Got bicycle, will travel.

The_Bear

We have 3 folding bikes. 2 Aleoca, and one polygon. Seldom ride them.

If my son wanna bike during a family pcn outing, we just rent a obike. Lazy to bring out the folding bike.

now every park connector you go can find some obike park along side, dun have to go marine parade to rent bicycle liao. Some more and pick up and drop off at any place, any time you like, no need to worry about time and rush to return   [laugh]

↡ Advertisement

Some of us the first bike was always too big, and had to insert one leg under the top bar of an adult bike!

Happiest day was when i got a used:

attachicon.gifyour_n32.jpg

SWEE!! My dream bike.

My cousin had one when we were kids . . . . he's from rich family.

I only bought my first bike aged half-a-century old  [laugh]

Some of us the first bike was always too big, and had to insert one leg under the top bar of an adult bike!

Happiest day was when i got a used:

attachicon.gifyour_n32.jpg

bro, where you buy from?  :wub:

First bike I used to ride everywhere was a urata bike. Rode it from Primary school all the way till I was in poly. Cheap and heavy. Had a few accidents on that bike. Worst one was riding head on into a car in a carpark when I was Primary 3 or 4. Flew over the car, broke off the guy's front bumper and dented his bonnet. I think the guy was in shock and never say anything even after I picked up my bike and rode off.

Bent the frame when I was in sec 2 by riding into a wall. Continued riding with the bent frame for the next 3 years then I decided to save up and got a proper hardtail MTB.

orrrhh!! Hit-and-run  [smash]

• Praise 1

now every park connector you go can find some obike park along side, dun have to go marine parade to rent bicycle liao. Some more and pick up and drop off at any place, any time you like, no need to worry about time and rush to return   [laugh]

i tried the oBike recently... rode about 1km to coffeeshop to dabao dinner. make full use of the basket.

but it's so heavy and cumbersome, my hips hurt immediately after a few pedals. and i find it hard to balance and control also.

refunded my deposit after that one and only ride (which was free with the given credits anyway)  [laugh]

wah, just when i posted my bike for sale on MCF marketplace, i see this thread.

i used to ride every week, and like how i like to mod cars, i like to experience different bikes. so i had 5 bikes in 3 years (bought and sold) lol. First bike was an Eddy Merckx, then a Bianchi Oltre, a Colnago C59, a Focus Cayo and then my current Storck.

Each bike gives a different feel, especially chionging up the slopes of NUS and Lor Sesuai, or sprinting through the straights of Changi Coastal Road. I loved the Bianchi best for its design in signature "Celeste" colour and my Storck for its performance - it's good for chionging!

Round island rides gave me so much insight about places in Singapore that i've not gone before. Lor Sesuai, Rifle Range Rd, end of old Punggol, LCK etc. Took some nice pix with some excellent scenery.

Enjoyed the group camaraderie of riding, and was crazy enough to draft behind a truck at more than 50kmh along Upper Bukit Timah Road.

But alas, I am giving up cycling as my hips somehow hurt after i did the 168km NTU bike rally in march this year. Walking and running is fine, but when doing the pedaling action it hurts.

Therefore, i'm letting go of my baby, a custom build with only high end parts which i did just for the 168 distance. MCF bros get a discount :)

mods sorry if i flouted any rules.. please edit if you deem fit.

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?app=sgcarstore&req=showprod&product=118758&fr=postad

attachicon.gifstorck - full.jpeg

Wow. That is one serious bike with serous components. Sorry to hear about your injuries. Perhaps some rehab and less intensive riding would see u back on the saddle again soon. Good luck.

Wow. That is one serious bike with serous components. Sorry to hear about your injuries. Perhaps some rehab and less intensive riding would see u back on the saddle again soon. Good luck.

thank you sir. i stlil have my Tern foldie at home for recreational rides at PCN.

my injury is not serious, just irritating cos it only happens when i pedal. can feel the grinding motion.

but when i run or do my core exercises.. it doesn't hurt.

and.. i'm lazy to wake up at 4+ to go ride liao  [laugh]

so why not let my bike go to another cyclist who can appreciate it and use it to its full potential right  [nod]

How to fit the bike into the taxi? Got such services?

Remove front wheel and the bike will be able to fit in the trunk/boot. Then taxi uncle will tie the elastic band on the boot as it cant fully close. Those were the days I was too shacked and hail a taxi home. That time it was toyota crown taxi.

Subscribed!!!

I used to cycle to all over SG on Saturdays, way back in 1998 to 2002.

I just took out my Hachiko foldable bike to pump the tires and rode in circles around my living room last sunday. This bike is brand new since 4 years ago!!! Havent touch the floor outside my front door. Bought it and always wanted to try cycling on the PCN but gave up.

You might be interested to visit this place.

http://shimanocyclingworld.com

Entrance is FOC

How to fit the bike into the taxi? Got such services?

The PCN in Sembawang is pretty much complete and connected to Woodlands, Mandai and Yishun.

Take out the front wheel. should be okay.

If still cannot then take out rear wheel.

Don't need foldie.

• Praise 2

First bike I used to ride everywhere was a urata bike. Rode it from Primary school all the way till I was in poly. Cheap and heavy. Had a few accidents on that bike. Worst one was riding head on into a car in a carpark when I was Primary 3 or 4. Flew over the car, broke off the guy's front bumper and dented his bonnet. I think the guy was in shock and never say anything even after I picked up my bike and rode off.

Bent the frame when I was in sec 2 by riding into a wall. Continued riding with the bent frame for the next 3 years then I decided to save up and got a proper hardtail MTB.

Was active riding bikes during my younger days. Even got handcuffed and ended up in Ma Ta Chu.

Cause last time when see radio car all my Friends run, I also run, but Kenna caught. Hiaz, dunno why run. End up my mom got to bail me out...

i tried the oBike recently... rode about 1km to coffeeshop to dabao dinner. make full use of the basket.

but it's so heavy and cumbersome, my hips hurt immediately after a few pedals. and i find it hard to balance and control also.

refunded my deposit after that one and only ride (which was free with the given credits anyway) [laugh]

Same here. Tried it just to experience. Too heavy, make me feel even more tired and the handlebar also not properly centred.

My friend rented an obike to cycle with me from east coast to Changi village. One quarter way through he gave up and I continued myself.

Obike all these good for short point A to B.

Obike, Mobike only good for short distance ride from home to MRT station.

That's normally what I do.

Long distance can die. 

• Praise 1

Long distance can die. 

worth it meh? how much is it? 1 buck for 30 mins? 

I take feeder bus from mrt only 2 cents  :D

I take feeder bus from mrt only 2 cents  :D

Only use it when it's free else I just walk. 

Whole of July and August free.

Sometimes weekend free.

[:p]

Edited by Fcw75

thank you sir. i stlil have my Tern foldie at home for recreational rides at PCN.

my injury is not serious, just irritating cos it only happens when i pedal. can feel the grinding motion.

but when i run or do my core exercises.. it doesn't hurt.

and.. i'm lazy to wake up at 4+ to go ride liao  [laugh]

so why not let my bike go to another cyclist who can appreciate it and use it to its full potential right  [nod]

I think that is over-exertion.Sometime a injury can be rectified in simply way.But untreated can last for yrs.Best seek diagnosis.

Long distance can die.

How about ofo bike, it looks like the lightest among the three bike sharing companies.

I take feeder bus from mrt only 2 cents :D

People want to exercise mah.

But I usually walk from mrt station

How about ofo bike, it looks like the lightest among the three bike sharing companies.

People want to exercise mah.

But I usually walk from mrt station

Ofo hard to find, always use by students. Their technology is much simpler but recently they upgraded already.

Read the comparison:

http://www.todayonline.com/lifestyle/battle-bikes-ofo-vs-obike-vs-mobike

Edited by Fcw75

dun play play...100 million bikes by 2030

business still burning investor cash but already considered a successful multi millionaire entrepreneur

:D

CNA Insider

You won’t last 3 days, they told ofo co-founder, now a multimillionaire at 25

BEIJING: When Dai Wei founded ofo with his fellow Peking University cycling club members in 2014, they had only 400 yuan (US$60) in the bank.

“When I look back on the last 12 and 24 months, it was full of difficulties. I suffered every day (plagued) by different problems,” said the 25-year-old CEO of one of China’s largest bike-sharing companies.

Three years on, what started out as a passion for cycling and a desire for a more environmentally-friendly mode of public transportation has become a multi-national company worth over US$1 billion.

Ofo now has a fleet of more than six million xiao huang che, or “little yellow bikes”, worldwide, with app users making 25 million trips a day.

On the interview programme Conversation With (watch the episode here), Dai Wei said that ofo is expected to break even by this year, and will start earning a profit by 2018. 

Ofo now has a fleet of more than 6 million yellow bicycles.

Its business model’s success has attracted big-name investors like Alibaba and Chinese ride-sharing giant Didi Chuxing. Earlier this month (July), ofo raised more than US$700 million in a round of fundings.

Ofo’s success is part of the global bike-sharing boom in recent years. In China alone, there are at least six major bike-sharing companies. Fellow Chinese bike-sharing start-up Mobike, which launched in 2015, is also valued at more than US$1 billion and has got investors like tech juggernaut Tencent.

CONVINCING THE SCEPTICS

But the road to success was not an easy one – Dai Wei’s family and friends were initially sceptical of his vision.

“At that time, all of my teachers, my classmates and even my family – they didn’t believe we could survive for three days,” recounted the young man who graduated from Peking University’s Guanghua School of Management just last year.

“They told me, ‘if you put the bikes on the streets, all the bikes will be stolen in three days. So you won't be able to survive for three days.’”

It also took more than one-and-a-half years for Dai Wei to convince his parents of ofo’s viability.

“Every time I came home, my parents and I would have a long conversation about whether I should get an internship in some big company, or apply for a full-time job or start a business. We talked about it until the end of last year,” he said.

“OFO IS GOING TO BE LIKE ANDROID”

The streets of many big Chinese cities like Beijing are now clogged with hundreds and thousands of brightly-coloured bikes, which are mostly provided by the various bike-sharing apps trying to increase their market share.

However, bike-sharing companies are facing pushback – some see the sheer number of bikes on the streets as a public nuisance. In March, thousands of illegally parked bicycles were impounded in Shanghai.

Bike-sharing is booming in major cities of China like Beijing.

Similarly, in Singapore, authorities have also impounded more than 100 errantly parked bikes from bike-sharing companies.

Despite tightened regulations, the cut-throat race to win over users to the app is still a numbers game – and Dai Wei has devised a plan to win.

The self-professed idealist sees ofo’s future as a platform for other bike-sharing companies to manage their business.

An example would be in Hangzhou, where ofo is working with a local bike-sharing company called Qibei, Dai Wei noted. In the city, people can use ofo’s app to scan and unlock Qibei’s bikes.

“Ofo is going to be like Android,” Dai Wei predicted.

“We will provide the standard API to different local bike sharing companies … we have the management system ability because we manage six million bikes now, and no other companies can manage that many bikes and they don’t have experience.”

Dai Wei thinks ofo can provide other bike-sharing firms with the management system ability and experience that no other has.
IT’S ALL NUMBERS

When asked if ofo’s business model was a sustainable one given the frequent reports of stolen or vandalised bikes, Dai Wei said that “all the things are numbers, are maths”.

In June, a 14-year-old was arrested in Singapore for allegedly throwing an ofo bike from a high-rise building.

Said Dai Wei matter-of-factly: “We have to calculate everything: What percentage of the bikes may be stolen, or broken up. If you calculate everything in your model, you can have a number for the profit. And now after two years of operation, I can say our business model has really worked.”

His vision?

“100 million bikes by 2030,” Dai Wei said with a big toothy grin.

↡ Advertisement