsung pay too for the reasons you mentioned.

But we first came to this topic when you said you would choose a phone based on it having samsung pay. Now, if there's no practical benefits (i.e. you've never encountered a shop that accepts samsung pay but not android pay) then it shouldn't be considered a requirement for your phone.

Those places that don't have paywave but accept credit card. Samsung can simulate the swipe of the card. So can still use phone to pay.

Erm, to be frank, I never did check out if the shops accept Android Pay too whenever I pay with my Samsung Pay.

As mentioned, based on MST + NFC capability, Samsung phones have higher chance of getting the payment done since currently not all retailers have invested in the NFC terminals. Some of these retailers are still using their MST ready terminals (by just placing my phone to the side of the terminal that they usually swipe the CC). Retailers only taking NETS/Cash no need to say already.

So all in all, in order for me to enjoy the same level of acceptance for cashless/credit cardless mobile payment, going back to Samsung phones makes the most sense. It is not a die die must have feature but a very big plus consideration when it comes with choice of next upgrade.

Edited by Vratenza

Anyone knows the price Singtel is selling Samsung Note 8 without a contract? I'm on Combo 12 plan and has a $500 handset upgrade voucher that can be use. Currently using Apple i7 Plus but the recall of Samsung Note 7 but still prefers a Samsung over an Apple, personal preference and certainly not performance driven. Would be good if someone here can advise me on the price. Thanks all!

Don't think you can use an upgrade voucher without signing a new contract.

The whole idea about upgrade voucher is not to reward customer, it is to suck them back into another 2 yr contract.

Anyone knows the price Singtel is selling Samsung Note 8 without a contract? I'm on Combo 12 plan and has a $500 handset upgrade voucher that can be use. Currently using Apple i7 Plus but the recall of Samsung Note 7 but still prefers a Samsung over an Apple, personal preference and certainly not performance driven. Would be good if someone here can advise me on the price. Thanks all!

• Praise 1

Don't think you can use an upgrade voucher without signing a new contract.

The whole idea about upgrade voucher is not to reward customer, it is to suck them back into another 2 yr contract.

The $500 vouchers is meant for hand set upgrade after every 12 months of contract completion. As such, I would think that it is perfectly fine for me to use them on hand sets without contract.

• Praise 1

Those places that don't have paywave but accept credit card. Samsung can simulate the swipe of the card. So can still use phone to pay.

How to swipe a s8 thru the narrow slot of a credit card reader? Unless it works by proximity to the reader.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1