High Mileage cars worth renewing COE?

Happyrider

Hi guys,

I drive a 2007 Honda stream RSZ. First owner from new. Current mileage at 435700km. Coe ending nov17.

I have kept up with all servicing and major parts replacement at all major service milestones. So far had replaced all 4 suspension 3 times, alternator once, radiator once, air-conditioning compressor once, air conditioning internal cooling coil once, steering rack once, drive shaft 2 times, linkages replaced every 120k I'm, ATF changed with engine oil every 12k.

Currently using the car to drive Uber/grab for the last 2 years liao.

Thought of changing to carens diesel but find the 3rd row really very squeeze and dun like the drive....but must admit the diesel torque is really impressive.

Had already send the car for a color change respray in feb17 and also rewrap the interior leathers...

What are your thoughts?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Since you're the first owner, you know your car inside out and you have been diligent in changing the wear and tear parts, I would say go ahead and renew COE.

The Honda Stream is quite a mechanically straightforward car to maintain, with not much electronics, unlike Continental cars.

I would even recommend renewing for ten years since it gives you more options; you can't renew any further if you just renew five years.

No point buying a new or a pre-owned car and be saddled with a car loan.

• Praise 2

I don't see a problem with renewing the COE. I renewed mine as well. People tend to mix up "replacement of wear and tear parts" and "repair".

Some keep thinking only cars in Singapore will split into 2 after the 10th year.

• Praise 7

Hi Guys...thanks for the input.

I am thoroughly impressed with Honda's stream's built quality. So far all the replacements done are wear and tear related. No heart attack failures. The engine and gearbox also feels almost no difference from day 1 of ownership. I subscribe to the believe that changing the ATF everything I change engine oil at 12k intervals has a significant impact of the longevity of the gearbox.

My concern will be more of running cost issues. With my extremely high usage cos of my day job and Uber/grab, I am pumping 1 full tank every 2.5 days. That's why I am contemplating of a change to a diesel or hybrid. But the depreciation of a brand new car will be almost $10k to $11k per yr vs $6k per yr ($11k parf + $50k pqp).

Anyone else in the same dilemma as me?

• Praise 1

435k mileage in 10 years is high! Must be great that car is working fine. Maybe when it hits 1mil mileage can inform Honda Japan and they may do something? I say renew the coe!

My car is 2 years old and I'm already thinking of extending Coe at 10 year mark. In fact I just changed to a Koyorak full aluminium radiator hoping it will last 18 years!

• Praise 5

435k mileage in 10 years is high! Must be great that car is working fine. Maybe when it hits 1mil mileage can inform Honda Japan and they may do something? I say renew the coe!

My car is 2 years old and I'm already thinking of extending Coe at 10 year mark. In fact I just changed to a Koyorak full aluminium radiator hoping it will last 18 years!

Haha...u can read my mind! Read that in US 1 Hilux hit 1mil miles and Toyota gave the owner a brand new Hilux. Perfect marketing I would say. How many cars can hit that kind of mileage?

Just to add. The lower arms were replaced at 400k km. The wheel bearings replaced at 280k km. The lower arms were replaced not because of any failure, but more of a preventive nature. Was surprised that steering and front suspension feel improved after the replacement.

• Praise 1

U have already decided. :)

Since u first and only owner, preventive maintenance done, knows condition, driving UG, renew is the best way, lower overall car cost.

Also becos its an old car, if pax mistreat, u oso not too heartpain.

• Praise 1

Hi Guys...thanks for the input.

I am thoroughly impressed with Honda's stream's built quality. So far all the replacements done are wear and tear related. No heart attack failures. The engine and gearbox also feels almost no difference from day 1 of ownership. I subscribe to the believe that changing the ATF everything I change engine oil at 12k intervals has a significant impact of the longevity of the gearbox.

My concern will be more of running cost issues. With my extremely high usage cos of my day job and Uber/grab, I am pumping 1 full tank every 2.5 days. That's why I am contemplating of a change to a diesel or hybrid. But the depreciation of a brand new car will be almost $10k to $11k per yr vs $6k per yr ($11k parf + $50k pqp).

Anyone else in the same dilemma as me?

Atf every 12k is a little extreme. I DIY change my parents toyota wish atf every 20k since new and already find it a little over kill. The drained oil is not much different in color from fresh oil when placed on a tissue paper.
  • Praise 1

Respect...to your car's mileage and ur consistent preventive maintenance. Most owners if they drive to the end, bochup after 7-8 years with the intention of scrapping when the COE's up.

Like some of the advice given, since you are the first owner and know the car inside out, juz go with COE renewal. High mileage with proper PM beats low mileage with no/infrequent PM anytime!

I renewed my car's COE last Jun when the PQP was 46k...mileage was approx. 170k.

• Praise 1

Since you're the first owner, you know your car inside out and you have been diligent in changing the wear and tear parts, I would say go ahead and renew COE.

The Honda Stream is quite a mechanically straightforward car to maintain, with not much electronics, unlike Continental cars.

I would even recommend renewing for ten years since it gives you more options; you can't renew any further if you just renew five years.

No point buying a new or a pre-owned car and be saddled with a car loan.

Agree with this.

Atf every 12k is a little extreme. I DIY change my parents toyota wish atf every 20k since new and already find it a little over kill. The drained oil is not much different in color from fresh oil when placed on a tissue paper.

12k is really extreme.

I would change every 35k and with the money saved

put in a an auto box cooler.

:D  

Maybe I kiasu...but an extra $28.50 every service really wouldn't kill...and it has proven to have kept my gearbox in good condition.

Furthermore, sometimes visual inspection of the drained oil wouldn't be able to tell u much about the lubricating properties of the ATF. Unlike engine oil where some carbon deposits get mixed with the drained EO, thus resulting color change in the oil, in ATF is simply a mechanical lubricant and lubricating properties usually go down over time and usage.

Yes I really Wana renew 10 years for my stream. I still enjoy driving my car very much...and I sorry I will regret if I change to another a car . When in ten years time my youngest child can take bus liao...i can go back to riding bike if car ownership becomes too unaffordable for me.

wow 450k milleage and still going strong ! [thumbsup]

if you treat the car as a workhorse ... dont change

all owner change car mainly because itchy backside [laugh]

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 2

435700 / 12000 x $28.5 = $1,034.78

No service charge?

Your money your call but you are also not saving the earth.

oil is a finite resource and you are not protecting your gearbox any more

which is the real objective right?

Its like buying a chocolate bar eating a quarter

and throwing the rest away.

But if it make you happy why care about the planet.

:D 

You are not confusing engine and auto box oil right?

Engine oil 12k is about right and auto is 40k but most

people kaisu and change at 30k which is ok. 

↡ Advertisement