Joining the family - Mito 1.4L Turbo manual

1fast1

Yeah, it moves fine, and that's mainly what I care about! [laugh]

Someone asked (by way of Praise comments) what it was about a manual that thrills me as he personally found it a pain.

The answer is that:

- manual driving is real engagement. For me there are some peculiar inconveniences because of my size and build - e.g. I can't wear office shoes and drive this car as my left leg is partially riding the clutch when I try to rest it on the foot rest. I get around this by either wearing socks (daily commute) or using racing/karting shoes (proper drives). But once I've got around those difficulties, I find that I feel a lot more connected with the car by the simple mechanical actions that I am compelled to go through.

- proper manual driving is very rewarding. A smooth launch from a light, a properly executed heel toe with rev matching - these are things that give me great satisfaction.

- manuals can allow one to extract more from a small/underpowered engine. On the way into work, I was outdragging every other car, and even a bike. It's a lot of fun to go back to this mode of driving, which I've missed (the last time I owned a manual was almost a decade ago).

In contrast, I find that automatics can be a dulling experience. After I test drove the Mito, when I was driving home in my M140i, it was certainly fast in an objective sense, but I found myself feeling oddly unfulfilled. Just stepping on the throttle to downshift didn't seem to cut it. The paddles don't give me sufficient feedback with the ZF 8 speed in that car (I've mentioned this before in the forum).

However, the AMG GT, equipped with a 7 speed Getrag DCT, is still amazing to drive with the engine mode turned up to Sport Plus and the transmission in manual shift mode. So some "automatic-type" transmissions with paddles still provide an engaging experience.

Yes, I was very clear about wanting a manual. The marque matters less. :D

Dsg selespeed are all manual just assisted clutch action.

Dsg or other dual clutch uses second clutch n it's the fastest system today.

Personally i prefer selespeed over dsg cos i get more feeling from the gears shifting. But as long as got manual, always good to go for it cos of less maintenance

you say leh! If more and more gets manual that rx8 will sure be a manual! I wont want to play if thats the case.......ðððð

Initially was sold as manual.

Then to cater to market taste, sold as auto. As it needs high revs, auto is hard to do unless the driver is able to use in manual mode but i doubt it.

Rx8 is quite a misunderstood car. Many tend to confuse use high revs mean slow. Actually it's not. When the revs come in, it will smoke many cars, like the old vtec.

Actually Alfa twinspark was also like tat. Before vtec there was twinspark

↡ Advertisement

Dsg selespeed are all manual just assisted clutch action.

Dsg or other dual clutch uses second clutch n it's the fastest system today.

Personally i prefer selespeed over dsg cos i get more feeling from the gears shifting. But as long as got manual, always good to go for it cos of less maintenance

Initially was sold as manual.

Then to cater to market taste, sold as auto. As it needs high revs, auto is hard to do unless the driver is able to use in manual mode but i doubt it.

Rx8 is quite a misunderstood car. Many tend to confuse use high revs mean slow. Actually it's not. When the revs come in, it will smoke many cars, like the old vtec.

ya......i used to own a high revving bike! Eventhough not sluggish at slow pickup when in high rev the gears shifts is very smooth and can smoke bigger 2 stroke engine known for it's pickup speed.

Was taught to me by a fellow biker when i initially bought that bike and having problem as there was a distinct sound when i upshift or downshift at slow speed. Maybe those who bought the manual rx8 were fearful that they might damage the transmission as shifting up or down at low speed made the gears feels rougher and it literally sounded like a heavy clunk as though a gear had dropped out. This is just my guess using my biking experience as a background though.

Edited by Eviilusion

Turbocharged

Because many equate high rev with lousy fc and the masses just go with good fc good fc.

High rev is when the twinspark sings and comes alive.

High revs usually means NA engine. Thus many ppl think is slow. There are a few high revs TC engine also.  

For NA engines to gain more power, one way is to increase displacement. Another is increasing rpm. So a high reving engine usually means a sporty ride. Though high revs, these engines rev very easily machiam no friction in the cylinder. The sounds at high revs is also very addictive.

High revs usually means NA engine. Thus many ppl think is slow. There are a few high revs TC engine also.  

For NA engines to gain more power, one way is to increase displacement. Another is increasing rpm. So a high reving engine usually means a sporty ride. Though high revs, these engines rev very easily machiam no friction in the cylinder. The sounds at high revs is also very addictive.

very strange, looks like so many peoples appreciate manual car, but in real world nobody really bought manual cars

I've been driving manual ever since I got my drivers license at 17 years old. [:)]

• Praise 7

very strange, looks like so many peoples appreciate manual car, but in real world nobody really bought manual cars

cos don't have. EA used to sell a few manuals and now they stop altogether. 

among alfisti, actually there's a small market for it. 

Honda S2000.. Very high Rev and NA as well... manual also have.. but too bad out of production already..

• Praise 3

Honda S2000.. Very high Rev and NA as well... manual also have.. but too bad out of production already..

Yup. Am lucky to drive one before. Probably one of the best high revs na engine. But needs alot of work to keep the revs high. I think it is mt only too.

Lfa is another good example but way out of reach for most.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator

Join us for our run for beer meet up! I wanna see your car! hahah. 

Hi all, just picked up my new acquisition. A very cute Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4L turbo 6MT. White in colour, hope to get some pix up when time permits.

Enjoying the drive so far. Hope to make the next meetup. :)

↡ Advertisement