2018 Suzuki Swift Sport 1.4 Turbo

Pocus

The problem is people tend to look at the horsepower but totally ignore the torque. Being Turbo, 160nm at low RPM is damn healthy compared to 118nm from a NA engine where you need to drag to high RPM to get it. BHP is only useful after 70km/h and above, before that it's all about torque. That is why turbo cars are so nice and efficient to drive on short urban roads.

Suzuki may not win at built quality but reliability is as good as any major Jap brands. My old Swift gave me lesser issues than my Mitsubishi until scrapped. 10 years no problems. The road fully of renewed Swifts are proof of its reliability.

And before anyone start to talking the myth about turbochargers spoiling, remember these facts: 1)Turbochargers are 100 year old purely mechnical tech. It's even older than your EFI, DOHC and iVTEC/VVTi/VVT. 2) Your CVT gearbox is more likely to fail than your turbo.

Agree. Those people looking at paper specs are often those that never touched a high performance vehicle before.

Actually once u take taxi u will know already lah, those Sonata have around 400n/m of torque and at low Rev band.

↡ Advertisement

I watched several online review of SSS, it seems like a fun car to drive. I am curious how come CM is not bringing in this model.

They feel it cannot sell well, thats why never bring in.

I watched several online review of SSS, it seems like a fun car to drive. I am curious how come CM is not bringing in this model.

Has anyone tested the 1.0 litre version yet? I know this is a Sports discussion but since that one is not available for test drive yet so maybe the 1.0 will be a good approximation for now.

Overall I was very impressed by the equipment level and turbo engine. For this entry level car you get 6 air bags, ESP, ABS, front and rear disc brakes, cruise control (useful for MCE and tunnels), LED front and rear lamps, daytime running lights, paddle shifts, manual mode. The turbo kicks in at 1,700 rpm with no noticeable lag, nor that sudden kick from older turbos. The turbo makes the car feel more like a 1.6 NA engine in my opinion. Helped by the fact that the kerb weight of this car is only 940 kg, the drive was lively and responsive on straights. Steering was too light for me (or anybody in this topic would agree with me), and neither do I like the body roll when driving along South Buona Vista road. Ride otherwise is comfortable with a longer wheelbase and interior and boot space are both more spacious that the previous iterations of Swift. Owners of this car would also like the low low road tax and running costs.

So bear in mind this is only an entry level car, you guys who are waiting for the sports model are in for a treat! I already have a ride I love otherwise I would really consider the Swift Sports. I hope the pricing will be ok then all enthusiasts will have a really fun car to drive on our streets.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I believe they will bring in eventually. Now they need to sell well the 1.0T first.

Perhaps next year with the Vitara S which will be another blast to drive.

Turbocharged

Has anyone tested the 1.0 litre version yet? I know this is a Sports discussion but since that one is not available for test drive yet so maybe the 1.0 will be a good approximation for now.

Overall I was very impressed by the equipment level and turbo engine. For this entry level car you get 6 air bags, ESP, ABS, front and rear disc brakes, cruise control (useful for MCE and tunnels), LED front and rear lamps, daytime running lights, paddle shifts, manual mode. The turbo kicks in at 1,700 rpm with no noticeable lag, nor that sudden kick from older turbos. The turbo makes the car feel more like a 1.6 NA engine in my opinion. Helped by the fact that the kerb weight of this car is only 940 kg, the drive was lively and responsive on straights. Steering was too light for me (or anybody in this topic would agree with me), and neither do I like the body roll when driving along South Buona Vista road. Ride otherwise is comfortable with a longer wheelbase and interior and boot space are both more spacious that the previous iterations of Swift. Owners of this car would also like the low low road tax and running costs.

So bear in mind this is only an entry level car, you guys who are waiting for the sports model are in for a treat! I already have a ride I love otherwise I would really consider the Swift Sports. I hope the pricing will be ok then all enthusiasts will have a really fun car to drive on our streets.

Thats an nice short review of the car.

I planned to test drive too but still trying to find time for it. With do a review once i did.

Btw how do you opt to drive to buona vista?

Since we are talking about the 1.0 version. Is there a manual trans for this car? I think I saw from online 5MT version in other countries.

• Praise 2

Thats an nice short review of the car.

I planned to test drive too but still trying to find time for it. With do a review once i did.

Btw how do you opt to drive to buona vista?

On the chat we kept insisting we would wait for the sports version because there's no way this version could match the responsiveness. Salesperson kept saying give the turbo a try first. So I guess he was keen to prove his point. Also we drove an 8+ years old Swift Sport there so we came across as genuine buyers.

Wait for the sports version if you can though, I have a feeling it's going to be a rocket. The 1.0 is an impressive entry level car: good for long commutes on auto trans and low running cost. Whenever you feel like overtaking give the left paddle a flick. 

Edited by mengami

Since we are talking about the 1.0 version. Is there a manual trans for this car? I think I saw from online 5MT version in other countries.

For the auto version after "D" on the shift is "M" and I assume you can use the paddles to change gears. I didn't try because without DSG I think it's going to be slow. Give it a try and let us know :)

I believe they will bring in eventually. Now they need to sell well the 1.0T first.

Perhaps next year with the Vitara S which will be another blast to drive.

So the latest I heard was next June. Anyone has better intel? Can't believe there isn't enough Swift Sports buyers here, especially with this version. 

• Praise 1

For the auto version after "D" on the shift is "M" and I assume you can use the paddles to change gears. I didn't try because without DSG I think it's going to be slow. Give it a try and let us know :)

So the latest I heard was next June. Anyone has better intel? Can't believe there isn't enough Swift Sports buyers here, especially with this version.

Im a believer in good product + good marketing. With the lack of marketing, I'm not surprised the low sales in sss considering so many similar alternatives now. Even PI Garage r did a better job w their marketing for the new sss. No one know the final price w coe n ves yet there's already people booked their "pending" car.

I think CM is just hoping history can repeat like the zc31s.

Can imagine sooner or later ppl will ask what brand is Suzuki? Lol

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Probably will come later.

Now concentrate on selling the basic version first.

• Praise 1