High Mileage cars worth renewing COE?

Happyrider

at 453k, your steering wheel shows no sig of wear and tear, you rewrap before?

Bro...haven 453k lah...maybe at coe renewal can hit...

Yup wrapped at a reputable leather shop...got 2 zarbor can bio one...

↡ Advertisement

Bro...haven 453k lah...maybe at coe renewal can hit...

Yup wrapped at a reputable leather shop...got 2 zarbor can bio one...

wah good quality must share bro! where?
  • Praise 1

I sense a hint of sarcasm in yr post...

I dun really pay more for my trusted workshop to change the ATF for me at every service...I buy the ATF engine oil and all other parts to my trusted mech and usually a simple oil change service never cost me more than $50 for the labour and time. The car is hoisted up and I get to check the under carriage for any worn parts that may need replacement for next round of service...so all in $28.5(ATF)+$68(idemitsu eco 5w30)+ hamp oil filter $8+$50(labour)+$14(air filter)=$168.5 for a 12k service does it sound expensive? Dun think the workshop will love me for that $50. Haha...

Anyway, I have 435k mileage to proof that my service regime is good enough for my high usage. I have heard other jap BNB cars gearbox up lorry at 180k.

Hi Bro,

Can you please PM the name and contact of your trusted workshop.

Thanks

• Praise 1

stream is a super workhorse. but only those who took care of cars themselves since day 1 can renew. those who did not, have to rehaul many things to renew. actually air con is one of the main problem for honda cars, did you have to fix yours yet?

Aircon clutch was adjusted with washer at 60k. Then the compressor lasted till 280k den kaput. Aircon internal cooling coil replaced at 360k due to leakage. Compressor cost $380 at minghee cor part only for OEM Japan compressor. Cooling coil replaced at markcool for $520 including parts and service

Aircon clutch was adjusted with washer at 60k. Then the compressor lasted till 280k den kaput. Aircon internal cooling coil replaced at 360k due to leakage. Compressor cost $380 at minghee cor part only for OEM Japan compressor. Cooling coil replaced at markcool for $520 including parts and service

Bro, get from Mandrain or Fong tat. Cheaper.

Say hi to Ah Huat at Markcool. [laugh]

TS, i feel u have made up ur mind to renew before u even started this thread. I curious why bother to ask opinion?

I also have a Stream and is close to 9.5 yrs old. Clocked 185k km. After reading your mileage, i am confident mine can last another decade.

• Praise 2

...but, the new car at $80k now cannot match the space and can only sit 5.

Reliability for those $70-80k car also no guarantee. At most free for the first 3 years.

Their new engine and GB might not last 400k too.

I agree with u on the space part. I have heard that a well taken care engine can last 4-500k km no issue. TS has proven that to us. But to push for another 400k km over the next 10 yr? Seriously i doubt it can. Standby a few $k for the engine and GB if really want to renew. Considering this, i still feel new car more worth it. Even enjoying problem free for first 3 yr is good enough.
  • Praise 2

TS, i feel u have made up ur mind to renew before u even started this thread. I curious why bother to ask opinion?

I also have a Stream and is close to 9.5 yrs old. Clocked 185k km. After reading your mileage, i am confident mine can last another decade.

Hi Roh96, yes i have wanted to renew even way back in feb when i send the car for spray and re uphoistery...

But got a close friend keep persuading me that its not a good decision to keep such a high mileage car...everytime i see him he will keep telling me the same trying to make me change my mind. He has his valid points but it really feels weird to wana change car when the car is serving me so well, drives well, looks presentable and i know the car inside out.

Renewing cat b at 50k is not a small decision. So my purpose is seek opinions is to make sure that i have not left any points unconsidered.

I also felt that its a challenge to see how long the engine and gearbox and last with proper maintenance. Gearbox and engine can be overhauled and serviced. The only thing that is out of my control is metal fatigue along with the soldered joints but i have faith that 10 more years is not an issue.

Remember that only in sg cars have a 'lifespan' of 10 years cos of the stupid coe where other countries we see cars used even up to 20 years or more. So with proper maintenance done, i believe my car can at least see out the next 10 yrs coe.

• Praise 2

Hi Roh96, yes i have wanted to renew even way back in feb when i send the car for spray and re uphoistery...

But got a close friend keep persuading me that its not a good decision to keep such a high mileage car...everytime i see him he will keep telling me the same trying to make me change my mind. He has his valid points but it really feels weird to wana change car when the car is serving me so well, drives well, looks presentable and i know the car inside out.

Renewing cat b at 50k is not a small decision. So my purpose is seek opinions is to make sure that i have not left any points unconsidered.

I also felt that its a challenge to see how long the engine and gearbox and last with proper maintenance. Gearbox and engine can be overhauled and serviced. The only thing that is out of my control is metal fatigue along with the soldered joints but i have faith that 10 more years is not an issue.

Remember that only in sg cars have a 'lifespan' of 10 years cos of the stupid coe where other countries we see cars used even up to 20 years or more. So with proper maintenance done, i believe my car can at least see out the next 10 yrs coe.

ok, please proceed to renew. no need for any discussion actually.

Thanks for sharing ur 400+k mileage though. I let go my stream at 200k milieage... cos the major wear & tear parts needs replacing sooner rather than later and I rather spend money to accessories a new car rather than on replacing major wear n tear parts or to respray n reupholster a 10 yr old car.

Hi Happyrider

Wow it is good that you have so much faith in your car. Mine 10 years next month, 11 Oct. Honda City less than 77k mileage. Will renew Coe too. It's a manual transmission car. We used to have 2 cars - that's why mileage is Low. Can you let me know where you did your exterior paint work and its cost? Tks

Haha...u can read my mind! Read that in US 1 Hilux hit 1mil miles and Toyota gave the owner a brand new Hilux. Perfect marketing I would say. How many cars can hit that kind of mileage?

Just to add. The lower arms were replaced at 400k km. The wheel bearings replaced at 280k km. The lower arms were replaced not because of any failure, but more of a preventive nature. Was surprised that steering and front suspension feel improved after the replacement.

lower arm replace only at 400k?? u drive slowly over humps? my previous honda accord i change the lower arm at 160k i think. and its becos it giving noise liao.. you are power man..

Hi Happyrider

Wow it is good that you have so much faith in your car. Mine 10 years next month, 11 Oct. Honda City less than 77k mileage. Will renew Coe too. It's a manual transmission car. We used to have 2 cars - that's why mileage is Low. Can you let me know where you did your exterior paint work and its cost? Tks

Your's is super low mileage for 10 yrs. I scrapped my honda city manual last year after 240K mileage, would not have done so, if the ignition coil and aircon had a problem. Since mine is a DSI engine, the repair bill could have easily 2k, thus decided to scrap and went for short-term 1yr coe left car. Until the last day, all my expenses are on normal servicing and changing the wear and tears. 

lower arm replace only at 400k?? u drive slowly over humps? my previous honda accord i change the lower arm at 160k i think. and its becos it giving noise liao.. you are power man..

I slow down at humps but just normal slow down...not those tortoise type of slow...haha...lower arm got bushing that can get worn out but they typically are quite lasting...

Speaking of humps...its those small at high metal types that are more damaging than those gradual wider types...so when i see those pple speed pass those type of humps i am guessing ifs not their own car or they dun intend to renew coe...haha

Hi Happyrider

City manual sud be super bullet proof. I cant think of anything major that will fail on you except the normal wear and tear...at most is aircon Compressor which sud not set u back by more than $400 for part alone.

ok, please proceed to renew. no need for any discussion actually.

Thanks for sharing ur 400+k mileage though. I let go my stream at 200k milieage... cos the major wear & tear parts needs replacing sooner rather than later and I rather spend money to accessories a new car rather than on replacing major wear n tear parts or to respray n reupholster a 10 yr old car.

Congrats on yr new car...

Different folks different strokes...

I prefer to stick to smtin i know well over the years...knowing the cost of replacement parts which some of them i have gone thru several rounds of replacements...

Even if i were to change to a brand new car...with my mileage...it will become 'old' car in 2 years...haha

I agree with u on the space part. I have heard that a well taken care engine can last 4-500k km no issue. TS has proven that to us. But to push for another 400k km over the next 10 yr? Seriously i doubt it can. Standby a few $k for the engine and GB if really want to renew. Considering this, i still feel new car more worth it. Even enjoying problem free for first 3 yr is good enough.

if i am not wrong, warranty is 3yrs or xx mileage ... a guesstimate based on TS mileage would be 1.5yrs thereabouts

↡ Advertisement