COE Bidding – 1st Round of September 2017

Carbon82

Got it. Thanks, Doppel!

Was talking to a helpful owner/director/salesperson of a pretty popular PI here (again, online) and concluded that the main risk in this instance of a definite reduction in rebate, is not very different from what it is today - that of COE rising, or rather, not reducing by a proportionate quantum to offset the loss of rebate.

Given that you get back 5K "extra" at the end of the 10th year, then, the COE must reduce by 5K when the new rules set in in order to make one's wait 'worth while' - So cat A at 31K. Possible? I think so, but seems much less probable.

The are many other models in the market to affect the COE price, some have -$20k cevs now but going to become $0 under the new system, some will get slapped more when it is $0 now , and some stay flat. It is difficult to predict the impact/benefit of VES to the COE price.

l'm not a Subaru owner but from a technical view point; boxer engine is superior to all other inline engines because they are inherently balanced (less vibrations and internal stresses). no one really builds them that way mostly due to cost savings. Only Porsche and Subaru still making boxer engines, I think.

K20A3 are great everyday engine.

I owned and drove a boxer engined Alfa for 7 years.

So I know better.

Inherently balanced yada yada ... sure.

But better reliability (the sub topic discussed with previous poster) than IL engines?

???

The K20A is a great everyday IL engine and reliable too

Edited by merc280v6

Ok. Haven't owned BMW or merc :)

Yeah, think for Subaru - their engines are generally expected to last longer than the other Japanese cars. My Japanese Friend said Subaru has this reputation in Japan.

Toyota and Honda overtake Subaru in the world lah, even in Japan or even in Singapore. Especially true when you want to sell your second car to dealers, they always claimed difficult to sell. Worst, some countries never heard of this brand.

But I am not saying this is a no good car. It is a good car but some how or dunno how they lack the exposure  compared to other brands.

Edited by Renegade777

Got it. Thanks, Doppel!

Was talking to a helpful owner/director/salesperson of a pretty popular PI here (again, online) and concluded that the main risk in this instance of a definite reduction in rebate, is not very different from what it is today - that of COE rising, or rather, not reducing by a proportionate quantum to offset the loss of rebate.

Given that you get back 5K "extra" at the end of the 10th year, then, the COE must reduce by 5K when the new rules set in in order to make one's wait 'worth while' - So cat A at 31K. Possible? I think so, but seems much less probable.

If no car now, Buy before 31 Dec.

If have car < 12 months left, can wait since existing car can't get back much.

Maybe by next year, have new models that meet the rebate.

AD already priced in the potential $10k by increasing their margin.

Example, Honda Odyssey. Was selling at $140k earlier this year.

Now, it is going at $149k with about the same level of COE.

They called it face lifted. But just marketing gimmick.

The are many other models in the market to affect the COE price, some have -$20k cevs now but going to become $0 under the new system, some will get slapped more when it is $0 now , and some stay flat. It is difficult to predict the impact/benefit of VES to the COE price.

For cars in the same segment, those models with VES rebate would have a price advantage.

Ceteris paribus, these models should attract more interest and hence able to bid for COE more aggressively.

However, buying cars is an emotional experience sometimes, and the VES rebate may not translate into a competitive advantage.

In other words, LPPL, I also don't know how COE levels would play out in 2018. [laugh]

Indeed good observation.  I had a leaky BMW before..... mileage was 30K plus only when it leaked oil.  And aircon evaporator too leaked. 

Other cars will eventually leak, BUT after 100K or more.  Volvo aircons never ever leak though.Hah

Haha bro,

You said bmw so lousy.

Do you know cscxx driving one?He buy cash you know anot?No loan you know anot?

if my memory serves me well... you are a lady?

becoz my wife... aka CFO aka the true boss .... said the exact same thing...

and i signed...

Bro better go check whether your wife using a nick name 'Doppel' in MCF or not. :secret-laugh:
  • Praise 2

Bro better go check whether your wife using a nick name 'Doppel' in MCF or not. :secret-laugh:

As Michael Jackson once said, when he was onstage with his sister, Janet Jackson:

There's really two of us. [laugh]

post-29546-0-00627300-1505442439.jpg

I am wondering how many pages will it stretch for the  2nd Round of Sep 2017 ....

Edited by Ysc3

I owned and drove a boxer engined Alfa for 7 years.

So I know better.

Inherently balanced yada yada ... sure.

But better reliability (the sub topic discussed with previous poster) than IL engines?

???

The K20A is a great everyday IL engine and reliable too ðð¼

Qualifier: I am no Honda fanboy.

Bro. I think an Alfa Boxer and a Subaru Boxer are very different animals.

Toyota and Honda overtake Subaru in the world lah, even in Japan or even in Singapore. Especially true when you want to sell your second car to dealers, they always claimed difficult to sell. Worst, some countries never heard of this brand.

But I am not saying this is a no good car. It is a good car but some how or dunno how they lack the exposure compared to other brands.

Agree. Subaru is more of a niche player.

But in Singapore I don't think that hard to sell. Because it is still made in Japan so the perception is that the workmanship is still quite good.

Bro. I think an Alfa Boxer and a Subaru Boxer are very different animals.

Agree. Subaru is more of a niche player.

But in Singapore I don't think that hard to sell. Because it is still made in Japan so the perception is that the workmanship is still quite good.

The perception of Subaru in Singapore is simply, jiak you, tiong chia brand.

Because of that, most people are not willing to give it a try, which is quite unfortunate because they drive so much better than their competitors and the newer Subarus have great interiors as well.

However, as a rather niche brand, Subarus definitely do not hold their value as well as say a Toyota or a Honda unless it's popular model like the Forester.

The perception of Subaru in Singapore is simply, jiak you, tiong chia brand.

Because of that, most people are not willing to give it a try, which is quite unfortunate because they drive so much better than their competitors and the newer Subarus have great interiors as well.

However, as a rather niche brand, Subarus definitely do not hold their value as well as say a Toyota or a Honda unless it's popular model like the Forester.

my imprezza wagon on 15" is gulping at 1L/7.5 km ... city road /  highway 1L/9.5km

hoping the shuttle 1.5G will give me double of that.

"Inhouse" loan means the dealer acts as the moneylender. Be careful and generally avoid. The front loading of the interest here is cruel because of the higher effective interest rate and long lock-in period. You are using a loanshark's money.

Most are "bank" loan. Get the salesman to print out total interest payable and the payment schedule. Note the penalty for early redemption and lock in period. Non-payment usually ends with repossession of car and bankruptcy proceeding against you.

These loans have no "look-see" period because they are hire-purchase loans. Non-collateralised.

I always advocate savings discipline for a Car Fund and take shortest, lowest loan possible.

I've worked out with the BM SE before that if one takes the minimum loan (to get the $2k rebate) and pay it off after one year, there's still a couple of hundred bucks in savings.

my imprezza wagon on 15" is gulping at 1L/7.5 km ... city road /  highway 1L/9.5km

hoping the shuttle 1.5G will give me double of that

should be able to achieve double. average fc i got for shuttle is between 14km/l to 17km/l, approx 40% city / 60% expressway

CEVS rebate this year: confirmed.

No VES rebate next year: also confirmed.

COE up or down: "boh bao", or no guarantee.

LTA gives you rebate, you must take.

Hope that COE would correct downwards is, as the word implies, "hope".

Ask yourself: do you want a certainty of $10K rebate, or the uncertainty of a $5K COE correction?

You're swapping certainty for uncertainty, and if your uncertain scenario comes true, you're only doing break-even.

Good point there, thanks! Shared this thought with someone else, and the person raised a good point too: when we take the assumption that COE will reduce due to the Revised CEV,most of us are thinking in binary terms.There is however also the instance where demand for those slapped with a surcharge goes down, but is evened out by increased demand for those with a rebate, making demand level overall.
↡ Advertisement