High Mileage cars worth renewing COE?

Happyrider

I will replace the cap everytime i do a coolant change which is abt every 60k to 80k.

Cheap cheap about $20 thereabouts...if can get a japan made one.

Yup...if u wan can meetup for test drive...=)

Does a faulty coolant cap causes engine to drink water?
↡ Advertisement

Does a faulty coolant cap causes engine to drink water?

Coolant cap serves to maintain a desired pressure within the cooling system to ensure proper coolant flow.

If what u meant by engine drink water is coolant leaking into the combustion chamber thus causing white smoke at the exhaust, then is tua kong liao...most prob head gasket blown...except white smoke in the morning caused by water vapour from a cold engine...

Edited by Happyrider

Coolant cap serves to maintain a desired pressure within the cooling system to ensure proper coolant flow.

If what u meant by engine drink water is coolant leaking into the combustion chamber thus causing white smoke at the exhaust, then is tua kong liao...except white smoke in the morning caused by water vapour from a cold engine...

Oic... Thanks for the explanation on the purpose of coolant cap. As for white smoke in the morning, my place often have ppl smoke outside their car early in the morning after they start their cars or bikes

Oic... Thanks for the explanation on the purpose of coolant cap. As for white smoke in the morning, my place often have ppl smoke outside their car early in the morning after they start their cars or bikes

I thought jap car very reliable? My dad used to have a few toyotas that did more than 500k km. All running well even at those kind of mileage. 

Your Dad's Toyotas  must br the late 70's to the early 90's,that time Cars less Electronics,less complication.

I thought jap car very reliable? My dad used to have a few toyotas that did more than 500k km. All running well even at those kind of mileage. 

oh me making a reference to autotrans.

Hi guys,

I drive a 2007 Honda stream RSZ. First owner from new. Current mileage at 435700km. Coe ending nov17.

I have kept up with all servicing and major parts replacement at all major service milestones. So far had replaced all 4 suspension 3 times, alternator once, radiator once, air-conditioning compressor once, air conditioning internal cooling coil once, steering rack once, drive shaft 2 times, linkages replaced every 120k I'm, ATF changed with engine oil every 12k.

Currently using the car to drive Uber/grab for the last 2 years liao.

Thought of changing to carens diesel but find the 3rd row really very squeeze and dun like the drive....but must admit the diesel torque is really impressive.

Had already send the car for a color change respray in feb17 and also rewrap the interior leathers...

What are your thoughts?

You said it, driving Uber/Grab for 2 years. 

Get a new rental vehicle from either one and enjoy your new ride since you are already a PHV driver as profession [drivingcar]

Renew COE and you have to service the loan again .. :wut:

So service a new loan for quota premium or do a rental is up to your take.   -_-

I will replace the cap everytime i do a coolant change which is abt every 60k to 80k.

Cheap cheap about $20 thereabouts...if can get a japan made one.

Yup...if u wan can meetup for test drive...=)

That is the magic on the reliability of a non DSG, CVT or G-Tronic gearbox.

You said it, driving Uber/Grab for 2 years.

Get a new rental vehicle from either one and enjoy your new ride since you are already a PHV driver as profession [drivingcar]

Renew COE and you have to service the loan again .. :wut:

So service a new loan for quota premium or do a rental is up to your take. -_-

I am doing UG part time only doing no more than 4hrs on each day...doing only the 3 peak periods.

I am in service line so need to run around alot. In fact b4 i started UG already clocked 300++k km on the odo liao...

Between renting n renewing i choose to renew

What's the yearly mileage of an average full time PHV car?

Actually quite difficult to say cos firstly i am not Full time driving UG, and my day job alone i am clocking abt 150km per day...

That is the magic on the reliability of a non DSG, CVT or G-Tronic gearbox.

Spot on...The DCT on the Carens is the biggest unknown for me if I were to change. Alot of other new car models also now come in CVT transmission which i believe is alot more difficult and thus costly to rebuild...
  • Praise 2

Your Dad's Toyotas  must br the late 70's to the early 90's,that time Cars less Electronics,less complication.

Ya. Very simple cars. Those I sat in were in the late 80s to early 2000s. Now he not doing transport business so no more high mileage cars. So dunno about modern cars.

I am doing UG part time only doing no more than 4hrs on each day...doing only the 3 peak periods.

I am in service line so need to run around alot. In fact b4 i started UG already clocked 300++k km on the odo liao...

Between renting n renewing i choose to renew

Actually quite difficult to say cos firstly i am not Full time driving UG, and my day job alone i am clocking abt 150km per day...

Spot on...The DCT on the Carens is the biggest unknown for me if I were to change. Alot of other new car models also now come in CVT transmission which i believe is alot more difficult and thus costly to rebuild...

when im doing sales job during 2002, my annual mileage is 60K+.

heng, that time petrol is only 80cents or 90cents per litre.

Office in Pasir Ris, Clients in Jurong area.

really tiring....

• Praise 1

Then i would say you are probably someone who is gentle on the gas pedal.

As much as I tried, none of my jap car lasted a fracttion of yours. That's why I jump ship to conti.

On the contrary, i think i drive my car pretty much like how other honda drivers drive...non-pussy type of driving...haha...

I will play the pedal shifter at times like at traffic lights reving to 3.5k to 4k. Most other times i rev up to 3k to pick up...

My 1st car was the 1st Gen altis...i traded in my my stream at 1 yr 9mths and 40k km of ownership...sadly the altis i had never felt like its able to last me thru the 10 yrs of coe.

when im doing sales job during 2002, my annual mileage is 60K+.

heng, that time petrol is only 80cents or 90cents per litre.

Office in Pasir Ris, Clients in Jurong area.

really tiring....

60k!?

Did u ever tell pple that yr car is yr office?

• Praise 1

Hi TS, like someone else said, your car has already served you well for 400k km, already way past its useful life.

Many breakdown/component failure milestones have already been breeched, and odds of you spending a lot of money in the next 3 years are very high. Regular oil changes certainly helps to retard wear and tear, but it doesn't change anything from old to new.

Expecting the car to last another 400k km without a major engine/gearbox/chassis/electronic failure is optimistic. And with cars, once something fails, its a chain reaction that doesn't stop.

I would instead shop for another 9 year old, good condition, FSH, low mileage, Honda Stream, and renew the COE. I am sure that car can be found if we shopped for it diligently. If you get the right car, say with 120k km mileage, and with your servicing regiment, you can safely add on another 5 years or 200k km before you arrive at same stage of life as your current car.

My gut feel is that most jap cars on normal torque convertor gearbox sud be able to last a really long time with proper maintenace...

Dun understand why the need to have a dual clutch gearbox on a non performance oriented car

Hi TS, when something breaks on an old car, it may not only be an inconvenience, it can also be unsafe.

Some examples:

Metal fatigue can cause suspension turret to crack and collapse while you are at speed.

Engine piston/conrod/crankshaft/bearing can break/fail/seize and jam the engine while at speed, or worse, punch through the engine block, discharging hot engine oil onto hot exhaust - fire risks.

Hydraulic hoses (power steering/brakes) can crack and leak and again cause fire or brake failure.

I don't think these components are maintainable with regular servicing.

• Praise 1

Hi TS, like someone else said, your car has already served you well for 400k km, already way past its useful life.

Many breakdown/component failure milestones have already been breeched, and odds of you spending a lot of money in the next 3 years are very high. Regular oil changes certainly helps to retard wear and tear, but it doesn't change anything from old to new.

Expecting the car to last another 400k km without a major engine/gearbox/chassis/electronic failure is optimistic. And with cars, once something fails, its a chain reaction that doesn't stop.

I would instead shop for another 9 year old, good condition, FSH, low mileage, Honda Stream, and renew the COE. I am sure that car can be found if we shopped for it diligently. If you get the right car, say with 120k km mileage, and with your servicing regiment, you can safely add on another 5 years or 200k km before you arrive at same stage of life as your current car.

Thank you for your suggestion...you have good intentions just like the friend who advised me...

I will think to sell off the car and get another stream of a lower mileage to renew is very doable...assuming the other car is genuine mileage and of reasonably good condition to begin with...

But as with getting any pre owned cars...there is always smtin u dun get to find out until much later...

To quote an extreme analogy...

Pple say their car is like your wife...

She follows u whenever u go...she is there for you whenever u need her...

When 1 day she falls sick, do you

1) bring her see the doctor,

2) ignore her and leave her at home

3) or u change to a new wife?

• Dislike 1

Hi TS, when something breaks on an old car, it may not only be an inconvenience, it can also be unsafe.

Some examples:

Metal fatigue can cause suspension turret to crack and collapse while you are at speed.

Engine piston/conrod/crankshaft/bearing can break/fail/seize and jam the engine while at speed, or worse, punch through the engine block, discharging hot engine oil onto hot exhaust - fire risks.

Hydraulic hoses (power steering/brakes) can crack and leak and again cause fire or brake failure.

I don't think these components are maintainable with regular servicing.

Hi ToeKnee,

Very well said and valid points that you have brought up. I will give the car a thorough inspection of the areas that you highlighted b4 i renew coe.

If these areas have shown signs of failing, i will re assess the viability of renewing.

Thank you for bringing these up...

Cheers!

↡ Advertisement