Joining the family - Mito 1.4L Turbo manual

1fast1

Hi all, just picked up my new acquisition. A very cute Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4L turbo 6MT. White in colour, hope to get some pix up when time permits.

Enjoying the drive so far. Hope to make the next meetup. :)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9

Hi all, just picked up my new acquisition. A very cute Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4L turbo 6MT. White in colour, hope to get some pix up when time permits.

congrats bro. Enjoy the ride ya!

congrats bro. Enjoy the ride ya!

I was going to congratulate him too...

But then I thought about it. What's there to congratulate if he paid for the car? I will congratulate him if he wins it in a lucky draw  [:p]

• Praise 1

But then I thought about it. What's there to congratulate if he paid for the car? I will congratulate him if he wins it in a lucky draw [:p]

dont know....i just follow mcf pattern....
  • Praise 1

Its a manual! [thumbsup]

• Praise 13

But then I thought about it. What's there to congratulate if he paid for the car? I will congratulate him if he wins it in a lucky draw [:p]

It's an Alfa!!!

Nice. The lip may need fixing no?

Welcome to the pit!!!

Edited by Theredstar

It's an Alfa!!!

Nice. The lip may need fixing no?

Welcome to the pit!!!

Thanks mate. I'm not sure what the bodykit is supposed to look like in front. I'll ask Peter (Alfa Sportivo) or one of you friendly guys at a meetup. :D
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Hear 1.4L turbo already send some shiver down your spine cos it usually meant the problematic VAG  ride ;  hear that its an ALFA some more people think you must be crazy but then again its a manual so half the problems can be avoided . Plus you have (many) other spare cars .

Congrats ; I am sure this car is fun to trash around in curvy B roads . 

Thanks mate. I'm not sure what the bodykit is supposed to look like in front. I'll ask Peter (Alfa Sportivo) or one of you friendly guys at a meetup. :D

Oh I may be wrong.

But if this is the one I think it is, owner did mention something about the front.

So long it is moving!!! ^^

Oh I may be wrong.

But if this is the one I think it is, owner did mention something about the front.

So long it is moving!!! ^^

Yeah, it moves fine, and that's mainly what I care about! [laugh]

Someone asked (by way of Praise comments) what it was about a manual that thrills me as he personally found it a pain.

The answer is that:

- manual driving is real engagement. For me there are some peculiar inconveniences because of my size and build - e.g. I can't wear office shoes and drive this car as my left leg is partially riding the clutch when I try to rest it on the foot rest. I get around this by either wearing socks (daily commute) or using racing/karting shoes (proper drives). But once I've got around those difficulties, I find that I feel a lot more connected with the car by the simple mechanical actions that I am compelled to go through.

- proper manual driving is very rewarding. A smooth launch from a light, a properly executed heel toe with rev matching - these are things that give me great satisfaction.

- manuals can allow one to extract more from a small/underpowered engine. On the way into work, I was outdragging every other car, and even a bike. It's a lot of fun to go back to this mode of driving, which I've missed (the last time I owned a manual was almost a decade ago).

In contrast, I find that automatics can be a dulling experience. After I test drove the Mito, when I was driving home in my M140i, it was certainly fast in an objective sense, but I found myself feeling oddly unfulfilled. Just stepping on the throttle to downshift didn't seem to cut it. The paddles don't give me sufficient feedback with the ZF 8 speed in that car (I've mentioned this before in the forum).

However, the AMG GT, equipped with a 7 speed Getrag DCT, is still amazing to drive with the engine mode turned up to Sport Plus and the transmission in manual shift mode. So some "automatic-type" transmissions with paddles still provide an engaging experience.

Hear 1.4L turbo already send some shiver down your spine cos it usually meant the problematic VAG  ride ;  hear that its an ALFA some more people think you must be crazy but then again its a manual so half the problems can be avoided . Plus you have (many) other spare cars .

Congrats ; I am sure this car is fun to trash around in curvy B roads . 

Yes, I was very clear about wanting a manual. The marque matters less. :D

Edited by Turboflat4

Yeah, it moves fine, and that's mainly what I care about! [laugh]

Someone asked (by way of Praise comments) what it was about a manual that thrills me as he personally found it a pain.

The answer is that:

- manual driving is real engagement. For me there are some peculiar inconveniences because of my size and build - e.g. I can't wear office shoes and drive this car as my left leg is riding the clutch when I try to rest it on the foot rest. I get around this by either wearing socks (daily commute) or using racing/karting shoes (proper drives). Bu lt once I've got around those difficulties, I find that I feel a lot more connected with the car by the simple mechanical actions that I am compelled to go through.

- proper manual driving is very rewarding. A smooth launch from a light, a properly executed heel toe with rev matching - these are things that give me great satisfaction.

- manuals can allow one to extract more from a small/underpowered engine. On the way into work, I was outdragging every other car, and even a bike. It's a lot of fun to go back to this mode of driving, which I've missed (the last time I owned a manual was almost a decade ago).

In contrast, I find that automatics can be a dulling experience. After I test drove the Mito, when I was driving home in my M140i, it was certainly fast in an objective sense, but I found myself feeling oddly unfulfilled. Just stepping on the throttle to downshift didn't seem to cut it. The paddles don't give me sufficient feedback with the ZF 8 speed in that car (I've mentioned this before in the forum).

However, the AMG GT, equipped with a 7 speed Getrag DCT, is still amazing to drive with the engine mode turned up to Sport Plus and the transmission in manual shift mode. So some "automatic-type" transmissions with paddles still provide an engaging experience.

Yes, I was very clear about wanting a manual. The marque matters less. :D

bro....no need to explain to the pm if i were you....those who dont and cant drive a manual simply wont get it!
  • Praise 1

bro....no need to explain to the pm if i were you....those who dont and cant drive a manual simply wont get it!

No lah, we should bring more into the fold. :D

One of the reasons I went to automatics in the first place was to accommodate my dad who was a real driver in his heyday, but developed some orthopedic issues that made the use of his left leg difficult. I wanted to share my performance cars with him, so I went with autos.

But now that he's driving much less and I have other cars, I think I want to try a manual for myself again.

Edited by Turboflat4

like that my puny 1.6 sure kana smoke by many many during corners........haiz!

Edited by Turboflat4

Haha.

I remember -many years back- outdragging an RX-8 with my manual Kia Rio 1.3 once (rolling start, on the road, we were merging and he was trying to get in front).

Auto + rotary = no torque. :D

The other driver was not amused. [laugh]

you say leh! If more and more gets manual that rx8 will sure be a manual! I wont want to play if thats the case.......
↡ Advertisement