Firms on watch list for unfair employment practices

Sdf4786k

(edited)

Sometimes don’t know is better

If not 3 meals get more expensive :XD:

I believe they are not referring to the typical food server or maid agencies or construction workers or bus drivers.

The companies on the watchlist come from various sectors and include placement agencies, he said.

"They have the pre-conceived idea that local PMETs (professionals, managers, executives and technicians) are either unable or unwilling to do the job, so they write them off without even considering them fairly," he said.

Placement agencies or the contractor company or in layman speak , snakehead usually are use as a conduit to get the head count that the hiring company wants.

So Company ABC wants to hire a person that they want to bring in from some asian country. They identify already. Pass the contact after doing the screening to the agencies.

Agencies then bypass the hiring quota and use this route to bill to the company and earn 1 to 2 K permonth depending on the salary .

The Employee then is place at the ABC company.

In theory, and in practice, a big company like a financial institution can have as much as 40 contracting entity to paypass this quota rules. 

There were many a time when eyes raised on consultant fees and a closer look at this practice was scrutinised.

Edited by Sdf4786k
↡ Advertisement

I believe they are not referring to the typical food server or maid agencies or construction workers or bus drivers.

The companies on the watchlist come from various sectors and include placement agencies, he said.

"They have the pre-conceived idea that local PMETs (professionals, managers, executives and technicians) are either unable or unwilling to do the job, so they write them off without even considering them fairly," he said.

Placement agencies or the contractor company or in layman speak , snakehead usually are use as a conduit to get the head count that the hiring company wants.

So Company ABC wants to hire a person that they want to bring in from some asian country. They identify already. Pass the contact after doing the screening to the agencies.

Agencies then use the hiring quota to bill to the company and earn 1 to 2 K permonth depending on the salary .

The Employee then is place at the ABC company.

In theory, and in practice, a big company like a financial institution can have as much as 40 contracting entity to paypass this quota rules. 

There were many a time when eyes raised on consultant fees and a closer look at this practice was scrutinised.

And who do you think approach these recruitment agencies when they submit the requirements of the workers they want to hire?

If they expose the companies who approach them do you think it's only 500 companies this person is talking about?

This is only the tip of the iceberg.

• Praise 1

And who do you think approach these recruitment agencies when they submit the requirements of the workers they want to hire?

If they expose the companies who approach them do you think it's only 500 companies this person is talking about?

This is only the tip of the iceberg.

If you meant this, I think thats just unfortunate practice that was brought to light.

From 2001 to around 2014, millions of dollars in bribes were disguised as large commissions to a consultant in Brazil under legitimate consulting agreements. 

These illicit payments, made to bank accounts in and out of the US under the names of shell companies controlled by the consultant, were then transferred to bank accounts elsewhere and into the pockets of Petrobras officials and politicians at the then-governing Workers' Party in Brazil. 

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/keppel-o-m-bribery-case-what-you-need-to-know-9836154

If you meant this, I think thats just unfortunate practice that was brought to light.

From 2001 to around 2014, millions of dollars in bribes were disguised as large commissions to a consultant in Brazil under legitimate consulting agreements. 

These illicit payments, made to bank accounts in and out of the US under the names of shell companies controlled by the consultant, were then transferred to bank accounts elsewhere and into the pockets of Petrobras officials and politicians at the then-governing Workers' Party in Brazil. 

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/keppel-o-m-bribery-case-what-you-need-to-know-9836154

Ppl know why they don't want to bring this up for discussion. It will only shed bad light on the govt.

So Company ABC wants to hire a person that they want to bring in from some asian country. They identify already. Pass the contact after doing the screening to the agencies.

Agencies then bypass the hiring quota and use this route to bill to the company and earn 1 to 2 K permonth depending on the salary .

The Employee then is place at the ABC company.

In theory, and in practice, a big company like a financial institution can have as much as 40 contracting entity to paypass this quota rules.

There were many a time when eyes raised on consultant fees and a closer look at this practice was scrutinised.

I don’t want to hear any complaints any more ah :XD:

Hypersonic

they are so confident of the next elections..........

they even tell you that GST would be raised after that

so sit back and suck thumb lah

:XD:

• Praise 1

If these so called 500 companies are mostly SMEs and can only afford to hire cheap labour, who is going to come forward and take on the jobs?

Taken to task? What? Force the companies into a corner untill they close shop?

I mean if this is the way to solve the issue and if the numbers of such companies keep rising what will happen to Singapore next?

Instead of looking into what made the 100% jump they want to deal with such companies. Way to go. Will this be a short term fix or long term solution?

"World most expensive city". Try starting a small business and hire locals. See how expensive it can get. It doesn't take a math genius to figure out what the root cause of the problem really is.

i believe the HR issues is not only about hiring cheap labour, yes it could the main consideration. second issue is errr..... HR problem, if they need 50 workers to do something quite routine, what they want is these 50 people come and do their job everyday with least problem.

Hiring 50 different local could have 50 different set of problems, then the fighting among the staff, complain, back stab, why-he-can-but-i-cannot, etc. Then again having 50 people from the same kampong, they are here for only ONE priority, work and FO, all under same contract terms, no mc, no internal fighting, etc.

(edited)

i believe the HR issues is not only about hiring cheap labour, yes it could the main consideration. second issue is errr..... HR problem, if they need 50 workers to do something quite routine, what they want is these 50 people come and do their job everyday with least problem.

Hiring 50 different local could have 50 different set of problems, then the fighting among the staff, complain, back stab, why-he-can-but-i-cannot, etc. Then again having 50 people from the same kampong, they are here for only ONE priority, work and FO, all under same contract terms, no mc, no internal fighting, etc.

I believe its no longer cheap labour.

I used to hire systems admin. They are paid max 5k to 6 k with 7 years experience and certified.

Now is OMG 

LEAD SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR

D14 Geylang, Eunos

5 year(s) $10,000 - $12,000 (monthly)

best part is , this is just to meet the rules of two weeks or as they say in HR practice 3 quotes one hit.

I would imagine the job not going to a local, But I could be wrong as well.

Edited by Sdf4786k

Turbocharged

If you have dealing with FT and even other S pass people, not difficult to note that skill level isn't up to mark. Willingness to work and do more, they beat Singaporean hands down.

What I cannot understand is, why are company allowed to have so many FT? Arent there quota set regardless of position. I frequently hear local has no matching skill level, I wonder how they evaluate FT skill level. Maybe I have met all the wrong people but my dealing doesn't convince me majority are skilled FT leh.

I believe its no longer cheap labour.

I used to hire systems admin. They are paid max 5k to 6 k with 7 years experience and certified.

Now is OMG

LEAD SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR

D14 Geylang, Eunos

5 year(s) $10,000 - $12,000 (monthly)

best part is , this is just to meet the rules of two weeks or as they say in HR practice 3 quotes one hit.

I would imagine the job not going to a local, But I could be wrong as well.

So easy.

Straight away 5 figure salary

So now at least people will believe me when i say $5000 per mth is poor

Turbocharged

Whoa!!!!! Long time no see!!!!!! :XD:

Yah man. Last year, kenna assigned another role to clear crap. Told myself to tahan for 1 year and see how, nothing changed, threw letter and got another role.

Yah man. Last year, kenna assigned another role to clear crap. Told myself to tahan for 1 year and see how, nothing changed, threw letter and got another role.

They always need people to clear crap one :(

Turbocharged

They always need people to clear crap one :(

Yeah but when the employer start taking things for granted...employees (with a fcuk you fund) will throw letter, sometimes at the worst possible timing,then you see the HOD scrambling to put out a fire that he cluld have prevented with lesser effort.

Yeah but when the employer start taking things for granted...employees (with a fcuk you fund) will throw letter, sometimes at the worst possible timing,then you see the HOD scrambling to put out a fire that he cluld have prevented with lesser effort.

They just look for the next boxer the horse :grin:

Boxers like us are disposable

:(

(edited)

Looks like a hike from 350 to over 1000 companies now for discriminating singaporean for hiring.

no wonder grab got no problems getting singaporean to drive grab.

As a guide , looks like if these 1000 firms were not caught, 3000 singaporean would have been without jobs. Finally, looks like MOM is getting to terms with fair hiring for singaporean. Kudos to them.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/firms-discriminatory-hiring-practices-fcf-watchlist-mom-12494898

SINGAPORE: About 1,000 companies have been placed on the Fair Consideration Framework (FCF) Watchlist after being suspected of discriminatory hiring practices, Manpower Minister Josephine Teo said in Parliament. 

Some of these are employers with an exceptionally high share of foreign professionals, managers, executives and technicians (PMETs) compared to their industry peers, or high concentrations of single nationalities, she explained in her Committee of Supply speech on Tuesday (Mar 3).

added to that , I suppose the easy way to bypass these practices by hiring at Sgd15001 so now have been updated as wee.

Job positions with salaries of S$15,000 and above are currently exempted from the FCF job advertising requirement.

This threshold was last updated in July 2018. From May 1, MOM will expand the advertising requirement to include positions paying up to $20,000. 

Positions that are more senior remain exempted as they are more likely to be market-sensitive, said Mrs Teo. 

Edited by Sdf4786k

Turbocharged
55 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

Job positions with salaries of S$15,000 and above are currently exempted from the FCF job advertising requirement.

Now i know why Ramesh was here...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1