Sony Xperia Series phones

DACH

My XZ still with Sony due to overheating camera.... I think they deliberately updated the firmware to be ultra sensitive to temperature to frustrate users and made them buy new phone!

↡ Advertisement

I am disappointed with the SONY new phones, XZ 2 and XZ 2 compact.

I don't like the roundish and bulging back design, looks too Samsung-ish and ugly. 

DSCF2919.jpg

I thought the redesign will be completely bezel-less, but it seems not so. However it is still a good improvement.

DSCF2925.jpg

However the new phones are thicker, more than 1 cm thick for both phones and the re-design is really turn me off. 

Where is the XZ 1 (or 2) Premium (or Pro) as speculated? All these phone screens are small (5.7 inch for XZ 2), no 4K OLED screens and dual cameras. Battery size is also small. 

Sorry, SONY. I am actually not sold by these new phones this time round. I hope you will introduce the XZ 2 Premium with the toned down current design language in the second half of the year or I think I will have to give Sony up and move to the next flagship phones of Nokia or Apple. 

Clearly disappointed. 

Sony’s Xperia XZ2 phones have a fresh design, smaller bezels, and no headphone jack

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/2/26/17045078/sony-xz2-compact-price-release-date-mwc-2018

DSCF2920.jpg

Sony is putting effort into its smartphones again. The company’s new XZ2 and XZ2 Compact shrink down the chunky bezels of their predecessors (to an extent) and feature the same taller, slimmer displays that helped Samsung, LG, and other companies roundly outclass Sony’s smartphone design last year. Both new Sony phones are powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 845 processor, the latest and greatest silicon that will be inside most of 2018’s Android flagships. They’re scheduled to ship this spring, with pricing to be announced later.

This time around, Sony isn’t overdoing it with a gimmicky 4K screen. The XZ2’s 5.7-inch, FHD+ (2160 x 1080) display has a 2:1 aspect ratio. The top and bottom bezels have been significantly downsized. There’s still enough room for Sony to put its name at the bottom of the phone, so the company isn’t quite at par with Samsung, LG, or OnePlus. But this is certainly an improvement. The screen supports HDR and Sony says it automatically up-converts SDR content to look more colorful and vibrant. And the XZ2 has stereo speakers, as well.

Sony refers to the XZ2’s overall design as “ambient flow.” That makes a bit more sense when you flip it over and examine the back, which is quite a departure from recent Sony handsets. The back nicely slopes into the aluminum rail at each side, and Sony has moved the camera position so that it’s now center-aligned. And beneath it is a new standalone fingerprint reader. For a long time, Sony made the side power button of its Xperia phones double as a fingerprint scanner, but the company always disabled that functionality in the United States. Now, everyone gets a fingerprint reader — and it’s in the right spot. The XZ2’s rear aesthetic strikes me as very HTC, but I’m in favor of this change over the rectangular, blocky feel of previous Xperias. This one is much more comfortable to grip.

What you won’t find anywhere on the XZ2 is a headphone jack. Sony is following the herd and getting rid of it this year. That’s disappointing to see from a company that prides itself on supporting hi-fi audio. The phone supports AptX HD and LDAC codecs for high-quality Bluetooth audio, if that’s any consolation.

The XZ2’s hardware still includes a dedicated camera shutter button, and like last year’s XZ Premium, it has a 19-megapixel sensor inside. When shooting 4K video, the camera is now capable of capturing HDR color, and the ultra slo-mo mode can record 960fps footage at a higher 1080p resolution. That’s pretty cool and bests what Samsung is doing with the Galaxy S9, but you’ll need to have a subject in good lighting if you want usable footage. And for fans of Sony’s fun 3D Creator face-scanning app, that now works with the front-facing selfie camera. (Previously you had to use the primary camera.)

Inside the XZ2 is Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 845, 4GB of RAM, 64GB of storage (with microSD slot), and all the cellular networking hardware necessary for gigabit data speeds. The 845 made the XZ2 feel very snappy in my brief time using it. (Sony’s lightweight, stock-ish Android 8.0 Oreo software also helps matters there.)

But there will be a lot of phones with that same chip inside this year, so to help differentiate its own flagship, Sony came up with something else to add: rumble feedback. The new Dynamic Vibration System in the XZ2 makes your phone rumble along with media (movies, music, trailers, etc.) and games. Sony’s tagline for the feature is that it helps you “feel your media.”

An algorithm analyzes audio in music and videos and tells the XZ2 when to vibrate. App developers can also add support. A demo of old standby Angry Birds had a variety of haptics; pulling back the slingshot felt and crashing into the wooden crates felt noticeably different. You can adjust the vibration intensity for individual apps, so you can leave it off for YouTube but turn up the vibration power for Netflix, for example. The vibration system also adds subtle feedback in other areas, like when you’re setting a timer. I don’t know how much of a phone seller this will be — and it didn’t feel quite as impressive as the iPhone’s Haptic engine — but it’s among the XZ2’s headline features. The XZ2 will be available in black, silver, green (which looks rather blue, as you can see above), or pink. Pricing and release date will come later.

XZ2 COMPACT

For those who prefer smaller smartphones, Sony is introducing the XZ2 Compact with a 5-inch screen. It shares many hardware specs with the flagship phone: you get the Snapdragon 845 and same camera capabilities. But you lose the Dynamic Vibration System, and the back of the XZ2 Compact is plastic instead of glass. Unfortunately, the smaller model lacks wireless charging altogether, and the battery is smaller (2870mAh vs. 3180mAh in the regular model).

DSCF2929.jpg

So Sony has new phones with a bit of design spark and powerful internals. But there’s no telling whether that will be enough to reverse the company’s ailing mobile situation — especially in the US, where carriers like Verizon and AT&T stopped carrying Sony’s devices years ago. Oddly, Sony says the XZ2 Compact will be certified for use on Verizon when it launches, but the same doesn’t seem to be true of the flagship. (Both phones will support AT&T and T-Mobile.)

If the plan is to once again exclusively sell the XZ2 unlocked, it won’t have much hope against the flagship smartphones you can walk into a carrier store and buy. It’s good to finally see a revamped look, but there’s little that makes Sony stand out versus the Galaxy S9.

DSCF2928.jpg

I do that with all my phones.

No issues with Nokia Lumia 920, 535, 650, Samsung Omnia W and all the dumb phones and features phones.

Bloating issues with 2 phones so far - Nokia Lumia 1520 (after 2 years), Asus Zenfone (after 1 year).

kakakaka !!!

i leave it plugged in ... into my pc ... so it charges every time i on my pc ... and look what happened !!

now got to find replacement battery liow ....  :ouch-it-hurts:

No issues with Nokia Lumia 920, 535, 650, Samsung Omnia W and all the dumb phones and features phones.

Bloating issues with 2 phones so far - Nokia Lumia 1520 (after 2 years), Asus Zenfone (after 1 year).

i replaced the battery with one i bought on Q10 ... advert says original but actual battery received does not have the stickers and the battery is smaller sized by about 5% - put it back to back and can see the difference.

anyway, it still works .... just dunno for how long ....

I charge all my phones everyday overnight with 0 issues over 20 years (okay la, maybe 15... last time non-smart phones could last 7 days on a charge).

Right now, I just started charging my v30 in the day time as well via a wireless charger on my desk... Hope it doesn't explode otherwise it will be in my face lol.

So sucky. No more sony phones for me anymore I guess. Super disappointing

Japan is losing out in many areas, although there are still many loyal to a few brands, matter of time for them to move on.

Any news on the XZ 1 Premium?

My last hope...

Sony Xperia XZ Pro specs, release date, news and rumours

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/sony-mobile/143133-sony-xperia-xz-pro-what-s-the-story-on-the-next-sony-xperia-flagship

• - Is a Sony Xperia XZ Pro still on the way?
  • - Android 8.1 Oreo plus 4K OLED expected

We did get two new phones as expected from Sony's Mobile World Congress (MWC) press conference, the Sony Xperia XZ2 and the Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact.

But we were wondering whether we'd get a third device, which we believe will be known as the Sony Xperia XZ Pro.

Reliable leaks are rather scarce at the moment, but we suspect we'll soon start seeing much more appearing in the rumour mill.

So let's dig into the rumours that are still floating around and explore what Sony might launch next...
Sony Xperia XZ Pro release date

Now that Mobile World Congress is out of the way, we'd expect that Sony will launch the XZ Pro at IFA 2018 in early September. Sony usually has a big presence at that show, and last year dropped the Sony Xperia XZ1XZ1 Compact and the XA1 Plus.

Sony Xperia XZ Pro name
  • A replacement for the Premium name is expected

With Sony's naming convention changing drastically in the last few years, it's difficult to pick apart exactly where its smartphone naming might go next.

The Xperia XZ Premium appeared in early-2017 as a loose replacement for the Z5 Premium, defined by the 4K display and otherwise flagship specs.

It wasn't until August 2017 that the aforementioned Xperia XZ1 appeared, sitting in Sony's conventional flagship space, with a Full HD display and again offering Flagship specs.

The Premium device should be due for an update and that would fit with the XZ Pro name.

Sony Xperia XZ Pro Design
  • Slimmer bezels expected
  • Increased screen-to-body ratio
  • IP65/68 as usual

Sony Mobile has been using the OmniBalance design since the launch of the original Xperia Z and through into the X family.

It has changed incrementally over the years, but on the whole, Xperia brand design has been fairly consistent with the occasional change to devices like the Sony Xperia XA with its really slim bezels. 

With the XZ2, a curve from the display front around to the rear; that rear is curved to fit into your hand, rather than being a slab of a device that bridges your palm. We'd expect that the XZ Pro would have even smaller bezels than the XZ2.

Given that there's not a headphone jack in the XZ2, we believe that any new XZ Pro won't have a headphone jack. Naturally, there will also be IP65/68 waterproofing.

Sony Xperia XZ Pro specs
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 845?

We'd suggest that the new XZ Pro will feature the same Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 platform that's in the XZ2. Surely there will also be Android 8.1 Oreo out of the box.

As for the display, we'd expect HDR, as in the XZ Premium and XZ1.

Sony Xperia XZ Pro camera
  • A new dual camera unit is expected
  • Sony has previewed it at Mobile World Congress 2018

As well as the XZ2 and Compact at Mobile World Congress 2018, Sony Mobile also showed a new dual camera system on its booth at the show. Now we don't know what handset this will come to, but it stands to reason it's got to come to a handset soon, right? 

And we believe that will be the XZ Pro. So far, Sony hasn't joined the likes of Apple, Samsung or Huawei in offering a dual camera on its phones.

Unfortunately, the demo didn't have any specs, but we saw it was a clear step up from the existing single camera, especially for extreme low light performance; it can offer video capture up to ISO 12,800 and for still photos ISO 52,100.

The new ZX2 has 4K HDR video capture which is a big step-up in quality. The slow-mo at 960fps is now Full HD too. Expect that to also be present in any new XZ Pro. 

Read more about the possible XZ Pro camera: Sony Xperia dual camera system teases future low light supremacy

We'll bring you more spec details as extra rumours circulate. 

Supersonic
Sony Xperia XZ2 Premium launch date looks set for April 16 event

https://www.t3.com/news/sony-xperia-xz2-premium-launch-date-looks-set-for-april-16-event

XyLrtXdxZ4eT5gknAYhZX7-768-80.jpg

A Sony leakster has teased a launch event which is due to take place on April 16 where we may see the launch of the new Xperia XZ2 Premium. Could this be a Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus and Apple iPhone Xkiller?

After posting a rumour about the event, serial Weibo leakster Zackbuks included the word “wow” to describe it. This has apparently led to the presumption that this will be the Xperia XZ2 Premium launch. So we’re taking it with a pinch of salt for now.

Rumours so far point to a possible name of Xperia XZ Pro which will come with a 4K OLED screen, Snapdragon 845 CPU backed by 6GB of RAM and 128GB storage. There is also rumoured to be a dual rear camera with an 18MP primary snapped with a secondary 12MP lens. So far so amazing and all other phone beating, then.

The battery is expected to be a 3,420 mAh unit and the phone is expected to be IP68 water and dust resistant so it should keep chugging along with you all day no matter where you are.

Expect to hear more before the event on April 16.

Sony Holding an Event for April 16 – Is an Xperia XZ2 Premium Going to Be Unveiled There?

https://wccftech.com/sony-april-16-xperia-xz2-premium-unveiling/

Sony’s Xperia XZ2 Premium was supposed to be unveiled during the MWC 2018 trade but instead, we got the XZ2 and XZ2 Compact, two very capable devices that were not rocking the 4K resolution of the XZ Premium. However, we might be seeing the XZ Premium’s successor this month, according to the latest findings. Sony is expected to hold an event on April 16 and that could be the date where the Xperia XZ2 Premium is getting unveiled. Question is, which lineup of phones will it compete against?

Xperia XZ2 Premium Is Also Being Called Xperia XZ Pro According to Rumors – Claims of a 4K OLED Screen With the Best Possible Android Hardware Imagined

It is to be believed that on April 16, a ‘Wow’ announcement to set to take place in which Sony will be making an appearance possibly to unveil the Xperia XZ2 Premium. Keep in mind that the Xperia XZ2 already features nearly the same hardware as the rumors that surround the Xperia XZ2 Premium but there are going to be few differences separating the two devices.

The upcoming flagship has also been rumored to be called Xperia XZ Pro, with 6GB of RAM, 128GB of internal storage and a Snapdragon 845 as part of the specifications. A 4K OLED screen is also expected to be a part of these speculations, but that will take the price to significantly larger heights. Also, it has been said that the phone will have a resolution of 3,840 x 2,160, so we could be looking at an aspect ratio of 16:9 instead of 18:9 on the Xperia XZ2.

However, just like the Xperia XZ Premium, we could also see stereo speakers and an impressive build quality, though the headphone jack might cease to exist on it. Not just this, but the smartphone has also been rumored to come with an 18MP primary shooter and a 12MP secondary camera to form a dual-camera upgrade.

The battery capacity has been leaked as 3,420mAh and the phone will also get IP68 certification. Single and dual-SIM versions should also be present when the smartphone is officially available to purchase.

An 18:9 aspect ratio model might still be unveiled so that it is able to take on the Galaxy Note 9, the LG V35 ThinQ and several other devices.

Do you think we’ll be seeing a flagship announcement on April 16? Tell us down in the comments.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Finally get to see the phone in person. XZ2.

Finishing very chrome-y, which I personally like.

It's good to hold with the rounded edges and the bulging back. 

But I still don't like the design. 

post-180434-0-18052200-1523890979_thumb.jpg

post-180434-0-14389200-1523890980_thumb.jpg

post-180434-0-18435400-1523890981_thumb.jpg

But the camera is pretty good.

• Praise 2

Supersonic
(edited)

I don't know if I should get this or get the new iPhone this year.

Unravelling the mystery of the Sony Xperia XZ2 Premium

https://www.techradar.com/news/unravelling-the-mystery-of-the-sony-xperia-xz2-premium

01_Xperia_XZ2-Premium_group_chrome-black

Why is Sony quietly launching an amazing phone?

Waking up to news that there’s a new Sony Xperia phone in town - the Xperia XZ2 Premium - is going to leave a lot of people scratching their heads.

This is the phone that should have been launched in Barcelona in February. It’s got the 4K HDR screen and dual camera sensor on the rear that’s capable of some incredible low-light video - it’s easily the most powerful phone Sony’s ever created.

So potential buyers must be confused over why this is happening now - what’s the reason for having a massive phone unveiling, bringing out two phones that don’t really add a lot to the market… and then saving what should be the big reveal for nearly two months later?

And on top of that, why on earth is it not coming to places like the UK, and yet is being sold in the US, where there’s less of a fanbase for Sony Xperia handsets?

The phone Sony fans will want

The Sony Xperia XZ2 Premium is, unsurprisingly, the follow up to the Xperia XZ Premium - one of the top phones of 2017. That phone offered super slow motion video for the first time on a phone, a superb 4K screen and the same mix of Sony tech that’s seen it win fans from around the world.

It suffered from a few things though: the camera was - again - not quite up to the level of rivals’, in terms of everyday use, it had a bezel-heavy front where Samsung and LG were pushing screens to the edge of the phone with theGalaxy S8 and G6, and it was pretty darn expensive.

That last point shouldn’t matter too much given most flagship phones are charging a hefty premium these days, and Sony was offering some premium technology in the mix.

So when the time came for the new phone launch in 2018, most people expected to see a reboot of this phone - Sony’s strategy of showing prowess in technology was its strongest hand. That perception might be based on the older generation always believing that Sony just naturally stood for good quality, but it’s brand awareness nonetheless.

But what we got was confusing: the Sony Xperia XZ2, a phone that finally brought the 18:9 screen format with fewer bezels and a powerful new chipset running things. But also a single-sensor camera where most rivals were chucking out two on their phones, and a Full HD screen. 

It’s… a fine phone. But it feels like the base model - the iPhone 8, the Samsung Galaxy S9. Both of those had a bigger, more expensive sibling (the iPhone 8 Plusand the Galaxy S9 Plus), and it felt like Sony was missing a part of the puzzle.

Things got more confusing when Sony unveiled a sensor at MWC too, a dual camera that was capable of fantastic video quality in low light and much-improved image quality. The mystery deepened.

Screen_Shot_2018_04_16_at_3.14.33_AM.152

144194-phones-news-sony-announced-xperia Why do this now?

It was really tough to see why Sony would do this: unveil a new phone, and then spend time talking about how the next one was going to be even better. Was it actively trying to put off potential buyers? No, as it turned out. It was trying to be honest and build brand loyalty.

We wanted to be honest to our customers,” Tomokazu ‘Kaz’ Tajima, Senior VP at Sony Mobile told me at MWC this year. “If we hide [the sensor] and then just focus on sales [of the XZ2], that’s fine, but if after that we introduce a special camera with a super IOS level - a really special product - we have a certain segment that will be disappointed.

“We’re being honest and giving them a choice. It’s clear ISO 51200 is a monster spec and if that’s the reason they buy then we wanted to give them the right option. If they want that monster spec, please wait, but if you want a balanced product then buy the [Xperia XZ2].”

There was a lot of debate within Sony over whether to even show off the sensor at MWC this year, mindful of the fact it might cannibalize the lustre and excitement around the XZ2 - and especially as it knew that the XZ2 Premium was just around the corner. 

But the performance of the sensor, in low-light video especially, was remarkable and it’s clear that this was camera technology Sony had been working on for a while.

The performance of the new sensor on show at MWC was very, very impressive for low-light video.

Sony didn’t want to just join put a dual-sensor camera on the back of its smartphones for the sake of it, Hideyuki Furumi, EVP, Global Sales & Marketing, Sony Mobile told me at MWC. 

He called some of the dual sensors a ‘gimmick’ and that Sony was more interested in ‘pushing the boundaries’ of what could be done.

That makes sense - but when rivals are thrusting phones like the iPhone X and Galaxy S9 Plus in consumers’ faces, it’s hard to see why the Xperia XZ2 Premium wasn’t displayed as proof that Sony was still capable of such technological prowess.

Tough times

One thing that’s worth mentioning is that even if a brand has all the necessary elements to make a top smartphone, it doesn’t mean that it can do so cost-effectively, and that’s a key part of strategy. 

Any smartphone manufacturer, whether it’s LG, HTC, Huawei, Samsung or Apple, could make a one-off phone that has technology so dizzying that consumers would be confused as to why they don’t just sell that and blow the competition away.

But making a phone requires far more than just assembling the parts. It needs to have a bundle of power in an ever-slimmer frame, which means a high engineering cost to miniaturize components and runs the risk of failure (just ask Samsung about the Note 7 debacle).

It needs to be rigorously tested in terms of camera, battery and CPU performance. Months need to be spent ironing out bugs, finding optimizations to software… and this is all to the backdrop of new Android updates and more powerful chipsets spewing out all the time.

Even if all of that is achieved, a certain portion of the development budget has to be given to marketing, so people actually get to hear about these high-end phones and consider them for purchase.

It’s no secret that Sony has not been having the best time in terms of smartphone sales - there are small shoots of recovery thanks to a reorganization of the business, but it’s hard to see how it would have the clout in the market to invest heavily in the next generation of smartphone creation, which would explain why it seems to bring out phones with technology we’d seen the year before.

Indeed even Tomokazu Tajima, Senior VP at Sony Mobile, confirmed to me in 2016, at a journalist’s round table in Tokyo, that Sony struggled to take on the might of Samsung and Apple, stating that the company didn’t want a ‘direct fight’ with those two industry behemoths.

It’s less that the company doesn’t want the fight, but more that it doesn’t have the sales figures to go after Apple and Samsung, so it needs to rely on the technology to do the talking - which is a tough sell when you’ve got Apple ramming the home its camera messaging, Samsung spending big on talking up how it’s new phone is the same as the human eye and Huawei aggressively spending to try and crack the premium market.

Bad timing

One thing this low-key unveiling of the Xperia XZ2 Premium does show is that MWC is a terrible time to be launching phones for some brands. The new phones that emerge don’t come out at a time when consumers are upgrading, and thus the lustre of the ‘flashy new model’ is slightly lost.

But for those that feel Sony should have just shown off XZ2 Premium in Barcelona last month anyway, to whet appetites, consider that it’s not going to be on sale for three or four months, which means what would have been on the stand would be a half-shell of a phone… that’s not good PR.

You almost wish that Sony would skip MWC and do its own launch event to own the narrative, but having so many industry heads and journalists around in Barcelona is too tempting for the brand, it seems.

There is one final thing that’s confusing over the Xperia XZ2 Premium - while being sold ‘globally’, it’s not coming to the UAE or the UK, two pretty useful markets for any smartphone manufacturer and one where premium phones are well-received.

You’d think that the opportunity to sell the phone to as many as possible would make sense, but we don’t have the sales figures for 2017’s Xperia XZ Premium, so it’s hard to say whether those markets really want a 4K screen on their phone.

It’s a shame because - finally - we have 4K content to watch on it. Last year’s Premium was a joy to use when watching 4K HDR footage, and with Amazon and Netflix both streaming said content to your handset it’s a message consumers could have got on board with.

We really need to get our hands on the Sony Xperia XZ2 Premium before making any judgements - and don’t forget, it’s got the older-style 16:9 aspect ratio, meaning big ol’ bezels, and the same inexplicably-poor placement of the fingerprint scanner on the back as the XZ2.

Perhaps this is a halfway ground, and there’s a stunning Sony smartphone coming at IFA later this year. Sony might be small fry in the mobile game compared to the behemoth it once was, but it’s still got a legion of fans and they’ll be hoping that the brand makes some bold decisions soon and starts putting the technology it’s so proud of into a phone that’s truly impressive… and everyone can buy.

Related product: Sony Xperia XZ2
Our Verdict:

5 stars

Sony has removed the design shackles it had laden itself with over recent years to produce a phone in the Sony Xperia XZ2 that now looks better than it ever has, comes equipped with some standout hardware and features (it's the first phone on the market to deliver 4K, HDR recording), and is technically just as powerful if not more so than rival devices. Those bezels are still there though, despite being reduced, and it remains the more head-not-heart choice out of the Android flagships.

FOR
  • Bold, refreshing new design
  • Powerful hardware spec
  • 4K, HDR video capture
  • Good battery life
  • 1080p super slow-mo footage
 AGAINST
  • Bezels are pronounced
  • 3D Creator tool is janky
  • Fingerprint magnet
  •  

Edited by DACH

Supersonic

So fat!!! Jiak sai la. If I got $$$ will buy the new Huawei liao.

I hold the XZ2 in the shop.

It actually don't feel fat if you don't look into the actual measurements. 

But the bulging back is a bug bear since you can't place the phone flat on a flat surface, and the wobbling may cause the phone to drop on the floor.

That's why I am considering the iPhone instead.

Huawei P20/P20 Pro is quite a good phone actually. Screen edge to edge like iphone, and pretty good specs (24 MP camera, 3400 to 4000 mAh battery). Can consider if you are getting Huawei.