Got bicycle, will travel.

The_Bear

Something to add though I am not a cyclst. The front light to see ahead topic. Kindly advice cyclist to point it towards to ground ahead instead of straight ahead. As a jogger it is quite annoying to have those cree lamp shining directly in your eyes

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

hopefully i can minimise this. I got my girl a balance bike. She's improved with it significantly this year (turning 5). Probably can just forgo the training wheels and get her a real bicycle next year.

My back is quite chui, better do more back exercises train up first  [laugh]

For back issue best is go swimming.Can everyday,normally correct very soon.But stop exercise may go back same i think since you have this.

I thought changi village is a place where men look like girls.

How come it is the opposite for you?

I was 16,so that was the impression.Now .......

girls look like men = safe ...  

men look like girls... now thats dangerous ... at changi....    that area is far too fencing prone.. 

fencing prone is simi

• Praise 1

Something to add though I am not a cyclst. The front light to see ahead topic. Kindly advice cyclist to point it towards to ground ahead instead of straight ahead. As a jogger it is quite annoying to have those cree lamp shining directly in your eyes

Yeah, that is a problem. Some cyclists like to blast their lights even in lighted areas. But sometimes it can be due to elevation difference. For night joggers, it helps cyclists alot when they put on a mini clip light that blinks. Some people go jogging at night in ninja suits.

when i cycle along the countryside in vietnam on uneven and narrow route, experience cyclist can tackle all terrain in confident and relax way but i was so tensed. Anyway after a while when you start to enjoy the scenery, you feel more confident.

Let me add on my insights:

4) Accessories

Saddle bag:  Keep 1 tube & tire lever in it.  Learn how to change tube.  You don't want to stuck somewhere in the outback & no response from CAB.  Buy a good hand pump (i recommend Leyzne MicroFloor drive HPG).

Helmet:  Invest in something expensive for better cooling & light weight.  The cheaper a helmet is, the less cooling effect it has and also heavier

Bike computer:  Can use mobile phone as bike computer.  If necessary, buy GPS build in unit.  Otherwise, don't bother.

7) Make a plan, go somewhere.

For me, i always start from home & go somewhere.  I think it is a waste of time to transport the bike to somewhere & starts. 

8) and finally, be safe and ride safe.

Start early (like dawn) when traffic is light.  Plan your route on light traffic roads.  Avoid main trunk road as much as possible.

• Praise 8

please dun turn a professional cycling thread into a amateur 'teach me how to cycle' thread ok! [mad]

i use to run behind holding the back seat of the bicycle when kids riding, most of them can balance and cycle within 2 hours :D now old liao cannot catch up [laugh][laugh]

That's how I teach my daughters cycling when they start learning. Running behind holding their bicycle.

Tried with my working colleagues.

Took a 7.30 am ferry from Changi Ferry Terminal to Pengerang Ferry terminal (JB). Cycle to Kota Tinggi town (reaching at 11.00am).

Spend 2 hrs breaks there and rode all the way back to the last ferry at Pengerang at 5.30 pm.  :dizzy: 

Backside sibey jia liak  :=B: 

• Praise 3

when i cycle along the countryside in vietnam on uneven and narrow route, experience cyclist can tackle all terrain in confident and relax way but i was so tensed. Anyway after a while when you start to enjoy the scenery, you feel more confident.

that's when you fall down  [laugh]

hopefully i can minimise this. I got my girl a balance bike. She's improved with it significantly this year (turning 5). Probably can just forgo the training wheels and get her a real bicycle next year.

My back is quite chui, better do more back exercises train up first  [laugh]

Both my children started with balance bike. When their legs are long enough, get them the smallest and lightest available bicycle so that their legs can touch the ground when they sat down. 

From there get them to run with the bike and slowly and surely, if they have enough GRITs, they will succeed.

• Praise 3

wah Hi Five. But i better learn before my daughter does. Or else malu max  [laugh]

you can either start with training wheels Or get a tricycle  [laugh]  [laugh]

But jokes aside . . . I always thot cycling is a built in skill but how wrong I was.

I cycle very well when I was a youngster and I only got my first bike just last year, a folding bike.

Been telling my wife and son how easy it was to cycle and brought them to BB Nature Park.

Mounted on bike and struggled to pedal immediately, swerved in a zig zag manner and wah very wobbly leh . . travelled 10 meters and crashed into the bush . . . and yeah, both of them laughing until tears in the eyes.  [:p]

• Praise 4

But jokes aside . . . I always thot cycling is a built in skill but how wrong I was.

I cycle very well when I was a youngster and I only got my first bike just last year, a folding bike.

Been telling my wife and son how easy it was to cycle and brought them to BB Nature Park.

Mounted on bike and struggled to pedal immediately, swerved in a zig zag manner and wah very wobbly leh . . travelled 10 meters and crashed into the bush . . . and yeah, both of them laughing until tears in the eyes.  [:p]

My wife hasn't cycled in years. she got one of those bike rentals when it first came out months ago and had free rental.

Fell down and skinned her knee. Now have a scar.

Pengerang to Kota Tinggi is sibei far, and many up and downs. Since you're there, might as well ride a bit farther North to Kiang Kee BKT. [laugh] [laugh] 

Second trip 4 months later, they rode to Desaru.

I said 'no thanks' ..  :wacko: 

Once enough ...  :grin: 

• Praise 1

Let me add on my insights:

4) Accessories

Saddle bag: Keep 1 tube & tire lever in it. Learn how to change tube. You don't want to stuck somewhere in the outback & no response from CAB. Buy a good hand pump (i recommend Leyzne MicroFloor drive HPG).

Helmet: Invest in something expensive for better cooling & light weight. The cheaper a helmet is, the less cooling effect it has and also heavier

Bike computer: Can use mobile phone as bike computer. If necessary, buy GPS build in unit. Otherwise, don't bother.

7) Make a plan, go somewhere.

For me, i always start from home & go somewhere. I think it is a waste of time to transport the bike to somewhere & starts.

8) and finally, be safe and ride safe.

Start early (like dawn) when traffic is light. Plan your route on light traffic roads. Avoid main trunk road as much as possible.

The Pro has spoken. Please share with us more your 2 wheels experience.

I second this.

Never use training wheels and never hold the handle bars to teach kids how to cycle.

They can manage 2 wheels better than you think.

Slightly hold their shoulders if you are too protective.

Start off from even surface preferably with a slight decent.

Let them roll off from the decent.

My son started off with training wheels, but had great difficulty riding on two wheels. He almost gave up.

My daughter started off with 2 wheels and she managed to cycle within a week.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3