Firms on watch list for unfair employment practices

Sdf4786k

Can't say I do actually. I've worked for foreign firms all my career but have not experienced this (1 stint was even a rotation in HR)

In no particular order:

1. Chinese firm: Bosses all from PRC. 40-60% mix of expats and locals. Don't see that they purposely try to get rid of locals - in fact, the expats do most of the heavy lifting but of course they also have more benefits. Office based here for tax and network purpose

2. Italian firm: Medium size firm with Italian/French bosses. Regional HR dir was foreign but HR manager below was local. Strong preference for local/PR hires from the HR end. Heads of various depts mostly italians and french as well with limited preference on nationality of their hires. Most just want someone to do the job

3. Huge American firm: Project that I was in mainly remote controlled by indians from Aust/Bangalore. Local hires preferred by HR. No race preference either.

4. Korean firm: Small SG office with korean boss. 80% of the employees are local SG but in the past, they did have a strong preference for korean nationals. In any case, the job in this office can actually be done in korea. They just based the office/HQ here for tax purpose.

wah you managed to work in 4 companies in 6-7 years?

must be high flyer .... min 30% increment every jump

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Boss. 2 of the companies I worked in closed down SG operations leh.

30%? I even took a pay cut for one move (50$ pay cut but still !!!). If you are hiring, let me know. 25% increment can liao.

you won't wanna work for my ah gong one

i worked so many years still cannot afford any atas ec unlike you

I just hope that those that are discriminated have a voice to be provided and Min of Manpower has a listening ear and not think that the reports are whiners and xenophobic.

After all, So many firms under the watch list, I am sure there are twice that amount that goes unreported or go under the radar by having the people hired as contractors.

Probably a big stick approached and flag a company who is blatant will do the trick. But as you probably know, these big company are also saying, if you make it so difficult to operate, we will move out of Singapore.

So if say a Bank with 2000 employees. 1500 of those are hired under the contracting entity, you literally get away with it.

Looks like FT also have poor opinion of our MIW

http://www.expatsingapore.com/forum/index.php?topic=105189.120

Don't be such a naive person... Nothing is being done to enforce all these nice sounding rules, and its all just for show by the Singaporean politicians, ministers and their overpaid civil servants to demonstrate that they are doing something to fix the mess (which they created in the past 20 years). I have yet to see a single person jailed for these ofences, i have yet to see any senior bamkers fromthe two banks in Singapore with an overwhelming number of foreigners especially India Indians (one bank starts with the letter D and the other with S) get punished for the systematic hollowing out of an entire generation of Singaporean bankers through discriminatory hiring practices. Just look at the number of western and India Indian professionals in Singapore's banking, marine, IT and other sectors and you will know how bad the situation is.

The beauty of it is that no one, not one of our so called elites and natural aristocrats will be held accountable for this collossal failure. On the contrary they will comtinue to be rewarded with massive recession and retrenchment proof paychecks.

Not sure if this is fake news

NEW DELHI: While the focus has been on the US, visas for IT professionals to work in Singapore have dropped "to a trickle", prompting the government to put on hold the review of the Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (CECA) citing violation of the trade pact.

With Indian companies being advised to hire local talent, they are looking at relocating some of their operations to other countries in the region. From HCL and TCS, which were the early movers to Singapore, the list has expanded to include Infosys, Wipro, Cognizant and L&T Infotech.

"This (visa problem) has been lingering for a while but since early-2016, visas are down to a trickle. All Indian companies have received communication on fair consideration, which basically means hiring local people," Nasscom president R Chandrashekhar told TOI. For all practical purposes, visas have stopped for our people, added another industry executive. Prompted by problems for IT and the banking sector — where there is lack of transparency on the capital requirement, the Indian government has now decided against expanding the scope of goods where import duties would be cut unless the concerns of domestic industry are addressed.

Sources told TOI that Singapore authorities were insisting on what is called "economic needs test" (ENT), which requires compliance with certain economic criteria, to deny access to Indian professionals. "They are doing it despite the CECA clearly stating that there will be no ENT or quotas on agreed services. This is a violation of the agreement," said an Indian officer, who did not wish to be identified due to the ongoing negotiations.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

(edited)

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/500-companies-moms-watch-list-not-doing-enough-hire-groom-sporeans

From 250 to 500, and still warning?

Seems like more could be done to improve the employment landscape of Singaporean.

SINGAPORE — Some 500 companies have been placed on a government watch list for not doing enough to hire Singaporeans, double the 250 on the list this time last year, said Manpower Minister Lim Swee Say on Monday (March 5) as he warned that such firms will be taken to task.

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 2

250 to 500???

Taken to task...?

Next year will be 1000 on the watch list?

Whoa!!!!! Long time no see!!!!!! :XD:

(edited)

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/manpower/500-firms-marked-for-bias-towards-hiring-foreigners

Such "triple weak" companies - which hire a high proportion of foreigners, have no plans to recruit more Singaporeans and contribute little to the economy - have their Employment Pass (EP) applications scrutinised more closely.

But of the remaining 350 companies on the list, 60 have not been cooperative and showed no sign of improvement.

"We have curtailed their work pass privileges," said Mr Lim. This means that they have had no new EP applications approved and no renewal of existing EPs.

When asked, the Manpower Ministry declined to give more details of the firms on the watchlist, including the common industries they are in.

Looks like the G Man has their hands tied and not able to proceed with tougher penalty, else there is nothing much that can be done about it.

Already the widespread practices of hiring outsource contractors and paying a premium to place them at the client site should have being strongly discourage.

Wonder if EDMW would be able to CSI the 60 firms or not. I guess even have droop nipper would kick in.

Edited by Sdf4786k

If these so called 500 companies are mostly SMEs and can only afford to hire cheap labour, who is going to come forward and take on the jobs?

Taken to task? What? Force the companies into a corner untill they close shop?

I mean if this is the way to solve the issue and if the numbers of such companies keep rising what will happen to Singapore next?

Instead of looking into what made the 100% jump they want to deal with such companies. Way to go. Will this be a short term fix or long term solution?

"World most expensive city". Try starting a small business and hire locals. See how expensive it can get. It doesn't take a math genius to figure out what the root cause of the problem really is.

• Praise 1

i just have a simple question...  so many non locals are working in the F&B industries....   how many of them are really paid $2200 per month?

• Praise 1

i just have a simple question... so many non locals are working in the F&B industries.... how many of them are really paid $2200 per month?

Sometimes don’t know is better

If not 3 meals get more expensive :XD:

• Praise 1

If these so called 500 companies are mostly SMEs and can only afford to hire cheap labour, who is going to come forward and take on the jobs?

Taken to task? What? Force the companies into a corner untill they close shop?

I mean if this is the way to solve the issue and if the numbers of such companies keep rising what will happen to Singapore next?

Instead of looking into what made the 100% jump they want to deal with such companies. Way to go. Will this be a short term fix or long term solution?

"World most expensive city". Try starting a small business and hire locals. See how expensive it can get. It doesn't take a math genius to figure out what the root cause of the problem really is.

We must separate the conversation and define the people that are affected.

We must separate the conversation and define the people that are affected.

If the person representing the workers go to the parliament and not show the whole picture say what also no use.

↡ Advertisement