10 days self drive in Hokkaido

Victor68

4 adults and 2 kids. 3 yrs and another 3 months. stayed in B&B and budget hotels. fly scoot but have good food which is part of Japan tour. around SDG$10 K not including purchased items brought home. 

My partner and i saving $$ for this trip.. I tell her smelly smelly must have $10k each to go.. wah hahahaha~~ 

↡ Advertisement

My partner and i saving $$ for this trip.. I tell her smelly smelly must have $10k each to go.. wah hahahaha~~ 

$10k per person. you are planning for a great honeymoon there? no need lah. I think $3K + quite relax liao. unless you intend to stay much longer

$10k per person. you are planning for a great honeymoon there? no need lah. I think $3K + quite relax liao. unless you intend to stay much longer

$10k including hotels+flights.. She wanna go for 14days :meaw: FML.. I 1year only have 14days leave nett.. [nosebleed] haa.. btw, go Hokkaido better to drive like jeju or their public transportation good enough? 

$10k including hotels+flights.. She wanna go for 14days :meaw: FML.. I 1year only have 14days leave nett.. [nosebleed] haa.. btw, go Hokkaido better to drive like jeju or their public transportation good enough? 

japan self drive ok except city area a bit difficult to find car park. you can also visit more places where public transport dont go

If no kids you can save tons of money by going during the low season, e.g. March for winter and snow.  Hotels can be less than half of peak prices.  Definitely don't need 10k per pax even if peak season.  Within Sapporo MRT more convenient.  Unlike ours I think it is reliable! [laugh]

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 2

If go around 27 Nov and spend around 10 days there (latest till 12 Dec), roughly what is the temp likely to be? 

How much to budget for 4 adults on the trip? 

And if let's say want to bring elderly parents along, is it suitable? Accommodation for 6 is common or not leh?

Thanks...

Probably close to freezing.  Do check if the old folks can tahan cold!  And get them crampons if it is icy.  Definitely you don't want to to slip and fall!

Room for 6 is not common I think, up to 3 pax plentiful.  You may have to settle for 2 rooms.

• Praise 2

Next is Hakodate, Otaru canal, 'rail way station' Takino Suzuran Hillside Park I mentioned earlier before returning car next day.

post-9127-0-87555200-1505256544_thumb.jpg

post-9127-0-30951300-1505256545_thumb.jpg

post-9127-0-67393900-1505256545_thumb.jpg

post-9127-0-05038000-1505256546_thumb.jpg

post-9127-0-36053700-1505256546_thumb.jpg

post-9127-0-73381100-1505256546_thumb.jpg

post-9127-0-03742100-1505256547_thumb.jpg

post-9127-0-59596000-1505256547_thumb.jpg

• Praise 4

If go around 27 Nov and spend around 10 days there (latest till 12 Dec), roughly what is the temp likely to be?

How much to budget for 4 adults on the trip?

And if let's say want to bring elderly parents along, is it suitable? Accommodation for 6 is common or not leh?

Thanks...

Late Nov you can expect single digit daytime and sub 0 deg nights. It might start snowing in the hills. Generally windy as winter moves in.

I would budget $4k max person for a 10days trip. It can be done for as low as $3k. Roughly $1.2k for air tix, 1.2k for accom and 1.2k for train/ car/ food and others. Much depends on the exchange rate.

Accomodation for 2 is norm for regular hotels, some might allow 3. It is more common to find family rooms for 4 in ryokans.

There are a lot of elderly folks visiting Hokkaido from Japan. The normal precaution applies. Nothing out of the ordinary.

• Praise 3

Probably close to freezing.  Do check if the old folks can tahan cold!  And get them crampons if it is icy.  Definitely you don't want to to slip and fall!

Room for 6 is not common I think, up to 3 pax plentiful.  You may have to settle for 2 rooms.

Sigh... not only the old folks, i think we also cannot tahan so cold...

guess winter hokkaido won't do liao...

What type of rooms/accommodation are there in Japan? For our last few trips, esp last year in Perth/West Aust, we stayed at a farmhouse and a couple of AirBnB houses that could house all 6 together. 

Wife was saying this is not common in Japan and it's not easy to find large accommodation? Is this the case for whole japan?

Late Nov you can expect single digit daytime and sub 0 deg nights. It might start snowing in the hills. Generally windy as winter moves in.

I would budget $4k max person for a 10days trip. It can be done for as low as $3k. Roughly $1.2k for air tix, 1.2k for accom and 1.2k for train/ car/ food and others. Much depends on the exchange rate.

Accomodation for 2 is norm for regular hotels, some might allow 3. It is more common to find family rooms for 4 in ryokans.

There are a lot of elderly folks visiting Hokkaido from Japan. The normal precaution applies. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Thanks - this is very useful.

Year end Hokkaido looks to be out of the question if it's so cold... worse if we're gonna be driving.

SQ tix i think is around $1.6k for those peak periods. Now we thinking whether to sacrifice some time to take Thai airways.

Just goggled to find out what's ryokan. Paiseh... not familiar with Japan at all...

Looks like accommodation is not easy too.

Might need to explore other parts of Jap and leave Hokkaido out this time...

the travel time between SQ vs Thai is the same because SQ also no direct flight to Hokkaido

SQ need to transit at Tokyo/Osaka, Thai transit at Bangkok

SQ or Thai both take 10hrs+ to reach Hokkaido, no?

Year end Hokkaido looks to be out of the question if it's so cold... worse if we're gonna be driving.

SQ tix i think is around $1.6k for those peak periods. Now we thinking whether to sacrifice some time to take Thai airways.

Just goggled to find out what's ryokan. Paiseh... not familiar with Japan at all...

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

Hokkaido is very different from the rest of Japan. It is more Alaska than Japan.

Self drive is tricky during winter period. The train services are good. I usually do a combination for winter period. Longer stretches on train and short local car rental for 2-3 days etc.

As mentioned below, time wise is about same from SG into Chitose by TG or via Tokyo/ Osaka/ Nagoya.

Mie Peninsula (South of Osaka) is a good drive holiday if you are worried about the cold in November.

If you like Initial-D, Takayama and Kusatsu provides a good mix of mountain scenary and onsen towns. Access via Nagano from Tokyo.

• Praise 1

the travel time between SQ vs Thai is the same because SQ also no direct flight to Hokkaido

SQ need to transit at Tokyo/Osaka, Thai transit at Bangkok

SQ or Thai both take 10hrs+ to reach Hokkaido, no?

wah... really? 

i better ask my wife. Maybe the price is not to Hokkaido, but Tokyo or other cities...

If you are into skiing, the powder snow in Hokkaido is fantastic. Last year, I went to Furano. Haven't tried Niseko. But flight cancellations due to snow is a risk. Happened to me, and had scramble at last minute to find accommodation and change plans.

I'm also planning to go Hokkaido in December next year to experience the snow.  My kids enjoy the snow experience in Seoul last year.  Most probably I will take TG as it is cheaper.  Price around S$400+ with transit in BKK when I checked the price in January this year.

Should I give Otaru a miss?  I read that there's nothing there except the Otaru canal and some factories?  Where to experience snow?

Thanks.

• Praise 1

i would rather go south korea for ski trip.

go to ski resort for a couple of days and then can spend sometime at seoul or busan

unless the whole trip is purely ski trip because whole hokaiddo is snowy in dec

it's no joke walking on the street with 10cm snow ... lol

↡ Advertisement